Sign in to follow this  
Rotinaj

The Disconnect Penalty

Needs to be changed significantly for PvP. Three times yesterday I returned fire on players shooting at me, only to have them disconnect as soon as I landed a few shots on them. It's frustrating that people can circumvent dying altogether and I'm out on blood and ammunition. My proposals would be either killing someone if they disconnect after shooting someone/being shot so that they still disconnect but their corpse drops onto the ground for looting, or keeping them in game for ~30 seconds before their character disappears from the game-world. I'm not sure which of these is more feasible, but the instantaneous disconnecting ruins any player-on-player interaction.

It's also pretty hilarious when I am trekking around in the woods, and I come across another player just doing their thing. I'm not a bandit, so I try to direct chat them (usually doesn't work) and say hey. When they do hear me, 90% of the time they will log off simply because they don't know where I am and I got the drop on them.

I agree with what you are saying about needing a disconnect penalty, but let me add to that. I think that there should be a "proper" way to log out. Maybe going prone for 10 seconds while it completes an action to "go to sleep" or something like that. Afterwards you just leave the server like normal. Otherwise it leaves a ghost player or bot that can be killed and looted.

If their corpse dropped to the ground for looting upon disconnecting two buddies could easily exploit this and duplicate ammo, guns, blood packs, you name it. I don't think there's a real way to stop this. Some things can't really be helped.

I don't reckon it does.

Try aiming for there head next time and not there foot' date=' you might get a better result.

[/quote']

So, even if I get the jump on a player and shoot him point black with shot in the chest, bringing him to near death and bleeding badly, it's my fault I didn't kill him? I shouldn't be required to get headshots because my target can instantaneously disappear through an exploit.

If their corpse dropped to the ground for looting upon disconnecting two buddies could easily exploit this and duplicate ammo' date=' guns, blood packs, you name it. I don't think there's a real way to stop this. Some things can't really be helped.

[/quote']

What? I mean that it would kill them and their character data would be reset on the server, just as if they died regularly.

There is actually almost a very simple solution to this. Do it like Blizzard does: Put a 10-20 seconds timer before safe disconnection. If the player disconnects before the timer runs out, a la forced disconnection by unplugging the wire, the player receives penalty. The only problem is then to resolve how to spot a difference between bad connection and unplugged wire and whether disconnection was initiated or not.

There is actually almost a very simple solution to this. Do it like Blizzard does: Put a 10-20 seconds timer before safe disconnection. If the player disconnects before the timer runs out' date=' a la forced disconnection by unplugging the wire, the player receives penalty. The only problem is then to resolve how to spot a difference between bad connection and unplugged wire and whether disconnection was initiated or not.

[/quote']

The chances of someone's internet disconnecting during those 30 seconds is so low that it wouldn't hinder anyone.

I am not concerned about disconnecting before the timer. When you add a solution to this problem, people will stop trying to disconnect and instead adapt to unplugging themselves from the internet directly. Anything to save their asses.

I guess if someone unplugs their internet, their character won't be saved into database. But then all the people with bad connections will feel the burden.

the 10->20 second timer is the most logical idea but lets not mention the "B" company please raphier, -points for you sir.

The issue with implementing this now is that there are a few too many bugs with Z spawns at the moment. You can get 10 Z's spawn on top of you even though rocket tried to fix that in the patch notes,

Also i got kicked out of another server due to the server going down but area was clear and i was safe, When i logged back in was surrounded by zomies and logged in and was immediatley bleeding, this is the only time ive ever used the abort.

when you log in all zombies in say 75m of you are removed and also when zombies stop spawning on us then i think the timer should be added

the 10->20 second timer is the most logical idea but lets not mention the "B" company please raphier' date=' -points for you sir.

The issue with implementing this now is that there are a few too many bugs with Z spawns at the moment. You can get 10 Z's spawn on top of you even though rocket tried to fix that in the patch notes,

Also i got kicked out of another server due to the server going down but area was clear and i was safe, When i logged back in was surrounded by zomies and logged in and was immediatley bleeding, this is the only time ive ever used the abort.

when you log in all zombies in say 75m of you are removed and also when zombies stop spawning on us then i think the timer should be added

[/quote']

I would argue that the assorted issues with the mod do justify leaving disconnection in, as it is not intended to be a viable means of escape.

When they log back in, the disconnect penalty knocks them out for three minutes. No?

When they logged out, you made them bleed, so when they come back, they should still be bleeding, right?

A character should easily bleed out before the punishment KO timer runs out.

Unless they get a buddy to run to their expected location to save them, I guess.

yeah, but he usually logs in on another server, so what good is it to me that he bled out somewhere safe and can actually have his buddies recover his body?

Player's characters should remain in the game world 5 seconds after disconnects. This solves the problems of not only pvp, but pve, when you can just DC to avoid a horde coming at you

I have to agree with rotinaj on this, something needs to be changed.

Everytime I have to take someone out I end up shooting well after they hit the floor just to make sure they don't DC and I lose the body.

My only concern with the delay is if you disconnect in a town where there are zeds, even if you are not engaged with zeds, one may come across your body and obviously you cannot defend yourself. Now the obvious thing would be not to disconnect in a town, but at times I know that I have to get off quickly (go to work, something comes up with the wife, etc). This may not be a huge concern, but just a thought.

My only concern with the delay is if you disconnect in a town where there are zeds' date=' even if you are not engaged with zeds, one may come across your body and obviously you cannot defend yourself. Now the obvious thing would be not to disconnect in a town, but at times I know that I have to get off quickly (go to work, something comes up with the wife, etc). This may not be a huge concern, but just a thought.

[/quote']

Obviously being hurt should end the timer and exit the menu.

I still think the easiest solution is to provide a "safe save" option that takes time to complete, as mentioned. Any other way of disconnecting and the character is dead, heart attack or something, the corpse is there for looting, problem solved.