tolk

Kill on Sight Solutions?

Personally I feel that a good start would be reducing the amount of ammo available in the game. You will naturally conserve more ammo if you only have 1 mag as opposed to 12. Make weapon use a last ditch survival choice.

Personally I feel that a good start would be reducing the amount of ammo available in the game. You will naturally conserve more ammo if you only have 1 mag as opposed to 12. Make weapon use a last ditch survival choice.

On the other hand, even tho ammo is kinda easy to get by, it goes by the same way when under zombie attack. If you don't aim for head, or simply can't get them into a building to headshoot, just say goodbye to your ammo.

I really like the above solution by Pushbutton. Making ammo harder to come by improves the game in many ways (at least in the way I invision a game like this.) I loved playing the original resident evil on harder settings because ammo was so sought after that you only used it when you absolutely have to. That's why I can't even play the newer RE games. They have become shooters where they should be horror survival, and survival games should be about the stress of finding resources and staying alive, not about killing ten million zombies ever two seconds.

One thing I always liked in games was text messages that come with a sense of foreboding. I think this could be an effective tool, because you still keep a lot of the mystery and stress of meeitng new people, but with a little heads up based on the actions of the characters you are encountering.

For example:

If you come within a certain range (range would have to be determined by people who have more experience than myself) of a player who has only lost a little humanity, you could get a message on your screen that says something like "You are overcome with a strange sense of unease..." And the messages could get progressively stronger based on the villainy of the person nearby. "You get the feeling something horrible is about to happen..."

The thing that could be neat about a system like this, is that if more than one person is in the area, and you have received a "feeling" you won't know which person it is that has the negative humanity. I think something like this would be ideal because it doesn't single out the one bandit in particular, but it warns the player to be cautious. Conversely, if there are players who do not partake in banditry, you know if you run into someone and no "feeling" at all has happened, then you are safe to interact with that person.

I'm sure there are flaws with such a system, but if something goes into place I think it should leave an area of doubt. I don't like it how it is now, since everyone looks the same and there is no indicator. But I also agree with the bandits that they shouldn't get a skin or visual marker to single them out. Something like this keeps it vague, which could satisfy both camps.

If you come within a certain range (range would have to be determined by people who have more experience than myself) of a player who has only lost a little humanity' date=' you could get a message on your screen that says something like "You are overcome with a strange sense of unease..." And the messages could get progressively stronger based on the villainy of the person nearby. "You get the feeling something horrible is about to happen..."[/quote']

Hmm. I know what I hate... ...and I don't hate this. /Mr.Burns

Good thinking.

Well' date=' I can tell this thread is going to make a bunch of bandit fuck bags rage, so prepare for that. Most bandits (the kill for fun kind anyway) do not want this game to change at all, they don't want it to become more realistic because that makes it more difficult for them to go COD, BF3 style on everybody. This mod is meant to be as realistic as possible, they need to either understand that or go back to COD or BF3.

I'd give my opinion on what should be changed but I need to leave, I'll brainstorm while I'm gone and come back and post again. Pretty good idea, OP.

[/quote']

You seem young, let me enlighten you, the more realistic the game (without any psychological aspects) the easier the game becomes for Bandits.

Killing large groups and no chance at revenge (no respawns)

A single makarov round now being able to kill someone via infection or the metal spreading (realistic injuries)

The ability to utilise traps (mines, man made traps etc) Easier killing.

Realistic lighting effects from the sun blinding players (harder to see in certain directions) Easier killing time

Ability to scout players through their tracks and left behinds (easily track enemy group movement for easily kills) Easier killing.

Please stop saying Bandits want the game less realistic, it's the other way around, the more realism the easier it is for bandits.

Also keep saying Bandits are CoD/Battlefield fanboys, it completely validates your argument right? Not putty any intelligible though into your argument or considering variables, always makes people look smart and worth considering.

/sarcasm

If you come within a certain range (range would have to be determined by people who have more experience than myself) of a player who has only lost a little humanity' date=' you could get a message on your screen that says something like "You are overcome with a strange sense of unease..." And the messages could get progressively stronger based on the villainy of the person nearby. "You get the feeling something horrible is about to happen..."[/quote']

Hmm. I know what I hate... ...and I don't hate this. /Mr.Burns

Good thinking.

It may not have to be so blunt as text messages, this could be conveyed with sound. It would perhaps be a little obvious to have an increasing buzz of flies surrounding the lower humanity, but something there maybe.

It may not have to be so blunt as text messages' date=' this could be conveyed with sound. It would perhaps be a little obvious to have an increasing buzz of flies surrounding the lower humanity, but something there maybe.[/quote']

Also not a bad idea! If the music was a bit more immersive, and driven by incident, then it would be subtle, and would add to the whole ambiance thing.

Rocket has stated the mistrust within your own fellow survivors is part of the game he wants. Labelling or clearly giving a way to identify a 'bandit' would remove what he is trying to achieve.

Keep your wits about you :P

I agree completely. Would be nice to come up with an idea that doesn't immediately identify people as one or the other. Hence my original suggestion punishes too much banditry on a personal level but doesn't allow other survivors to identify them on sight.

