Aerthemis

Make a fort/base

I bought ArmA II OA before I actually knew DayZ existed,

When playing ArmA II OA I loved the feature to create your own base, isn't this a good idea for DayZ?

Make your own fort and defend yourself against zombies and bandits?

and a good place to leave your cars and Heli's.

A way to make this realistic is to have like some sortof hardware shop around cities and towns where you can get like wood and other resources to make a fort.

Good idea?

Great idea! Wood we get from tree, but we need tools to do that. Making a base must be harder than making a helicopter... and inside these base, we can start a trading culture.

Like, I, my friends, and friends of my friends, group to make a base. We only allow to enter people that we trust, and inside our base, we can have store of resources, and start trading.

So you take a AKM in exchange of your tons of M49 ammunitions, and so on!

A base CAN be penetrated and owned ONLY if there are "owners" logged in the server, to avoid to it fall when the people are sleep. The same to enter it, when no owner opened it, no one can enter, but can open the way with gunpowder =] . So the base need maintenance(?) over time

AWESOME idea, I can't believe more ppl isn't complaining about this feature, some barricades would make staying at a city even more complex of an experience.-

The next step to barricades could be the fort u mentioned.

I like it! lots of ideas for structures, fighting postions, barricaded buildings and what not floating around.

What's to stop anyone who wants to get into your base from just server-hopping into the middle of it and opening fire, then burning it all to the ground once you're dead?

Artificial fortifications don't have much meaning in Day Z, and making large camps also makes you really visible (and from the implication that large camps mean large loot and large groups, a big target).

Server junping could be dodged by making only specific zones build-able, and also making those places spawn-unable zones, so if u disconnect in that zone, u would reconnect like 20 meters away, but still near the place.

Further more when trying to dc there the server would tell u that can't be done, that way avoiding that instant dc and alt+f4 methods. In case those methods are used, previous solution would be implemented.

So, if u wanna barricade a position, u would be able to do it at windows and door positions, and if u wanna build a fort, the mechanic would be the same as the vehicles, u need to find remmnants of a previous usable structure, and fortify it. This way u also avoid the server being filled by 100 forts, and also avoid them being in impossible places, like on the side of an elevated terrain.-

The idea is obvious, and there are no more disadvatages in it than vehicle mechanics cause its almost the same, only detail is that u won't be moving in it, you would be using to spend some safe time, o

Still only a suggestion.

Also, to avoid survivors over populating the zone, building or barricading would make near zombies converge on the position. That way survivors have more choices to make: join the construction team and risk total party kill, join it and loot all the materiales and create pandemia, or get the hell away from them.

Like the idea of Forts.

For protection there is always the future update of traps. Based on what I have been hearing in the Forum.

But there is no way to make it fortified so players won't loot or steal Helo.

Tents can be looted while your away so there is no way to protect from this except building a large pool/ community since there is a higher chance that someone will be on the server who would protect the area. You would have to build a community.

Lot of great ideas, I heard in a E3 video that DayZ is maybe a seperate release of the ArmA III game, they are planning to take out the awesome parts of that engine I heard so maybe the building part as well :D

I figured it was just a matter of time before suitable things from the base game were added. We already have barbwire, and I believe that was a test.

Yeah, I saw "sandbags" and "sandbag_walls" in a SP Wrapper of DayZ, maybe that is just the beginning?

awesome, actually sandbags are great, but what if you build a sandbag fort that's accessible only from a hill and zombies just bump into them, wouldn't that be an exploit?

I don't know, last time I checked you could only use sandbags on flat surface's.

awesome' date=' actually sandbags are great, but what if you build a sandbag fort that's accessible only from a hill and zombies just bump into them, wouldn't that be an exploit?

[/quote']

I can't really afford a high end pc' date=' and I would need a pretty expensive one if i want the game to run in the highest settings. It would also not make sense if i buy a pc JUST for this game. Anyway, what is the best gaming pc out there? (Best graphics and the one that runs the best) I am a complete noob on pc's so help me out lol.

[/quote']

zeds currently walk through sandbags, and how would it be an exploit in your scenario when the sandbags are doing their job at holding the zombies back?

What's to stop anyone who wants to get into your base from just server-hopping into the middle of it and opening fire' date=' then burning it all to the ground once you're dead?

Artificial fortifications don't have much meaning in Day Z, and making large camps also makes you really visible (and from the implication that large camps mean large loot and large groups, a big target).

[/quote']

Well there should be added utility to having one that makes it a reason to take the risk of it being visible and attractive to demolish and loot to other players. Like a MASSIVE amount of storage, deer hunting towers, med tents that spawn blood packs (but not too often, and not to the amount of a hospital). Keeping it should NOT be easy.

I also think constructing one should require a good amount of different materials and not be easy either. Obviously only a organized team of players should even want one, cause they have to defend it. So they should have to work together to get the different materials for it as well.

For lone-wolf style players I think what rocket suggested, like a cabin or something, that is much easier to build would solve the problem of them feeling left out too much.

A mechanic for zombies to spawn near it and attract to it I think should happen as well. This also adds some stress still to players building one way out of bounds.

The thing you have to be careful of when you allow bases, is we probably don't want them to turn into "save points". A group of guys would just keep all their stuff there and whenever they die/spawn they hike it over there and gear up thanks to their buddies in the safety of their base.

In other words, bases shouldn't be too easy to protect, and they should be destructible by other players. One believable way was already mentioned - a static base could naturally attract more and more zombies over time.

Roaming hordes could provide a believable mechanism.

The thing you have to be careful of when you allow bases' date=' is we probably don't want them to turn into "save points". A group of guys would just keep all their stuff there and whenever they die/spawn they hike it over there and gear up thanks to their buddies in the safety of their base.

In other words, bases shouldn't be too easy to protect, and they should be destructible by other players. One believable way was already mentioned - a static base could naturally attract more and more zombies over time.

Roaming hordes could provide a believable mechanism.

[/quote']

Well they would have to log off at the base. Also, they would have to have players they trust to log on and patrol for certain times. If that's the closest it comes to a save point, that's fine I would say.

I think that the roaming hordes that have been mentioned would be a great idea.If you build a base your going to make noise and probably have light sources at night.Someone or something will probably notice eventually.

Ya we need to be able to make bases or forts, we have hatchets and can carry around an engine block in our pocket, no reason we shouldn't be able to scrounge for building materials. In RL you can make an entire house with just a hatchet and a stand of trees.

There's thousands of structures that could provide building materials, There's tin sided shacks, doors we could rip off, shit like that.

I support this idea.

One think i noticed is though if you build a small building you could place it in the woods and never be noticed though i guess that's the point why not add in factions while were at it.