Sign in to follow this  
maxipower

kronzky SP conversion

So BI emailed him saying that he is not allowed to host the SP conversion anymore.

WTF have BI got to do with this mod... other than are they funding it? "No's your answer?" Well They must be, his access to motion capture is evident that their helping, if they are they have no right to have product placement without paying for rights to use branded names.

So you let someone edit your game via a mod and you dont let others edit someone elses mod? redunkalous

offcially this mod has sold out.

oh and i expect this topic to be deleted / me banned.

nice knowing yas

EDIT (crap posted in wrong forum)

oh great typical online responses "oh rocket i want to suck on the end of your rocket"

sellouts will be sellouts. I once couldnt speak higher praise to this mod and now... BI just pulled a activision-esque move.

rocket asked for it to be taken down, not BI.

Still, BI rocks, if for Carrier Command alone. :)

Rocket should release a SP version just for good measure, im sure there was only a few peeps that actually played the SP version but meh i was one of them.

I still play omline but i liked the option.

@Rocket

If at down the line you charge for DayZ... thats fine... but include the SP file in the purchase please...

EDIT:

And thats for a senseable answer dude.. hard to get one of them these days.

I demanded it be taken it down.

I wasn't going to say anything, but its clear that some knowledge is public so I will say this:

We had an agreement, I felt (rightly or wrongly) that the agreement was not upheld. So I asked that it be taken down.

I have time and again explained my reasons for it, they are valid reasons and all I have spoken to about who have been working with my work have agreed to them. I hold them accountable to their agreement.

if you yourself release a SP version at some stage then I dont see an issue. But please dont kill the option off entirely.

Even if its only a sp file bundled with the purchase of DayZ down the line.

if you yourself release a SP version at some stage then I dont see an issue. But please dont kill the option off entirely.

Even if its only a sp file bundled with the purchase of DayZ down the line.

I have said this time and again, when the project is complete this can be part of the project. But certainly not now, when it is at best a distraction and at worst a downright serious problem.

Facts:

- I have respect for Kronzky's previous contributions to the community.

- I was the one who asked for it to be taken down, and I believe my reasons are very valid.

I fully understand why they asked him to take his conversion offline. The mod itself is not his own creation, so he has no right to modify or distribute it.

What i'm asking myself right now: is hosting a non-dev-approved server also "illegal"?

The mod itself is downloadable as we all know. Even the server files can be found all over the place and are stored on unsecured, public webspace (google anyone?). There is, or was, even a thread on this board that linked directly to those files. All one would be missing is the database, but even that can be replicated in a matter of hours.

So please, put up a EULA and tighten your security if you do not want anyone apart from approved hosts on your team. Going after your customers that might have recently bought ArmA2 just for playing DayZ would be foul. Even more, if playing on "official" servers is near to impossible at the moment.

It is not necessary illegal as you put it! but it is a common courtesy to respect the mod makers wishes!

I have no doubt this will become part of arma 2 and arma 3 because its $$$$$ money maker!

once its part of arma 2&3 you can once again mod it to your liking right? like everyone did with base arma 2/3!

but only when its part of arma2/3, meaning its out of alpha/beta

Yeah, definitely appears to be completely at odds with the whole philosophical framework underlying the concept of a modding community. Is this for real? I still find it hard to believe, because without a damn good explanation this would be the epitome of assholish behaviour.

Also, inb4 thread lock and delete?

SP conversion was a douchebag thing to do to a multiplayer mod that's in alpha stage...

Douchebag move? Seriously? How so? Nobody is forcing anybody to play the SP version. Don't like it' date=' then just ignore it. The whole point of modding is that people share and iterate upon ideas and code. My, we're suddenly getting territorial, aren't we?

[hr']

...I hope they learned from their Arma "fails"; they have a great franchise and pretty great technology' date=' but definitely missed some design goals and overdid others in Arma 2 - [b']realism at the cost of playability is ill-advised when you're in the business of making games).

Uh oh,. And so it begins... :/

I enjoy playing the SP conversion. When my guys aren't online I tend to fire it up. However it is not quite there. Because of the lack of other players, there needs to be a dramatic increase in the amount of zombie spawns.

