Magotchi

Automatically Ban Users of Invalid (Hacked) Items

This only affects items that aren't in the game. It also tells a person the offending items they had that caused them to be banned every time they connect to the server and on the initial ban.

The most commonly hacked-in items are weapons, and if you're not sure if a weapon is hacked, familiarize yourself with http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Weapons . In real life, if you weren't sure if some crack cocaine you found was legal or not, it would still be your responsibility to familiarize yourself with the local laws on the subject.

Also, I understand that people don't always realize they've acquired a hacked item; that's why my policy is to always unban, no questions asked, with the understanding that they'll try their best to not use hacked items in the server.

Edited by Mister_Magotchi

1. http://dayzmod.com/f...rm/#entry752302

"...so I think banning someone for it is not the right thing to do at the moment;..."

That's a far cry from a rule.

2. http://dayzmod.com/f...rs/#entry446536

Rocket is saying players won't be globally banned for having hacked items.

He mentions nothing about GLOBAL bans. Therefor you should assume that it's about bans in general.

Also, if we should go into rules about server hosting. You are not allowed to ban hackers at all. What you must do is record and report it to the DayZ team.

Having that said. This should NOT be allowed to ban/kick players for. Anything that a legit player can get their hands on should NEVER be bannable.

Source: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/55657-start-here-a-beginners-guide-to-dayz-servers-and-administration/

You may only ban players for two reasons: Malicious talk, and racism.

You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel).

Battling Hackers / Exploiters

What you should know

Server Administrators have to follow very stringent rules for what they can and cannot do when it comes to hackers.

BattlEye is not a secure anti-cheat system. It trusts the client (a players computer) more than it should.

Currently, here's how the process works for being able to ban a confirmed hacker:

1. Record the hacker as they are hacking via FRAPS, PlayClaw, or whatever video capture software you may use. This can come from players on your server.
  2. Find out the Username of the Hacker in question
  3. Parse the log files. Find any references to the Player in question
  4. Take both the visual and text evidence to the DayZ staff

Obviously, if you've read the forum, a lot of Server Administrators take issue with these rules. This is because the process is lengthy and because everyone this day and age likes to see immediate response, its obviously a problem. Now, with that said, it's understandable that Admins and players alike want something done immediately when a hacker kills everyone on a server.

There are, however, ways of combating hackers without breaking the rules

• Shut the server down IMMEDIATELY - This will most likely end up in a Hive rollback and any users who died will most likely get their gear back. THIS IS NOT FOOLPROOF. IT DOES NOT WORK ALL THE TIME.
  • Social Engineering - Befriend the hacker. Get them on your side.
  • Do your research. Look on Hack sites. Sign up for forums and learn how they hack. Don't sit on the DayZ Forums and gripe about how hackers are a huge problem and there's nothing that we can do about them. We can DO WHAT WE CAN because WE MUST.
  • more to come!

Having that said. I do ban hackers when having proof.

But if you can't accept that legit players run around with these guns. Get off the official hive. Not everyone knows which weapons are in the game and you can't force people to read the wiki/dayzdb.

What you can do is make it your personal mission to hunt these players down on your server. Encourage others to do this as well by posting a tournament on your server like killing the most people with hacked weapons. There are plenty of other ways to deal with it.

Edited by XAM

You are not allowed to ban hackers at all.

With a statement like that, I don't even see a need to respond in full.

With a statement like that, I don't even see a need to respond in full.

Then read my full post instead of being ignorant.

You're the one that believes admins aren't allowed to ban hackers, not me.

You're the one that believes admins aren't allowed to ban hackers, not me.

Show me a statement that says we are allowed. The server guidelines says otherwise.

But if you took your time to read my post I said I'm banning hackers. I never said that I accepted the "not banning hackers" rule. But that means this script you are running is not allowed to use.

Edited by XAM

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/62195-server-hosting-rules/

You are not permitted to ban for suspected cheats or exploits of a non-server-disruptive nature, including but not limited to ghosting, unverified cheating, duping and similar, UNLESS you have solid evidence, IE logs.

Banning hackers is allowed by this statement.

13. You are permitted to kick or ban for ongoing severe hacking that is affecting players in a server-disruptive way.

Banning hackers is allowed by this statement.

Please stop arguing just for the sake of arguing. I've already had a DayZ Forum Team member give me beans for this script, and I've had another PM me just to explicitly tell me it's not against the rules. Even without that, it can't be shown to be against the rules.

The only real area where I might have a problem is that I'm not reporting my hacked weapon bans to anyone. That being said, everyone that joins my server can see exactly why they were banned, and I unban anyone that asks (regarding hacked items).

• Like 3

This only affects items that aren't in the game. It also tells a person the offending items they had that caused them to be banned every time they connect to the server and on the initial ban.

The most commonly hacked-in items are weapons, and if you're not sure if a weapon is hacked, familiarize yourself with http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Weapons . In real life, if you weren't sure if some crack cocaine you found was legal or not, it would still be your responsibility to familiarize yourself with the local laws on the subject.

Also, I understand that people don't always realize they've acquired a hacked item; that's why my policy is to always unban, no questions asked, with the understanding that they'll try their best to not use hacked items in the server.

Thank you for sharing that link. Both of my current weapons are on that list so I guess I am good. I have no intent on ever obtaining something that is outside the fairness of the game so I will try to memorize that list and avoid anything if it doesn't match. I've yet to run into any hackers or anything not allowed to my knowledge thus far but am sure it's only a matter of time before that changes. I do have a suggestion however if it is possible. I am guessing servers keep track of every item for your script to be able to work. Would it be possible to simply make the server de-spawn items that are not allowed? I realize this may not be possible to the players inventory but for corpses or if they were randomly thrown on the ground. So for example if someone who cheats happens to die their corpse would be scanned and remove anything deemed not legit.

I no longer recommend this method. There are now better ways to handle users of hacked weapons in our servers. Ventho's publicvariableval.txt method (with my tweaks to it) is what I now use on US 303. However, the code in the OP may still be useful for other purposes, such as logging or generating a blacklist. I still run the script on my server, but I just output it to a different file as an extra admin tool.

Stupid idea. Cuz many legit ppl will be banned. Imagne ur little bro find hacked weapon - how he may know its hacked? BOOM Banned. Battleye is piece of shit, deal with it.

Wont work, because no one with a hacked weapon would enter this server, if he does, he would get banned. So if you play reagulary on this server, there wont be a hacked weapon and you could not be banned. Actually, what is hacked weapon? a restricted or a cheated one?

whatever the point is clear, we dont want hackers in dayz!

I no longer recommend this method. There are now better ways to handle users of hacked weapons in our servers. Ventho's publicvariableval.txt method (with my tweaks to it) is what I now use on US 303. However, the code in the OP may still be useful for other purposes, such as logging or generating a blacklist. I still run the script on my server, but I just output it to a different file as an extra admin tool.

Quick question. Will this kick or ban? I would like to add the unobtainable weapons to my file, but I would only like them to get kicked.

Meaning that they could come back easily if they just decide to drop their weapons on some other server.

The publicvariableval.txt method can only kick.