Sign in to follow this  
joeoblong@yahoo.com

What would you do?

I would love for the stand alone to add in a layer of morality choices for the game. Something along the lines of saving, sacrificing, or slaying innocent survivors. (of the npc kind) Here is something I thought about earlier while trying to explain the anti-game to a friend.

I hate the idea of quests, go gather/kill/bring such and such to who/what/where are lame game mechanics. But what if you found a boarded up building in game, as you walk by you can clearly hear someone inside it. You scroll/click/walk up to a window/door and a meek voice calls out "Go away!" then a childs voice squeeks, "but mommy I'm hungry, maybe they have some food/water?" Thus giving you the option to leave food/water, try and persuade them to come out (to fend for themselves), or burn it down (killing them).

The food and kill effect would effect humanity, while the convince effect would just open the house to the player (a can of beans inside?) It would have to be a random event possible anywhere there are building.

I haven't thought out a detailed scenario, or game mechanic. Like I said it was a passing thought during an explanation of DayZ. But since I am a fan of morality in games. (ultima thru elder scrolls) I thought in time this might be a decent addition to DayZ. So what say you?

(Disclaimer) This is not a suggestion, just a thought. I am curious about your opinion on such game mechanics. (Please be respectful of people opinions since it is just a opinion.) This is not a thread to flame in (We have plenty of those) If you think I am an idiot for bring this up just don't post and let it fall of into forum hell. (no better way to tell me to stfu)

• Like 2

Oh well. Rocket said he doesn't want to add NPCs for interaction and would rather it just be players doing it all.

• Like 2

In the dayz before duping/scripting/cheating/more duping/tent cities, stuff like this happened between players too. Once upon a time, it was actually hard to keep yourself fed....

• Like 3

Oh well. Rocket said he doesn't want to add NPCs for interaction and would rather it just be players doing it all.

Yeah I know, that is why it isn't a suggestion. It is a anti-suggestion? :P Just wondering where we the players stand on it, how we'd feel about it? Like I said i am curious of what your opinion on something like this is. You think it would bring a better / worse experience to DayZ?

Yea I've been fighting something like this in reference to the killing on sight mentality. Maybe not quests but the closest thing I can think of myself would be like those random encounters in Red Dead Redemption. If players could make them themselves.

So I'm bored, menu, options, announce player quest.

Have options to set it to "trap" or an actual quest like thing. Give yourself debuffs etc etc all you're choice. If you set the quest for anything other then trap then it disables you being able to fire on another player. (That way people doing cry wolf too much, this disabling feature could disappear say if you are hit by a shot. Or make you take drastically less damage from the next incoming shot but not allow you to shoot back. It'd be very hard to balance something like this.) An anon option too, incase you are not sure if you wanna kill the person coming to your quest or not.

At that point anyone on the server could look, a menu option, and realize there is a player quest going on. Now I don't think anyone should see it any where just the players that pass...say with in 2k Meters of you. Get a little notification, something easily ignore able but other wise there. I fully expect people would set traps to these but I'm sure a way to make it less troll ish could be intergraded.

Edited by Gavalin

Personally love the idea, as Gavalin said, red dead redemption had these great good guy/bad guy scenarios and they are good. Thinking that also there could be group options in much the same fashion where it takes 2 or more people in order to complete certain scenarios, where humanity is affected just the same, but on a two fold because of course, there are two players.

Necessary 'quests' suck in some games, but optional ones are great because if your not geared up who feels lie doing anything for someone else just yet, but when you are what is there to do except kill zombies and other players and try to survive. I'm thinking this may take away alot of the PvP because more people would have a purpose other than killing too, and would probably for pure randomity's sake, make the game a little more interesting. Not saying do it or else, only putting forward my opinion

Yea I've been fighting something like this in reference to the killing on sight mentality. Maybe not quests but the closest thing I can think of myself would be like those random encounters in Red Dead Redemption. If players could make them themselves.

So I'm bored, menu, options, announce player quest.

Have options to set it to "trap" or an actual quest like thing. Give yourself debuffs etc etc all you're choice. If you set the quest for anything other then trap then it disables you being able to fire on another player. (That way people doing cry wolf too much, this disabling feature could disappear say if you are hit by a shot. Or make you take drastically less damage from the next incoming shot but not allow you to shoot back. It'd be very hard to balance something like this.) An anon option too, incase you are not sure if you wanna kill the person coming to your quest or not.

