majataka

Arma 2 running smooth. But OA and DayZ has fps problems

So I bought Arma 2 + OA and installed DayZ 2 days ago.

My PC is a high end top notch pc.

I tried Arma 2, it runs all smooth on Very High settings. 40~ fps. (At any place, desert, open areas, tight cities)

I tried Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead, it runs 30-35~ fps in plains and huge opens spaces, but in tight places like cities and vilages the fps drops to 15-20-25.)

I tried DayZ. Runs just like OA. Low FPS in open areas and UNPLAYABLE in areas like Cherno And Elektro and all the other cities and villages.

The FPS stay the same ay any graphic setting.

F.eksample:

DayZ, Very High, Cherno, 15 FPS

DayZ Very Low, Cherno, 15 FPS

Arma 2, Very High, Cherno, 40 FPS

Arma 2, Very Low, Cherno, 40 FPS

The game itself doesn't lag. But there is some problem with the expansion OA and DayZ.

This is what I have tried

Changing

GPU_MaxFramesAhead

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead

to 1,

And some other file edits that I don't remember as I deleted OA (For an reinstall)

I have seen this problem appear to many other people on these forums

Even CYRI confirms that I can run it

mp_rp_7.gif

You Have: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T Processor

You Have: 3.3 GHz (No overclock)

You Have: 8.2 GB (RAM)

You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

You Have: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Pixel Shader version 5.0

Vertex Shader version 5.0

Dedicated Video RAM 4.0 GB

You Have: Apowersoft_AudioDevice (Sound)

Why does the fps problem only occur to DayZ and Operation Arrowhead and not Arma 2 (Vanilla)?

Been using the Six Launcher. I even ran dayZ with the CpuCount=6 in preferences (Which didn't help)

I had DayZ (v 1.7.2.6)

I can run all the other games on Ultra High settings like BF3 and Guild Wars 2 without problems. So what is the problem here?

I feel like I wasted some money here :/ Been trying to fix this for the last 2 days since I got it. Impossible to kill a zombie in a city with any gun...

Please help me out

Oh and also the CPU usage wasn't high at all. Somewhere between 30-60%. The heck? I have nothing else running that uses more than 30k kb.

Edited by Majataka

DayZ needs a lot of CPU and HDD-Speed. CPU usage is because of the AI of the Zeds. That's why Arma2 itself runs smoothly and DayZ not.

Are you sure you have latest chipset drivers installed? Is any automatic underclocking of the CPU (energy saving mode) set up? If so, deactivate that!

You can also try to put DayZ in a RAM-disk. Tutorials are on Youtube.

Temporary out of this. Destoryed my Arma 2 OA completely. Tried to apply ARMA2OA_Update_160 which gave me "A2 OA is not installed blah blah" then I started to play around inside the registry of Arma. Then I got it to find the game but then it says wrong CD key and shit. Deleted everything regs, fodlers, saves and all the other stuff and reinstalling the game completely... Let's hope that I didn't screw up the game pernamently... If so... I can only wait for WarZ and/or DayZ standalone..

I'll come back here when both games are installed. Then the first thing I do is the RAM disk thing. It looks promising.

Both games are from steam. So I don't think I had to screw up my game by trying to apply patches and beta patches...

Or do I?

I just got an new rig with a SSD. Coming from a 7200RPM HDD, I didn't see a huge increase in FPS. The load time is much faster, but sometimes it doesn't really matter because the server itself might be causing load delays (waiting for character to create, etc).

So as far as FPS is concerned, I don't think my SSD has really done much. But it is definitely a lot faster in terms of loading times. I really like it for that reason alone. Windows is much snappier, too. I can completely reboot in 19 seconds flat.

Here's my system:

intel i5 3570K @ 3.4GHz

EVGA GTX 670 FTW

8 GB 1600MHz RAM

256 GB Crucial M4 SSD

1 TB 7200 RPM Wester Digital Caviar Black

Corsair AX850 PSU

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro motherboard

With those specs, I get anywhere from 50-70 FPS in the wilderness (generally around 60 on average), but it can drop as low as 34ish when I look at a city such as Cherno. Bear in mind that I'm running the game pretty much completely maxed at 1920x1080.

Edited by lukeman3000

I believe removing shrubs and grass will usually give up to 5 to even 15 more fps. Some may consider this cheating though. Try disabling Vsync.

My high end and top notch pc......Amd Phenom IIx6 1100AMD

AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

ahhahahahahahhahahahahaahha

ahahhahahahhahahahah