meust3@gmail.com

Looking to rent an AU/NZ server

Playing with a large group of friends and we're looking to rent our own dayz server; does anyone know of any good providers for Australian/new Zealand players?

Thanks guys! :)

First, do you know how much it costs?

For a single 50 slot I would go for about $250-300 per month minimum. You start getting slighly cheaper the more servers you get, however 4x50 is currently costing us about $700 per month. We have a good deal with one of our providers though so you won't be getting those sort of prices.

I am also in Australia. We rent/host/pay for a server in Atlanta. $35 a month.

Ping isn't an issue unless it gets over 250 in Arma2. I really couldn't justify spending 10 times as much for no visible improvement in game play.

As cm said, it will cost a lot if you want to host it in Australia (with the name of thread implies).

Why do you want to host your own server? I see a lot of interest from different groups and players in hosting DayZ, but I have to be honest I think most people don't know what they're getting into, the level of commitment required, the costs, and how little you get out of it as a host.

It will cost you several hundred dollars, which you and your mates must pay, to support a server that will be full of public players. There is currently no provision for you to password your server, reserve slots for yourself, kick players to make room for your clan, or enforce your own set of rules on the server.

Every independent DayZ host in Australia I know of, is struggling with the costs, and they've all been up less than a month. We also have enough servers throughout ANZ to meet all demand!

Most hosts in Australia will charge you $500 for 500GB. You need at least 2TB a month to run a 50 slot server comfortably. Do the math. You will need to negotiate with hosts to get a better deal if you want anything economically viable. Again, we at AusArmA have gotten a great deal, that no-one has come close to beating, and we've had several offers by other hosts to provide servers for us, but we are getting better deals then they are getting wholesale.

If you want a cheap server, rent one from the US, but your server will be no different then any existing US server. It will not be dominated by Aussies, everyone will have low pings except you, etc. I just don't see the logic in doing this though unless you are adamant about 'owning' a server you play on.

If you are serious about hosting DayZ, and for the long-haul, not just 1 or 2 months tops, talk to us at AusArmA, after you've shopped around and got some pricing.

I would pay just for a dedicated slot . . . . . .$10-$15 a month no problem.