At that point anyone on the server could look, a menu option, and realize there is a player quest going on. Now I don't think anyone should see it any where just the players that pass...say with in 2k Meters of you. Get a little notification, something easily ignore able but other wise there. I fully expect people would set traps to these but I'm sure a way to make it less troll ish could be intergraded.

I never played Red Dead (my babies 3yr olds x2 and 2 yr old kept/keep my game budget in check) But this does sound interesting.

Personally love the idea, as Gavalin said, red dead redemption had these great good guy/bad guy scenarios and they are good. Thinking that also there could be group options in much the same fashion where it takes 2 or more people in order to complete certain scenarios, where humanity is affected just the same, but on a two fold because of course, there are two players.

Necessary 'quests' suck in some games, but optional ones are great because if your not geared up who feels lie doing anything for someone else just yet, but when you are what is there to do except kill zombies and other players and try to survive. I'm thinking this may take away alot of the PvP because more people would have a purpose other than killing too, and would probably for pure randomity's sake, make the game a little more interesting. Not saying do it or else, only putting forward my opinion

Your first post was to my thread what an honor! :) Welcome to DayZ forums. (dun dun DUN!)

Pen i like that idea you get my beans, what about in addition placing a few more rumored to be true areas and items in far reaches of the map i.e. ultra rare items found in haunted style locations that have outcomes based on your characters humanity if your a murderer you will be killed by unkown sources when crossing this area and also the opposite a site well hidden where if your are high in humanity and attempt to enter to retrieve rare items you will be killed by unkown sources. Also one last area where it doesnt matter who you are but enter at your own risk and see what happens..

Pen i like that idea you get my beans, what about in addition placing a few more rumored to be true areas and items in far reaches of the map i.e. ultra rare items found in haunted style locations that have outcomes based on your characters humanity if your a murderer you will be killed by unkown sources when crossing this area and also the opposite a site well hidden where if your are high in humanity and attempt to enter to retrieve rare items you will be killed by unkown sources. Also one last area where it doesnt matter who you are but enter at your own risk and see what happens..

Have you seen this thread? http://dayzmod.com/f...nds#entry232350

I believe Rocket has said some of this stuff would indeed be a fun addition to the game. We can only hope he decides to add something (random) to make us poo ourselves.

Like this?

Edited by Pendragon

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO yes that is what im talking about stuff like that hidden in game that you come across and just go F*** my life

Sorry, but I just don't like this sort of idea. DayZ was and hopefully will remain a simulation, not a game. I don't want to see any implementing of NPCs, or quests, or safe-zones.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I just don't like this sort of idea. DayZ was and hopefully will remain a simulation, not a game. I don't want to see any implementing of NPCs, or quests, or safe-zones.

I'd have to agree, Dayz when it becomes a standalone should just add roaming hords of Infected and have them spawn in some parts of the forests. That would scare the shit out of ya, just like the video above apart from the beast???

Yep definitely no safe zones or quests per say.(Unless player created and maintained) NPC could work but they would most definitely have to have a very limited impact on the world around us. Again I am not advocating the implementing of these type features. If anything I think Rocket should avoid player input on game features. I also do not disagree with your statement, just to be clear.

I'd have to agree, Dayz when it becomes a standalone should just add roaming hords of Infected and have them spawn in some parts of the forests. That would scare the shit out of ya, just like the video above apart from the beast???

IDK there is room for "other" hostile creatures in game, infected wild life is most definitely a way he could go about it. Roaming Zombies is a wonderful idea, its been said many times here and I concur. As long as he didn't go to overboard with it, almost any urban legend left with an ultra rare occurrence could "fit" into DayZ.

I wouldn't mind some sort of Quest system sort of thing.. Instead of calling them quests.. Could call them "Rumors" and when you find or hear about a Rumor.. there is a chance at finding some good stuff maybe? Eventually.. Going around.. Killing zombies and players.. it has to get boring.. there should be more things to do in standalone to enable this game to thrive.

This belongs in suggestions, no matter how you phrase it.

Okay idea, I guess. A little reminiscent of a repeatable quest from multiple games, I can't name any though (too drunk too remember).

Read what Rocket says, and form opinions around it. Quests or any NPC interaction is quite beyond what he's aiming for.

No. The DayZ experience is based on the fact that a noob can attain the same level gear as a pro if they hit the right loot zone. Don't turn this into a game, it's a simulation.

This belongs in suggestions, no matter how you phrase it.

