Sign in to follow this  
wufnu

I feel really bad (the excitement of risk)

I'm a new player. My first guy died in 3 minutes because I didn't know how to use a bandage. The second guy died in the first town he visited; didn't have much, some beans and an alice pack I found in a rail station. This guy I'm playing now, though, I've been playing him for a couple days. Started in Elektro, navigated my way through the towns of Pusta, hit a church near Kumyrna, skipped Guglovo to hit some high value targets to the west, then through Novy Sobor last night. I did most of this on my belly, at night, and it took me days.

Today, I was running through Stary Sobor picking up what updated items I could find. I managed to find a silenced M9 pistol and thought I was the luckiest guy in the world. The next tent, I found an old AK with 2 mags and thought, "Surely, I cannot be any luckier than this." Then, after about a minute and 2 tents later, I hear brush moving. I look to my left and see a guy in a gillie suit creeping around. He's about to be at my position and I know that bandits are supposed to look different and he's the first guy I see in a sniper suit so I'm thinking, "Great, I'm about to get killed by a bandit it, just when I got an AK!" I can't see any way to hide without making noise so I have to figure out what to do. Do I be still and hope he doesn't see me, should I ask if he's friendly (and take his word on it), or should I use my surprise advantage and take him down before giving him a chance to take all my hard won stuff? I chose the latter.

So, I setup shop in between tents and waited for him to come sneaking around. With all the hard-won gear I've managed to get, my heart was pounding, HARD. I figured if I was going to go out, I'd go out in a blaze a glory, considering that firing the AK so close to town would draw them to my location. When he stuck his military looking head from around the tent, gun up, I put about 6 rounds into the side of his body (I flanked him) and he went down. Surprisingly, I didn't hear a single zombie alarmed (will find out why later). Anyway, I come up to this guy and he's still breathing and I can't loot while he's alive so I take my silenced pistol and put 2 in his brain. Now I can loot, great.

Turns out, this guy must have been playing a very VERY long time. He not only had a great pistol but a SILENCED MP5. That's insanely hard to get. 11 blood bags, tons of food, meat, the whole nine yards, and a Czech backpack which is HUGE.

This poor guy... turns out he wasn't a bandit because my murder count went up one. It was an honest enough mistake for me, I have no idea what bandit skins look like but I know that once you go past a certain number of kills you'll have a "bandit skin", apparently, so I thought he was a bandit. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and got nailed. I think the reason I didn't alarm any zombies is because he probably killed them all with his silenced weapons!

I feel really, REALLY horrible for what happened to that guy. Really, I just don't know how long he'd been playing but he had tons of hard to find gear. He must be so, so very angry and I really feel horrible (in real life). On the other hand, I feel elated at all of the cool gear I just got. At this point in the game, I could just hike out into the middle of the biggest forest I can find and kill animals for food and use ponds for water. Not much of a game at that point, though... now that I have everything I need and cool military gear, what do I do now? Going through towns and braving zombies is un-needed because I have everything I need.

Anyway, it's been a very, VERY long time since I've felt this sort of adrenaline rush in a game. If I had to pick, I'd say I haven't felt anything like this since trying to hope stacks of gold to the bank in UO (Siege Perilous) and seeing someone along the way (they take everything if they kill you, and anyone can kill you). I've also never felt bad about killing another player before this. This game can bring some intense emotions, I like it. Now I just need to figure out what to do next because I believe I can survive indefinitely in the woods but that's not very fun...

You don't have to feel bad for him. He wasn't careful enough and you got the drop on him. Whoever dies in this game is because they aren't careful

Take his stuff and carry on.

And what to do next? I managed to survive for 2 weeks on the woods, sure it's fun cause of the survival element but it gets boring. Now my group has a challenge of surviving exclusively on coastal cities. Much more exciting, dangerous and rewarding.

3 days now and we have yet to be killed in Elektro.

Well, I didn't want to just kill some random guy and I still feel bad for him. I just hope he didn't rage-quit, never to return. His name was "The End".

That sounds like fun. I don't really have anyone to play with due to work and where I live so I just kind of do it alone. Back in UO I was with a group called the Shadowclan Orcs and we took over a fort and harassed anyone we came across. I think it would be great to do something like that in DayZ although it would be better if we could control where we respawn and respawn rates of Zs so that we could claim an area as ours and rob anyone that comes near. I'm imagining us, maybe in a car or maybe on foot, in force, chasing some Joe Random down and telling him to give us something to eat or die. Gib tribuut!

