dev0

Immobilizers aka wheel locks aka car clamps

The whole point is in forcing the thief to break the car before he is able to steal it. Giving it a "workaround" by allowing it to be removed without breaking the wheel would stifle the sought after effect. Also, requiring the crowbar the to remove the wheel clamp would give the crowbar an actual use in the game. In the end though it does not matter if a crowbar or a toolbox is the item required to remove a wheel clamp, as long as the tire breaks while removing it forcibly.

It would just require a toolbox to break it, that's the limit of the engine. Otherwise they would just empty the vehicle and blow it up what would happen in most if not all cases when they can't take the vehicle. It's called scorched earth.

Edited by Enforcer

Your sarcasm is meaningless to me.

Sarcasm is meaningless on the internet, as there is no way to accurately gauge the tone of someone's text.

I genuinely do hope your server is fun for you, and whomever you may bring upon it. It just isn't the way I enjoy playing.

It appeared sarcastic, because everyone here is usually a jerk and because that's the kind of jerk thing to say along with "don't let the ass hit you on the door on the way out*." and "aww QQing again?"

* Yeah I know.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Pound, fence, guards, dogs = car protection. Just like RL.

Edited by disorder

Back to the topic indeed. And perhaps some day I might check out your server.

I believe there has already been discussions on being able to camo-net your cars, and hide them more effectively. A player could literally walk past a car in heavy plant life without knowing it was there.

As it is, clamp style wheel locks would be both unrealistic to find, and honestly wouldn't contribute anything to the experience. As others have said, it would just make it more likely for the would be thief to loot the gear in the car, then frag it to teeny, tiny pieces. Lacking a grenade, a lot of other people would use other means to destroy or make the car unusable.

Back to the topic indeed. And perhaps some day I might check out your server.

I believe there has already been discussions on being able to camo-net your cars, and hide them more effectively. A player could literally walk past a car in heavy plant life without knowing it was there.

As it is, clamp style wheel locks would be both unrealistic to find, and honestly wouldn't contribute anything to the experience. As others have said, it would just make it more likely for the would be thief to loot the gear in the car, then frag it to teeny, tiny pieces. Lacking a grenade, a lot of other people would use other means to destroy or make the car unusable.

In fact, when I talked about this with my Squad, we also talked about camo nets, bear traps and spring guns or makeshift mines as a means to secure a vehicle (or stash in general). I am well aware, that camo nets have been suggested throughouly, so I decided not to suggest them again. Regarding spring guns, I am not sure how to technically implement them in a way that would work: how do you set them up, how do you place the trip wire?

Wheel clamps just seem like the easiest to implement while providing a reasonable strong effect.

I can see how a wheel clamp might just make any possible thief into a vandal, simply destroying the car or rendering it unusable by e.g. shooting all tires. So a wheel clamp is not an automated underground parking lot with security doors. Point taken. But nevertheless: an immobilized vehicle is better than no vehicle. A destroyed vehicle is better than a vehicle in possession of some stranger. And in the end, the incentive to move out and simply steal a car from someone is still lowered, since it will actually cost you something to do so. This will have an effect on how many people ever even find your vehicle, since it will have an effect on how many people are willing on investing these additional resources to steal a vehicle. People not interested in stealing a vehicle will not move out to find one.

You would probably not find wheel clamps in most locations available in DayZ. But then again it is highly unlikely to have historical Enfields just lying around in residential areas...

this is a little off topic, but the enfield rifle is actually still quite common. millions were manufactured during the 20th century and is still in target practice and service use in some countries, such as the UK and canada, and modified enfields are popular sports hunting rifles in the US. the enfield design has been a favourite of afghani/pakistani mujahideen since they were given hundreds of thousand of them by the americans in the 80s, enfield replicas are even still produced in afghanistan. basically any place where the AK is the most common weapon today, you will often still find many enfields around, they are anything but scarce. my friend has four WWII era enfields that were given to him by his father, still in perfectly serviceable condition (hence why they are still so common). he hasn't tried to sell them because the market is flooded and he wouldn't get much for them.