@Handsome interesting idea, has one problem that it prevents people from being able to sneak up on you. Having some kind of sixth sense is an interesting concept though and adds an extra level of realism; we make judgment calls about people at first sight based on appearance, posture etc. Which are usually surprisingly accurate but not always. So maybe adding a degree of randomness would further improve this so you can never be sure if the judgment is 100 percent accurate.

A change in music or a sound would work for me. I think I suggested the on screen text cause I'm sucker for nostalgia. As long as it's a vague indicator that bad dudes are around I'm in.

Also, nice Simpsons reference.

Gunfire of any sort should be like ringing the zombie dinner bell. Gunshots would travel a long way particularly considering how quiet the world would be now (no cars/trains/planes/people).

Make it so that if you fire a shot the chances are very high you are going to be killed by zed.

Then the choice becomes : Whats most likely to get me killed. Firing or not firing ?

The guns that everyone seems to covet so much are lying about this landscape because the guys who were professionally trained and had an army at their back couldnt use them to stay alive.

@Handsome interesting idea' date=' has one problem that it prevents people from being able to sneak up on you.[/quote']

The Killing Joke walks softly through the forest... He thinks someone is following him, but even though he looks over his shoulder, he sees nothing but trees and impending darkness... All of a sudden, his eyesight darkens, as a message looms in front of him...

LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!

:D

I, for one, could use messages like this.

@Handsome interesting idea' date=' has one problem that it prevents people from being able to sneak up on you. Having some kind of sixth sense is an interesting concept though and adds an extra level of realism; we make judgment calls about people at first sight based on appearance, posture etc. Which are usually surprisingly accurate but not always. So maybe adding a degree of randomness would further improve this so you can never be sure if the judgment is 100 percent accurate.

[/quote']

That's a good point about sneaking. I guess you would have to find a point where it ups your paranoia, but not at the cost of ruining someone's ability to creep up on people.

I guess if the range of the message is long enough it might maintain an element of surprise. Two examples:

1) If you enter a city and get the message that wouldn't be a surprise. I would expect someone to be there anyways, and you have no idea where. If I saw the message that registered the worst kind of player it would make for an intense moment.

2) If you can creep around within range of the person long enough, then they might think that you are gone. If the zone of effect is big enough, there would be instances where you get the message, keep doing things, and bump into the person 20 minutes later etc. This would provide a window for stealth.

Might not be the best solution though, but I'm glad this is spawning a bit of a brainstorm. As soon as I hit the post reply button the first time i thought "wait, this a stupid idea" haha.

Gunfire of any sort should be like ringing the zombie dinner bell. Gunshots would travel a long way particularly considering how quiet the world would be now (no cars/trains/planes/people).

Make it so that if you fire a shot the chances are very high you are going to be killed by zed.

Then the choice becomes : Whats most likely to get me killed. Firing or not firing ?

The guns that everyone seems to covet so much are lying about this landscape because the guys who were professionally trained and had an army at their back couldnt use them to stay alive.

Agree. I think the problem with this is to do with implementation. I would guess the reason why zees spawn near towns is that the game doesn't track them when there are no players around and instead despawns them to save on resources. I could be wrong though. If this is the case i guess you could workaround by spawning zombies nearby gun shots based on some probability. Nice thought.

@Handsome interesting idea' date=' has one problem that it prevents people from being able to sneak up on you. Having some kind of sixth sense is an interesting concept though and adds an extra level of realism; we make judgment calls about people at first sight based on appearance, posture etc. Which are usually surprisingly accurate but not always. So maybe adding a degree of randomness would further improve this so you can never be sure if the judgment is 100 percent accurate.

[/quote']

That's a good point about sneaking. I guess you would have to find a point where it ups your paranoia, but not at the cost of ruining someone's ability to creep up on people.

I guess if the range of the message is long enough it might maintain an element of surprise. Two examples:

1) If you enter a city and get the message that wouldn't be a surprise. I would expect someone to be there anyways, and you have no idea where. If I saw the message that registered the worst kind of player it would make for an intense moment.

2) If you can creep around within range of the person long enough, then they might think that you are gone. If the zone of effect is big enough, there would be instances where you get the message, keep doing things, and bump into the person 20 minutes later etc. This would provide a window for stealth.

Might not be the best solution though, but I'm glad this is spawning a bit of a brainstorm. As soon as I hit the post reply button the first time i thought "wait, this a stupid idea" haha.

What if you used a system similar to the con system used in old mmos. You don't get an automatic message saying that there is someone near by, but if you see someone you can make a judgment call on the person. As tolk said, something that isn't 100% accurate, but can give you a general sense if the person is another survivor or a bandit. It would be a way to keep the realism in the game, since you would be making similar judgment calls whenever you came across someone in the world, while still allowing people to sneak up on you unaware.

EDIT: Kind of failed explaining this. Basically you see someone and you have a hotkey that would display a text based message giving you a general sense of the player's humanity level based on a "judgment" call.