Okay idea, I guess. A little reminiscent of a repeatable quest from multiple games, I can't name any though (too drunk too remember).

Read what Rocket says, and form opinions around it. Quests or any NPC interaction is quite beyond what he's aiming for.

Sorry if this came across like a suggestion. I am in no way asking for it to be added. I was just curious if something like this was added what the community thought. I really don't want the traditional quest type added to DayZ. (but what if there was) Just a simple humanity test, there doesn't even need to be a NPC, just some text and 3 choices. Again this was a what if type question. sorry it sounded like a suggestion.

Also I am aware what Rocket says he wants to do here, and I am excited by it. My only suggestion i think I've ever made was for more sand in the box. (more options to effect the world around us)

Kick the planks in and get some beans. Useless NPCs.

Really no need for a npc to be present, but i am sure a majority would follow your lead.

Edited by Pendragon

Something that needs to be in the mod is more reason to interact with other players in a positive way.

You can't blame people for shooting others all the time when there is no reason not to.

There is no use for other players, people can survive alone.

What would be great is NO-GO-ALONE-ZONES in which you NEED to find a group because it is RIDICULOUSLY IMPOSSIBLE to be by yourself.

Something that requires strategy and communication in order to succeed.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say this.

I agree with this fellow, dayz is not an rpg where good guy decisions=good guy points and bad guy decisions=bad guy points (or just minus/add humanity). Besides the TORtanic already tried npc interaction in this manner.

Needless to say it didn't go well...

I had a few thoughts on this, and I think that if zombies spawned in proportion to the city/town/ etc... that would help facilitate some coop. going into cherno or elektro (while certainly not necessary by any means) would be suicide for a single player and would require a group to loot it. perhaps things like this would unlock new respawn points or the ability to choose your next spawn.

after reading your post pendragon, I immediately thought of the scene in 28 days later where he is downtown after leaving the hospital. the circle or square, or whatever it was, was littered with messages, missing persons notifications etc... one of the most depressing moments in the movie imo. but perhaps a bulletin board of some sort, where players post objectives and other players can choose to do them.

finally, what if the radio was implemented to occasionally send out random messages that provide clues to secret loot spots or hideouts (think of the tape cassettes in fallout new vegas). this could help give the player some optional direction in the game if one was looking for that sort of thing. maps, diaries etc... could also work as well.

on a side note-

I also was thinking that green mountain should be controllable if you found components to get the facility to run with power. again this could be a group related task as a sole player would have a very hard time... but if you brought it back online, you could choose various msgs to send out (perhaps searching for other survivors or unlocking coordinates for loot spots, vehicles, player fortifications, which bandits could likewise use as ambush points etc...???

Something that needs to be in the mod is more reason to interact with other players in a positive way.

You can't blame people for shooting others all the time when there is no reason not to.

There is no use for other players, people can survive alone.

What would be great is NO-GO-ALONE-ZONES in which you NEED to find a group because it is RIDICULOUSLY IMPOSSIBLE to be by yourself.

Something that requires strategy and communication in order to succeed.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say this.

The skill disparity in this game means that it would be very hard to find a level of "ridiculously impossible" that would be manageable for a group of average guys while being impossible for one skilled guy.

Great idea though.

Sorry if this came across like a suggestion. I am in no way asking for it to be added. I was just curious if something like this was added what the community thought. I really don't want the traditional quest type added to DayZ. (but what if there was) Just a simple humanity test, there doesn't even need to be a NPC, just some text and 3 choices. Again this was a what if type question. sorry it sounded like a suggestion.

Also I am aware what Rocket says he wants to do here, and I am excited by it. My only suggestion i think I've ever made was for more sand in the box. (more options to effect the world around us)

Really no need for a npc to be present, but i am sure a majority would follow your lead.

You have my beans, sir.

I think I was having a bad day, because actual conversations like this thread are harder to come by then the typical "omg this game is gay"-post, and that's what I want to promote.

That said, I still can't shake the feeling that it would feel like a typical repeatable "endless quests" system, where factors X Y and Z are randomly generated into Quest A B or C.

In the dayz before duping/scripting/cheating/more duping/tent cities, stuff like this happened between players too. Once upon a time, it was actually hard to keep yourself fed....

really? I guess everyone is duping canteens along with hunting knives/axe/matches/cow meat these days?

Pretty sure not dying from starvation/dehydration was and is the same it was before the duping.