Sign in to follow this  
Survivalist (DayZ)

MERGED: Armor and protection

I was playing with the idea of different armors with different statistics such as inventory space, defensive stats and movement restriction. Rarely lootable from other players and commonly lootable from equipment stashes in for example warehouses. You could have more choice, scout equipment, heavy combat equipment or a more balanced set with slightly less inventory space. Maybe three tiers of these armors, starting out with the weakest you could work your way up to the heavy duty stuff. Your attire itself could be degrading at a very slow pace (upon taking damage). I'm not suggesting much of a stat boost when it comes to protection, maybe a 20% increased resistance to bullets and a 40% increase to zombie melee for the top tier.

The mod doesn't have a good progression in how you become stronger as you survive, for good reasons. However this also means there's not much progression in the gameplay. Armor could change this all and add some kind of end game purpose to surviving, travel to the riskiest locations for a chance at the best armor. More stuff to collect before you get that feeling of "I have everything I want". Meanwhile the damage resistance really isn't enough to turn you into some kind of unkillable badass but just enough to add some flavor in terms of progression as a survivor.

Power armor, Enclave power armor, super extra alien plasma armor pl0x :D

The way ballistics currently work take into account the fact that you should be wearing body armor, at least. I'm not even sure if different tiers of armor are possible, either, due to limitations of the Arma 2 engine.

I would like it, but being more resilient almost defeats the point of the mod. You should feel vulnerable, like life could end at any point. Besides, it should only have a decent affect against other players; Kevlar is not good at stopping blunt force trauma, and heavier armors would make it much harder to move silently, making you a slowly walking dinner bell.

I think an armor or any kind of protection would make it way too hard for newer players or lets say then respawned players. Right now on this subject I would say its perfect. Rather think of other things to add/modify.

Most body armor doesn't stop rifle bullets like 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.56 NATO or 7.62 NATO. Those body armors that do have ceramic plates and they weight a lot. For example the Interceptor body armor weighs around 15kg with all the ceramic plates and neck and groin protection. That's as much as 16 loaded AK-47 30rd steel mags or 33 loaded M16 30 round mags.

The bandit system is absolutely awful in my opinion. I just lost humanity for killing some jackass that killed my friend. Then, I bled to death and respawned. We were heading to the hospital to do blood transfusions so I could lose my banditry and he needed the blood. Now I'm even further away from redeeming myself.

The bandit model looks pretty cool, though. I think we should add some sort of armor or faction system. I'd like to see different factions - communists, fascists, rebels, etc. to be warring over different establishment while survivors just try to make a living.

The bandit system is absolutely awful in my opinion. I just lost humanity for killing some jackass that killed my friend. Then' date=' I bled to death and respawned. We were heading to the hospital to do blood transfusions so I could lose my banditry and he needed the blood. Now I'm even further away from redeeming myself.

The bandit model looks pretty cool, though. I think we should add some sort of armor or faction system. I'd like to see different factions - communists, fascists, rebels, etc. to be warring over different establishment while survivors just try to make a living.

[/quote']

Rebels against what...? It is too soon into the apocalypse to have factions based on ideology. I would rather just have different skins be available for players.

Absolutely, bandit skin broke the aproach ameplay, most of the player shoot bandit on sight, and i got the skin by defending myself !

Rebels against what...? It is too soon into the apocalypse to have factions based on ideology. I would rather just have different skins be available for players.

Rebels against the authoritarian (not so) communists and the fascists. Basically, hippies that want to destroy any attempt that people make to restore order to the area. He's a police officer - kill him!

Imo, the only thing that is going to reduce damage is a Kevlar vest + helmet.

Then again its not reducing damage. I'ts Increasing your chance to survive against a bullet, this game is'nt about shiny lewts and better cooling looking characters. It's about making it realistic to the point that's enjoyable, varied clothes for /fatigue /speed /survive-ability is a cool concept, i dont like your damage reduction idea though.

And the longer you survive you do get stronger, smarter, better equipped.

'spose its just how you play :)

Hello dear developers

Sorry for my English I'm from Russia

I want to tell you. Thank you for this game

And to offer a few ideas

In the first game to introduce different types of body armor (camouflage would also be nice to see)

Masks and helmets

And to add more weapons

Just enter the stamina or equivalent in the form of fatigue or something in this type of

Still not a bad thing to do was need for sleep

If you have had such thoughts excuse me =)

Armor could change this all and add some kind of end game purpose to surviving' date=' travel to the riskiest locations for a chance at the best armor. More stuff to collect before you get that feeling of "I have everything I want". Meanwhile the damage resistance really isn't enough to turn you into some kind of unkillable badass but just enough to add some flavor in terms of progression as a survivor.

[/quote']

I think it's a bit individualist to look at it that way. "end game" if there even is one - let's just call it a superobjective - should be some kind of stability which would require the actions of more than one person. This applies both to co operative "moral" players and bandits. Both want stability in different forms.

To be more specific, things like base building, getting vehicles running, establishing a water and food supply and so on.