What if you used a system similar to the con system used in old mmos. You don't get an automatic message saying that there is someone near by' date=' but if you see someone you can make a judgment call on the person. As tolk said, something that isn't 100% accurate, but can give you a general sense if the person is another survivor or a bandit. It would be a way to keep the realism in the game, since you would be making similar judgment calls whenever you came across someone in the world, while still allowing people to sneak up on you unaware.

EDIT: Kind of failed explaining this. Basically you see someone and you have a hotkey that would display a text based message giving you a general sense of the player's humanity level based on a "judgment" call.

[/quote']

Nice suggestion, would have to have a timeout on hotkey use so people cant spam it to detect people in forests etc. Maybe have the degree of randomness/accuracy based on range.

Shoot first' date=' the end.

[/quote']

Hey to each their own. I just know that I will get bored with a game if there isn't more to it than just shooting people. Having to make decisions about trusting people is a really intriguing aspect of this game that I would like to see fleshed out.

Having any of the above suggested systems does not eliminate this option, it simply adds more layers and the more layers the better when it comes to replayability.

Agree. I think the problem with this is to do with implementation. I would guess the reason why zees spawn near towns is that the game doesn't track them when there are no players around and instead despawns them to save on resources. I could be wrong though. If this is the case i guess you could workaround by spawning zombies nearby gun shots based on some probability. Nice thought.

I was also thinking that gunfights should get those zombies moving even if there really is not actual zombies spawned already in the vicinity of the players. Like you said, the solution could be that every louder sound you make might spawn a zombie or ten near you by a chance.

I remember like situations in Walking Dead where the protagonists go to a seemingly empty area and start making a racket or fight against each other. Then out of nowhere, walkers!

This would also really fit in the game theme.

Shoot first' date=' the end.

[/quote']

That is why I suggested reducing the amount of ammo available. Shoot first wouldn't be such an easy choice if you only have a 1/2 mag left. You could still shoot them, yes, or you could jump them and rob them, leaving them alive, but with no supplies. The choices become more in depth when you have very little ammo.

That is why I suggested reducing the amount of ammo available. Shoot first wouldn't be such an easy choice if you only have a 1/2 mag left. You could still shoot them' date=' yes, or you could jump them and rob them, leaving them alive, but with no supplies. The choices become more in depth when you have very little ammo.[/quote']

I think people would be more inclined to shoot each other. A mag to take out the zombies if you get spotted while searching a house, or a single bullet to kill another guy and claim whatever he's carrying? If ammo is extremely scarce, most players would go with the latter.

Nice suggestion' date=' would have to have a timeout on hotkey use so people cant spam it to detect people in forests etc. Maybe have the degree of randomness/accuracy based on range.

[/quote']

Well the idea is that it wouldn't detect people that you can't visually see. It wouldn't be an aoe detection, rather a line of sight detection. So if you come upon someone and they have not noticed your presence, you can get more information on them based on "watching" them. I do agree that accuracy should fall off as the distance increases.

Also not a bad idea! If the music was a bit more immersive' date=' and driven by incident, then it would be subtle, and would add to the whole ambiance thing.[/quote']

Perhaps a combination of music and minor sound effects? Heartbeat becomes audible, music becomes dark and ambient. Not enough to scream HEY THIS GUY IS EVIL SHOOT HIM but would put you on guard, since you don't know if it's the guy in front of you or a sniper in a tower that's making you nervous. My concern though is that if it's too subtle, most players probably wouldn't bother trying to listen in and would take the shot anyways just to be safe.

Kill on Sight Solutions? - Implying killing on sight is currently a problem.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results".

1. Get a fucking plan.

2. Stop assuming everyone wants to survive.

3. Stop assuming everyone wants to cooperate.

4. Find the people (offline if needed) that want to do these things.

5. Trust those people and nobody else.

6. Don't be part of the fucking problem (avoid' date=' rather than kill).

This IS stupid. So do something about it. Posting "aw everyone kills everyone" on the forums is what people have been doing for ages. Has it worked? NO. So try something else. I see a few groups are doing different stuff, and they're keeping quiet about it. It's obvious from the database those people who are adjusting to the "anti-game" environment and those who aren't.

I don't have the resources or the inclination to balance the game, or develop some kind of punishment system. So that just ain't going to happen, even if it was within the scope of the project (and its not).

[b']So the DayZ world has gone to shit? Good. We're on track then. Because its a fucking Zombie Apocalypse.

I think this is the point of the thread. It isn't to create a punishment for killing other people, but it is to try and find a simple solution which would make KOS not the only answer. Right now there is no other reason to do anything other than KOS even if you don't want to yourself. You shouldn't trust anyone, that is a great part of the game, but there is a difference between not trusting someone and shooting them because it is your only available option.

I think this is the point of the thread. It isn't to create a punishment for killing other people' date=' but it is to try and find a simple solution which would make KOS not the only answer. Right now there is no other reason to do anything other than KOS even if you don't want to yourself. You shouldn't trust anyone, that is a great part of the game, but there is a difference between not trusting someone and shooting them because it is your only available option.

[/quote']

My problem is all the rampant gunplay that goes on. In a world where the apparant most dangerous thing is atracted by thrown cans and empty bottles breaking the last thing you should want to do is fire a gun.