gta27ita

28 DayZ Later

Hello guys,

I think it would be really nice if the stand-alone version of dayz had the same atmosphere of the movie "28 Days Later". More precisely, imagine a setting more urban, of course not exclude a suburban area with forest vegetation and ideal for makeshift camps away from the zombies. One or two cities large enough to accommodate about 20,000 people ... zombie, with at least 50% of the buildings explorable, where to run into groups of angry zombies. Buildings should be of metropolitan mold, maybe in the style of "The last of us". In addition, the zombies should behave like in the movie above, perhaps making them quite strong and durable. The weapons then, especially rifles and large caliber weapons, should be retrievable only in plausible places, as an armory, a police station, a prison and so on. In homes, you will rarely find pistols. In short, not only the player should be afraid of ambushes by groups of bandits camped in some building and waiting for an unsuspecting survived, but in situations with a dozen or more zombies, the only option when it is alone should be run, and in the case of large buildings with several floors, the flight would be very claustrophobic, sending panicked the player. Here, it must be the feeling of panic to lead players to be afraid, especially when you browse an abandoned building alone, maybe with many apartments.

I hope I have given some useful ideas!

Edited by gta27ita
  • Like 2

it is difficult because a lot of zombies would bring down the server, then more variety of zed and building is always welcome..

• Like 1

most computers are getting their asses kicked by having 100 zombies on the map at one time, but 20k?

Fun idea, but very tough to implement.

if they implement that then I think they would need to come up with some extremely complex "escape routes".

Think about it, if you're trapped in a building and the stairwells are clogged with the undead and there's no way you can run around them, you would be looking all over for ways to get da eff outta there, smash a window, crawl on a ledge, slide down a drain pipe, repel down the building (this would be really fun actually, granted you have a rope).

It would make the game more interesting and fun, but just thinking about the different situations and ways one might think of to survive is insane.

most computers are getting their asses kicked by having 100 zombies on the map at one time, but 20k?

Fun idea, but very tough to implement.

Is this because they are online? Could you have more offline?

What is the limitation of npc's on screen at one time?

I have no idea of how the engine works, but I think it should not be necessary to manage all the zombies at the same time the client side, as they would be scattered in an urban environment of about 40 square kilometers, and most would be inside buildings, for which is not visible from the outside. Probably for the server is not an easy situation to handle, but I do not think it is impossible. After all, there are several mmo with a crowd like that. Obviously if the engine is not designed to handle this type of situation then it should be resized, maybe you could come down to a few thousand of zombies and one or two cities of about 20 square kilometers. However, I think that the most important part is just the design of urban environments, because currently they are too bare in terms of models and rather static, ie there is very little movement on the screen. You should have the feeling of being in a real city, with street furniture, the roads, the dead in the streets etc.. I would say the deserted London of "28 Days Later" makes a very good idea. Good also the idea of ​​using a rope to rappel maybe from a window or a roof, in the absence of another can return extremely useful.

Edited by gta27ita

the offline is not a bad idea too. at least something like a tutorial

offline should be easier to manage, but as far as online, I don't think you could have individual differences client side, because it's dependent on the server, not each individual computer, as far as I know.

I really hope Rocket and the team will make different maps for dayz standalone. City map included.

Playing in a big city with really tall buildings will be fun - more places to snipe from, more places to run for cover, more places to run away from angry zeds.

I was thinking that in an urban setting, there is no need to build shelters, but you could adapt one of the many apartments or homes that are located in a big city. Protecting doors and windows with wooden boards, operate a refrigerator with a power generator and then put some of the food, have some sort of trunk where you can stow drugs, weapons and so on. Furthermore, it would make the game more horror, because even during the day you would need flashlights to explore the dark buildings, which can also be full of zombies (I am reminded of the scene in "I Am Legend" in which the protagonist enters the 'building to search for the dog). In addition, other players may enter our hiding place and steal our reserves while we are in search of food or weapons. Maybe to make life more difficult for bandits could set traps near the refuge. Furthermore, once dead, would lose all that one has in the inventory, but once respawned at any point of the map, players may try to return to their shelter, or may occupy one of another player. Obviously, in case of a city like London, it would take a good orientation, making the game even more immersive. One might also add, maybe later, the subway tunnels to move more safely.

Edited by gta27ita
  • Like 2

I was thinking that in an urban setting, there is no need to build shelters, but you could adapt one of the many apartments or homes that are located in a big city. Protecting doors and windows with wooden boards, operate a refrigerator with a power generator and then put some of the food, have some sort of trunk where you can stow drugs, weapons and so on. Furthermore, it would make the game more horror, because even during the day you would need flashlights to explore the dark buildings, which can also be full of zombies (I am reminded of the scene in "I Am Legend" in which the protagonist enters the 'building to search for the dog). In addition, other players may enter our hiding place and steal our reserves while we are in search of food or weapons. Maybe to make life more difficult for bandits could set traps near the refuge. Furthermore, once dead, would lose all that one has in the inventory, but once respawned at any point of the map, players may try to return to their shelter, or may occupy one of another player. Obviously, in case of a city like London, it would take a good orientation, making the game even more immersive. One might also add, maybe later, the subway tunnels to move more safely.

I would love to see that

I was thinking that in an urban setting, there is no need to build shelters, but you could adapt one of the many apartments or homes that are located in a big city. Protecting doors and windows with wooden boards, operate a refrigerator with a power generator and then put some of the food, have some sort of trunk where you can stow drugs, weapons and so on.

Only if it is only about 50% secure and can still be "broken in to" in your absence. There should be no secure storage areas.

The increase in zombies will make me lag more arguments are invalid.

66: Q: Are you going to work on optimization of the game engine to increase FPS? It seems that now you can only play comfortably in DayZ if you have the newest top hardware. [Hopss]

A: Very significant optimization is being done, much of it already in progress. An example being the zombies themselves. Their current models are high detail character models, with seperate heads from bodies. This means the model has eight "sections", each section effectively represents a pass by the GPU. Less sections = better performance. Imagine you have 30 zombies on your screen, that is 150 passes alone that must be done for zombies. We can easily optimize this down to 1 section per zombie without any loss in quality of the models (but initially, a loss in variation till we make more models). So 150 to 30 sections in a scene, for the zombies alone, is a good result. This is just a simple example of the many options available to us that are already in progress.

From; http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94985-28-dayz-later/

It would really help if people on this forum would start stalking Rocket. He gives plenty of information and shares a lot of his ideas on DayZ standalone. It would help avoid making mistakes and poor arguments.

This all aside I would also like some cities to be a bit bigger, maybe have most cities get a couple of extra streets worth of residential zoning,