Sign in to follow this  
Courier (DayZ)

REALISTIC suggestions - sickness, drugs and weapons

Realistic as in modifications I think the game engine can actually support. I'm 100% sure all of these have already been mentioned but I'd like to see them documented in my own topic which I can follow.

Sickness

Already in the game, will most likely be refined, but I think it's a little... wrongly executed? How about you lose more blood when you're attacked? Bleeding and broken bones take more than one bandage or morphine injector? What about if your vision was slightly obscured and darkened - what if the lower your temperature the louder your character COUGHS and alerts enemies? Possible vomiting could be scripted in the same way as random bouts of falling unconscious when you're low on blood and this could lead to dehydration.

Melee weapons

Yeah, yeah. This again. I don't even think it's possible, but couldn't you script a "weapon" that fires a projectile at a max range of 3 meters? And the skin and animation for that weapon wouldn't be a gun firing - it could be an arm swinging an axe. Is this possible?

Drugs

Yes: probably the most sought after feature in the game. Enhanced abilities with the drawback of withdrawal that in this case would tie into my sickness idea.

Cannibalism

Attributed to dead players only. A nice human rump roast can effectively cure as much blood as regular grilled animal meat (or maybe more because of the rarity) but with some kind of drawback, also. Sickness again? Hey, maybe if the person you eat has a cold you'd catch that, too! In real life (I don't want to be another guy who rants about "realism" in this game when it's about a mother fucking zombie apocalypse) I remember reading you can't actually survive off of human flesh - maybe that could play a part in this.

Title updated to reveal my genius. Behold.

Not so sure on the cannibalism, mainly because food is pretty easy to find. But I do like the rest of your ideas :)

I think your suggestion about sickness would be an improvement. However there should be several different kinds of sickness players can suffer from, each with thier own symptoms (fever vs cold sweats, nausea or fatigue). Another aspect that hasn't been accounted for is, will there be snow/colder weather during real-world winter? Will/should there be an in-game "flu season"?

For melee weapons, what you suggest is pretty much how the zombie attack currently works. So I don't see why it shouldn't be available to players.

Cannabilism is do-able too. It shouldn't however offer any more or any less nutritional benefits than other kinds of meat. But there are health problems related to long-term cannabilism, such as exposure to human-specific pathogens/parasites. I don't think cannabilism is necessary but it should be considered just as valid a survival tactic as murder. Perhaps something more useful would be the ability to cut off someone's arm and throw it to distract the zombies.

(I don't want to be another guy who rants about "realism" in this game when it's about a mother fucking zombie apocalypse)

Except for the zombies' date=' everything should be as realistic as possible. No photon blasters.

Realism = scary and challenging

[hr']

Not so sure on the cannibalism' date=' mainly because food is pretty easy to find. But I do like the rest of your ideas :)

[/quote']

I don't think people will kill for beans anymore. They'll kill for your rump roast!

Maybe human meat can have other benefits, then. What those are within the confinements of reality are beyond me. Perhaps you could harvest the blood from corpses into an empty blood transfusion bag?

I still think there should be a stronger emphasis on sickness like I've described to maintain yourself in game. I live off the grid: my only worry is food and water. Should I catch a virus, my world would be turned upside down.

Yeah drugs like in Fallout NV would be nice, you get enhanced abilities but when used too much you could get addicted, and then get negative effects if you don't get more. But there's no doctor in Chernarus for rehab :)

Not sure what drugs could enhance in DayZ tho, more speed, less fatique, or something? But yeah I support any feature involving realism.

Drugs

Alcohol

+replacement for heat

+replacement for painkiller

+temporary additional 1k blood

-non temporary drop of 200 blood

-temporary nausea (>slight< head roll)

Green

+replacement for painkiller

+temporary additional 1k blood

+non temporary additional 200 blood

+temporary suppression of infection

-temporary delusion (+ or -, could be fun)

-15% chance of panic (lasting 10 seconds)

-slight drop in temperature

Unfortunately (or fortunately) that's all the idea's I can give you on drugs :)

Cannibalism

Brilliant and actually pretty realistic. Who isn't going to eat the meat off a BBQ'ed finger after being bean-less for 5 days? :E

+hunger indicator turns green (nourishment)

-no blood given

-slight humanity level drop

-6% chance of sickness

If ammo is lessened, I could see bandits being re-coined as cannibals which would seem more fitting in a zed apoc.

That's true, especially with the sickness idea. Be sick should make you do more noises, making more difficult to sneak throught cities with zombies.

Also, this kind of feature should impact on player detection as well (you could be able to hear a distinct cought from a human player, if it's sick and in direct communication range).

Well, at this stage I'm still thinking more emphasis on self preservation. Zombies are yet to be a real "threat" and the world is far too big to be truly unsafe if you're not near the coast. Forcing people back into towns to scavenge is a good thing.

The alcohol shouldn't help your heat. Sure in real life it feels nice and warm but but it doesn't help you. I think that you should be able to eat the raw meat that you get from butchering animals but if you don't cook it it should have a chance to make you sick.

I like the idea of cannibalism and sickness a lot, it would be nice to have these intertwined together.

It would be more realistic, I could suggest possible addiction to only eating human flesh, which can then give buffs to your blood, but obviously the negatives are the sicknesses you can get from it.