We had an agreement' date=' I felt (rightly or wrongly) that the agreement was not upheld. So I asked that it be taken down. [b']I have time and again explained my reasons for it...

Really? Missed them. Searching now.

I do. Whether there will be an SP version available or not, isn't the point. The issue is whether somebody who is modifying an existing product to create a derivative work then has any ethical justification for depriving others of the rights to do the same in return.

imo...Rocket has the right to ask him to take it down, and he has the right to tell him no. It is a derivation of a derivation. Presuming it doesn't provide a workaround for people who don't buy ARMA 2, I don't see where K is in the wrong here as Day-Z isn't a commercial product atm.

Can someone please explain to me the reason why SP was taken down?

I don't get it. How was it harming anyone?

I can guess, and I might be way off but,

currently the release and visibility of DayZ Alpha content is under Rocket's control, so he can try any feature he likes one week then remove it the next. Releasing an SP version means there are different versions of the software floating around in the public, which with an Alpha is a bit dangerous.

Six months from now, or maybe even two, the game we have now will look like crap compared to the new version. It's hurts the integrity of the project to have that old crappy version floating around.

Imagine something like a Window7 Alpha. If they had released one to the public to try out for free, I'm sure some people would still be using it, and they would hate Microsoft for every second of it. Also, when DayZ is released and is no longer free, it would be a shame if some people ended up using an early Alpha release as a "demo".

Again, this is just a conspiracy theory. I didn't know about SP and I have no idea what's going on.

Imagine something like a Window7 Alpha. If they had released one to the public to try out for free' date=' I'm sure some people would still be using it, and they would hate Microsoft for every second of it. Also, when DayZ is released and is no longer free, it would be a shame if some people ended up using an early Alpha release as a "demo".

[/quote']

They did, also release previews, there is currently a release preview for Windows 8 too. I believe they stop working after a certain period though.

As far as I was aware, Rocket released the Alpha primarily for stress testing, etc, so a Single Player version is kind of defeating the point of him releasing it in the first place.

I think there are many players who get annoyed at not being able to join servers, etc, it would be logical for them to play the SP version, but this doesn't help Rocket, nor the rest of us, who genuinely want this game to succeed!

@rocket

I'd really like to have a talk with you about non-hive servers. I'm pretty sure though, you won't be answering any posts on this subject. If i'm wrong, PM me. I really might be able to contribute to the project.

Crosspost from reddit:

How many times do I have to explain this?

Kronzky initially released it without asking me, and I discussed it with him and asked that he wait because it was causing an issue for the development. I was receiving large numbers of reports and bug requests because the system isn't designed for single player. It was distracting from the main effort.

We came to an agreement, and I gave him access to my source repository so he could begin researching to develop the single player version but I required him to discuss and work with me around timing for releasing it and how it was released. He didn't do this, and just did whatever he wanted.

So I terminated my relationship with him, as this was a complete betrayal of my trust as far as I am concerned.

From Kronzky's own site: "Please DO NOT MIRROR any content from this site." and "I appreciate your contributions to the community, and the fact that you are spreading the word about new content for ArmA, but having outdated versions is in nobody's interest."

The same is true here. I don't want confusion, I gave him the option of working with me and even gave him access to my private source repository and he abused that privilege. As such, I made the necessary arrangements to have it taken down.

1. I wanted a single repository of download, version sync'd so that there was no confusion.

2. Security issues were greatly increased. A known hacker site was using Kronzky's version for testing of their hacks prior to using them on public servers.

3. I think he was being disrespectful, and he betrayed my trust with his actions.

4. Single Player was not the focus of the mod. I was prepared to work with him to develop this in future but I wanted the timing to be right.

I haven't made ONE SINGLE DIME out of this mod. I could have made a shitload out of it. It really disappoints me when people make assumptions without checking my side of the story, especially here on reddit where I generally find people try and balance both sides. I made plenty of forum replies about this - but new threads keep poping up that continually post the one side argument.

TOPIC LOCKED, STICKIED, SALTED, BUTTERED