Sign in to follow this  
catgut

Why is an old wives' tale being used as a game mechanic?

During the winter' date=' people stay inside more. Increased close contact raises transmission rates and people get sick more. In areas where the temperature doesn't change significantly, like equatorial zones, the flu season is during the rainy season as contaminated water spreads infection.

[/quote']

Yeah, I read up on some of those arguments . Those are good theories, guys. Undoubtedly, they hold a lot of truth, but ultimately they don't jive with my personal experience. Yes, I admit that I'm basing my observations primarly on my own anecdotal evdience, but I know from some years of surviving on this planet that if I'm feeling under the weather and fighting something off, exposure to cold at that moment won't end well for me. So, yeah, I guess that makes me an old wife, if you will, but I'll trust my own instincts here rather than what some guy in a lab coat tries to tell me should theoretically happen. Good discussion nevertheless.

Honestly, as somebody already pointed out, in this kind of a situtuation you're in hell of a lot more danger from infections caused by open wounds anyway. That shit will fuck you up fast.

That and the fact that most flu and "cold" viruses propagate better as absolute humidity falls. In northern climates that means winter which is actually drier than the warmer months. In tropical areas the winter is the "wet season" so bugs tend to spread more easily in the drier summer months.

The rainy season actually tends to be the time of year when diseases propagate best in tropical regions, especially when it coincides with the hotter months (some areas, the rainy season is cooler). Malaria in particular is severely exacerbated when the temperature is high and the rainfall constant. It's a common occurrence in sub-Saharan Africa.

If it is meant to be personal temperature' date=' its poorly thought out and little more than one more number to annoy you.

[/quote']

Well, what else is it? It's certainly not environmental temperature - 42C (almost 110F) is Arizona afternoons in the summertime type of hot. That's just sick hot even without humidity. Certainly not something you'd find in central Europe at night.

Malaria in particular is severely exacerbated when the temperature is high and the rainfall constant.

That's because of an increase in mosquito populations, no? They use standing freshwater to breed. The little fuckers absolutely love rainy seasons. d_d

Old Wives Tales are based on *hundreds* of years of data.

Just ask yer mum !

Old Wives Tales are based on *hundreds* of years of data.

Just ask yer mum !

Hey, did someone say something about ma momma? :D It's on now! Field west of Elektro powerstation. Noon. Today. Bring your NVGs.

I've seen plenty of literature showing that lower temperature increases inter-person transmission rates of airborne diseases like influenza' date=' but not that lowered external temperature has an adverse effect on the human immune system directly. I'm not calling it BS, but would you mind finding a journal or academic source to back that up?

[/quote']

Google is your friend. I should have bookmarked the sources I used in prior discussions of this nature but I didn't. Here is a couple anyway:

From http://jap.physiology.org/content/87/2/699.full

BOTH ANECDOTAL (8, 21) and experimental reports (4, 29) have suggested that cold exposure may increase an organism’s susceptibility to infection (42). Cold-induced decrements in immunosurveillance can be a particular problem for winter athletes or for military personnel who must pursue physical activities in cold environments. Upper respiratory tract infections appear to be the main cause of illness and reasons for missed practice in elite cross-country skiers (5). Studies of sustained military operations in the Canadian Arctic, also, have reported an increased incidence and severity of upper respiratory tract infections during patrols involving high levels of energy expenditure and exposure to cold conditions both day and night (39, 45). Because the effective accomplishment of both athletic endeavors and military operations depends on a high level of human performance, maintenance of health is essential in situations where athletes or troops are exposed to adverse environmental conditions.

From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8925815

There is a constant increase in hospitalizations and mortality during winter months; cardiovascular diseases as well as respiratory infections are responsible for a large proportion of this added morbidity and mortality. Exposure to cold has often been associated with increased incidence and severity of respiratory tract infections. The data available suggest that exposure to cold, either through exposure to low environmental temperatures or during induced hypothermia, increases the risk of developing upper and lower respiratory tract infections and dying from them; in addition, the longer the duration of exposure the higher the risk of infection. Although not all studies agree, most of the available evidence from laboratory and clinical studies suggests that inhaled cold air, cooling of the body surface and cold stress induced by lowering the core body temperature cause pathophysiological responses such as vasoconstriction in the respiratory tract mucosa and suppression of immune responses, which are responsible for increased susceptibility to infections. The general public and public health authorities should therefore keep this in mind and take appropriate measures to prevent increases in morbidity and mortality during winter due to respiratory infections.

And to follow your quote taken from the (one and only) study done by Dr. Belilovsky of the Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine:

According to a study by the Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, says Dr. Belilovsky. “Researchers examined the immunological responses to cold exposure and found that acute cold exposure, such as going outside without a jacket, actually appears to activate the immune system.” [3] This occurs in part by increasing the levels of circulating norepinephrine, which works as a natural decongestant.

The key word here is “acute”. These stressors, like a wound or cold air exposure are sharp and temporary. The body senses the danger, activates hormones, and delivers a response. The immune system becomes markedly compromised when the hormonal response becomes dysregulated due to chronic stress exposure. Your body is just not equipped to deal with chronic stresses like nerve-wracking 12 hour work days, or prolonged severe cold exposure.

