Sign in to follow this  
MadMaddin

Is it wrong to build up a camp?

Hi i've got a question...

is it wrong to build up a camp with friends?

Situation:

we build a camp with tents an loot weapons, can, blood and so on...

we are playing with 5 or 6 players over 20 h to fill up the camp and what happens???

there are guys that teleport to us, shoot us down and crash the tents >:( >:( >:(

they hide our bodies and so on...

so here is the question:

Is it wrong to build up a camp so that other players destroy it?

I always thought building a camp was a good idea. I mean I thought the whole point of the mod was to survive. Building a camp is one of the main objectives on my to do list in dayz.

Edited by ocelot20
  • Like 1

Pointless maybe even stupid but not wrong.

It's not pointless, or stupid at all, if you won't make it blatantly obvious and visible from miles away.

The only thing I'm kinda bothered by with having tents is the fact that "dupers" are pretty hated upon and it just so happens that my tents keep spawning the items every restart that I've saved.

But hell, I'd be stupid not to use it. If my tent has gear I need, I'm taking it. Not my fault the tents don't work as they should.

And when you get them to finally save, it's kind of like the ultimate reward; Getting to keep your stuff for as long as the tent isn't destroyed. And it's free gear for everyone... someone loots the tent? Who cares, it'll be full when the server restarts...

So it IS beneficial. But broken as hell as of now. (I had set 8 tents and 1 saved the gear on first restart. Now the other tents are starting to work.. now that they deleted all the items in them once ;P .... And one of my tent is so inside a tree that every now and then after a server restart, the tree it's under has fallen and the tent is flat, and every now and then it's perfectly hidden and working in the treebranches.. So they kinda move a bit every restart... Tents work in mysterious ways.)

• Like 1

Dude tents DO work in mysterious ways.

I have had a few tents and never had a good result.

Tent 1) disappeared

2) Works, and is on the world's most laggy and forgotten server. Good luck even walking up to it. Total crap. I abandoned playing there.

YOU HEAR ME YOU MOFOS WHO RUN 3082??!?!? LOL

3) Works, but bugged out and lost EVERYTHING.

Tents, more or less my endgame so to speak, have failed me. God this crap better work properly in the stand-alone.

• Like 1

On the server I am on now I don't have any problems with tents. Actually I've went up very far up north outside of general north transit areas and started building a tent city.

It's a fun thing to do, but as always, don't get attached to your gear. If you do it you must accept that it MIGHT be gone in the blink of an eye.

I have never once found and put up a tent. I've found many but never got to the point of putting up one of my own. I've been searching for over 20 days now and still not found a tent. So good luck to you, have fun with them. :thumbsup:

Im starting to have good luck with mine, although after a restart they were all just gone. then next restart they were back. gear was still inside, but i had a backpack full of car parts, and inside the backpack all the items seem to get deleted upon restart so beware of packing backpacks full and stuffing them into your tent, could be a waste!

Hi i've got a question...

Hell no its not wrong. It is just a matter of what you want from the game. The beauty of DayZ is that everything is at risk all the time. Keep that in mind and don't get to attached. For me a camp is pointless. My style of play is if i cant carry it on my back i dont need it. I dont even use vehicles. Well i have used a bike on a few occasions and drove a truck into a ditch just for kicks once.

Do what you enjoy and enjoy it while it lasts.

I can confess to duping items. Firstly, items are duped regardless everyday, because items spawn anew if the tent was saved prior to a server restart. Secondly, dying to scripters by killings, mass killings or teleportation is no fun and having surplus items reduce the annoyances when having to gear up (again). Also, there are other ways for duping items that are too tempting to not use when needed.

Edited by Treehugger

I dont think there pointless at all, if you scatter your tents on other servers at key points they can help you get back on your feet rapidly if you die. Im no more than a 15 minite run from everything i need upon respawn ;-)

camps are most certainly legit, but also risky as you have now learned the hard way ;) not only because of scripters but also because people like to comb through the northern forests looking for camps like yours to raid when no one is looking. the difference of course is that the latter is fair game, while the former is the worst kind of cheating.

there are guys that teleport to us, shoot us down and crash the tents >:( >:( >:(

that really sux, sorry you lost 20 hours of work to a scripter, but it's like the others said above: i'm afraid this happens all the time and there's no point in getting too upset about it. if you had fun doing your thing during those 20 h, then mission accomplished regardless of the outcome :) it's a shame this mod is so vulnerable to scripting, but there it is.

btw, the devs are building the standalone game from the ground up, so it will be much tighter because they can remove all the ArmA features that are not needed in DayZ; that way, there will be fewer possible exploits in the code, or so the thinking goes. contrast that with the DayZ mod, which was awkwardly packed into a complex military sim game and was not conceived for such a large number of players and servers. still... it's one thing to have some bugs, such as tents not saving properly, but these cheaters are a very serious threat imo. i was playing regularly with a friend IRL, we were a solid team, but after some kind of script was run on him he has been unable to join any server! (not a global ban... it's a long story). he is so pissed off that he doesn't even want to troubleshoot anymore :( so i'm on my own now. boo hoo! hehe

Most tents are pretty obvious and barely hidden.

I sometimes find a random tent in the woods.

Fairly because nobody walks in the deep woods anyway. Only idiots like me find fun in hiding out in the middle of nowhere away from you all.

But needless to say, I got a nice AKM and spare mags this way. Thanks for the loot, and see ya around.

Most tents are pretty obvious and barely hidden.

I sometimes find a random tent in the woods.

Fairly because nobody walks in the deep woods anyway. Only idiots like me find fun in hiding out in the middle of nowhere away from you all.

But needless to say, I got a nice AKM and spare mags this way. Thanks for the loot, and see ya around.

I walk in the woods all the time mate. It's relatively safe there. I only come out when I need something :) I've even found stashed vehicles in the woods a few times. Usually when people come back to their super-secret camps and find them looted, they instantly assume it was caused by cheaters -- "how else could they have found our camp?!" -- but usually it's just enterprising hunters like us lol

Btw, I fully agree with your signature re. the steaks vs blood bags :)

• Like 1

Just wait for restart, your tents will be back with items that you last saved in them...