It's also valuable to point out that the physiological definition of "hypothermia" sets the threshhold at 95 degrees F, over three degrees below normal average human body temperature. While most survivors might never experience clinical hypothermia the drop in body core temperature that occurs in that 3.6 degree margin can not and will not be good for you, especially under sustained conditions.

That and the fact that most flu and "cold" viruses propagate better as absolute humidity falls. In northern climates that means winter which is actually drier than the warmer months. In tropical areas the winter is the "wet season" so bugs tend to spread more easily in the drier summer months.

The rainy season actually tends to be the time of year when diseases propagate best in tropical regions' date=' especially when it coincides with the hotter months (some areas, the rainy season is cooler). Malaria in particular is severely exacerbated when the temperature is high and the rainfall constant. It's a common occurrence in sub-Saharan Africa.

[/quote']

Malaria is a very different case than what we are talking about here, especially since it relies on mosquitos to spread it, a creature that itself requires warm temperatures and puddles of stagnant water to reproduce.

Humidity levels are definitely tied to the propogation of airborne pathogens such as influenza and the rhinovirus as low humidity increases viral transmission rates potentially due to dry air allowing small viral droplets to disperse farther and stay in the air longer. Plenty of research on that too.

Good point imo

Still Id say just adjust the numbers slightly and were done here. Its not about hypothermia or disease but about the fact that shit sux when Im too hot or too cold and I always get worse at killing people and need more food and water when shit sux.

Here's a real world situation for you right now:

I don't get sick, like ever, it's just gone winter here and overnight the temperature plummets.

I wake up and the only warm spot in my bed is where I already am, the rest of the bed is so cold that rolling over on it feels wet.

Suddenly, sore throat and coughing up a lung. I haven't been doing anything differently lately, no contact with any other sick individuals. Just my bad luck and the cold dry air.

IMHO though, Rocket needs to fix the temperature numbers to be decimals rather than whole numbers, with it starting at 37 and have it heading 1.5 change each way.

Although, other than requiring you to dink more while running, I don't really see a point to having higher temperatures.

I agree, while temperature COULD be done right (I'm sure you would get hypothermia being in Russia at night while it is pouring down) at the moment it is silly.

Catch an infection from the cold? Lol.. What??

Not to mention running at 42c which is supposed to be body temperature would have you in a coma or brain dead in real life.

Needs to be worked on for sure.

I cant believe your trying to defend that extended exposure to cold and wet will not lower your immune system therin causing you to become sick... really? come on... christ.

and your comment about Hypo... well it can happen at almost any temperature.

I recieved Hypothermia when it was about 48f outside, I was not climatized and slightly dehydrated and participating in a 15mile run, it was designed to induce minor hypo and it did... my core temp dropped to 94.*f and I only made it around 13.5 miles before I could no longer stand. Hypo does not require freezing temperatures.

*edit: Also for anyone wondering... at core temp of 94.3(f) w/ slight dehydration I was unable to stand straight was very dizzy and could not walk in a straight line, I also could not focus.. I was easily distracted and could only focus my mind on simple task. It basically felt like being very very intoxicated, yet knowing something is wrong and not being able to really focus on the problem. On my assisted walk/ride to medical assistance I recall my only thought being that of "A orange gatorade would be lovely" And remember this was only with a 94.3 core body temp I had barely dropped 4 whole degrees.

Yes, I want infection chance on bandaging. I want fever that causes higher need for fluids and affects aiming, health, movement, etc.

I want hypothermia to affect aiming, perception, life (blood), and movement speed.

I want infections and pain to cure themselves at 50-75% chance (realistic values, really) over time; if not, infections will kill you slowly and painfully.

Im sure this has been said a few times already but anyway.

Lower body temp increases catching a cold. This is a true medical fact.

How? The body runs at 98.6 degrees. If it goes up or down from that a host of problems can happen and make you feel sick.

Walking around outside at night wouldnt kill you and it doesnt. But when you stay out in the cold for long periods of time...bad shit happens. And people die to exposure all the time.

Considering you're in Russia' date=' in the middle of the night, and it's raining, i don't think it's 20C.

Second, i'm not sure if you think the temperature relates to the weather, but it relates to your OWN BODY temperature.

So if you're running 45C or 30C that is a concern.

[/quote']

Chernarus is in the Czech Republic :)

It's meant to be body temperature, not ambient temperature. Even still, if you were at 42c you'd already be dead. The numbers are wonky but it's definitely meant to be body temp.

Considering you're in Russia

Chernarus has a border with southern part of Russia, not northern. Don't assume it's all Siberia from Baltic/Black sea till the Pacific.

In fact, Chernarus shares the border with Takistan, for what it's worth.

Cherno will be around 12C tonight, with rain, based on the weather forecast for the area the map is based on. Sleep on the bare ground with no extra blankets, etc. in rain, at 12C and let me know how you feel... in the morning?

What is really odd is that you need a clock to read the exact time, a compass to find the exact direction, a map to pinpoint where you are, but you automatically "know" your body temperature. I think our so beloved Rocket secretly stuck a thermometer into the place where the sun never shines. :-D

It's body temperature.

The only quell I have right now is the fact that if your body was 42 degrees Celsius, you would die. Your organs would be overheating and eventually shut down and/or melt. 42 Celsius is an extreme fever. If you were at that you would need to be monitored in a hospital.