''Czech backpack which is HUGE. ''

Yeah man, 16 slots is fucking awesome.

Also there is no bandit skin, they removed that some time ago.

How can he have played for so long without having an Alice Pack? I've found like 5-6 in one grocery store.

There is no more bandit skin. Your skin will not automatically change after x number of murders or negative humanity. you can find skins laying around and put them on - the changes are purely cosmetic, but be careful, as they can be glitchy and screw you over when putting them on.

Nicely written story mate :)

Loved the read to be honest.

And you don't have to feel bad for him either.

The hardly earned gear he had, was simply the M9 SD which drops from barracks/deerstands, or the mp5 from helicashies, barracks/deerstands.

But good find evenso mate.

What server are you on?

Maybe you can tag with us?

We were all abou the surviving and hunting unfriendly players all over the place.

But currently we got boored of it, it wasn't hard surviving in the forrest so now we have taken to the coast, and are roaming the city during day/night time.

Don't know what to do?

Here is a list of stuff:

Camp the NW airfield for gear.

Repair Vehicles

Set up a tent in a good location to fill up with gear, and when you got enough then go rampage in a city, and see how long you last., when you die just go back to the tent and start over, and set goals like that. (It IS tense, and really nervwrecking if you track 4 people moving in the city, and then you see one turn arround while ur crawling afetr them in a guillie suit in thegrass)

List of stuff to get:

SVD Dragunov Camo(goes perfectly with the Guillies suit, as it makes you nearly invisible to the naked eye, unless someone with binos are spotting ur way, evenso you can be hard to see in the grass/trees)

M4A1 SD

M16 with M203 grenade launcher(funniest wep in game imo)

M136=Rocket launcher (OH THE FUN, see 4 ppl running into a house? send a rocket in the door and laugh)

Get NVR= nightvision goggles and hit a nighttime server and hunt sniper's in Cherno/elektro, or lay on a roof laughing at people running arround with glowsticks and flares =D

Get a range finder and try to get retardedly long killshots with a sniper.

Good example: Get the BAF AS50 that can zero in on 1800meters..

One kill from that and you will be exstatic..

I saw a video of someone that was chasing a bandit on a mortorcycle that he wanted, he was at Novy sobor when he was comming through on the bike, he figured he was heading for the airfield, so he went in a straightline for the airport with his BAF AS50, and man oh man.. comming over the hill and then shooting someone driving away from you from 1500+ meters is hysterical..

Never heard anyone laugh like that before :P

Best kill i've seen in ages :p

Ah, no bandit skin? Poor guy. I was too dumb to know better, "looks different = bandit" haha. Oh well.

Hmm, yah, it's only 16 slots but when I got it it doubled my storage so I was pretty pumped to get it. As I mentioned, I had an alice pack that I got in like the first 10 minutes of my second life. If only I'd have lived...

I'd love to play with you guys although in a day I'm leaving China for a couple months in the US (miss home). Usually, I can only play when everyone is asleep. You've used "mate" more than once; perchance you're an Aussie? That would be ideal for today but we'd be different time zones in a couple days :(

Haven't played in the past couple of days due to all of the hacking going 'round but I suppose that's all cleared up now.

Ah' date=' no bandit skin? Poor guy. I was too dumb to know better, "looks different = bandit" haha. Oh well.

Hmm, yah, it's only 16 slots but when I got it it doubled my storage so I was pretty pumped to get it. As I mentioned, I had an alice pack that I got in like the first 10 minutes of my second life. If only I'd have lived...

I'd love to play with you guys although in a day I'm leaving China for a couple months in the US (miss home). Usually, I can only play when everyone is asleep. You've used "mate" more than once; perchance you're an Aussie? That would be ideal for today but we'd be different time zones in a couple days :(

Haven't played in the past couple of days due to all of the hacking going 'round but I suppose that's all cleared up now.

[/quote']

I use mate alot, which is very true..

But no, im not an aussie :p not by miles, im from Norway, but im half swedish, half norwegian, but maybe to polite for my own good, inwhich i will use mate when saying something to someone im beeing friendly to.

Also, it might be because im terrible at english grammar so :p

-Z

I always get that awful feeling whenever I kill someone, knowing that they were just trying to do the same as I was; survive. Survival includes the rule, "every man for himself". Before someone gets the chance to kill you, you have to kill them. It's happened to me several times now; I'm running to a town and I see someone crawling ahead of me. I run up behind them and say, "friendly," just so they know I'm there and I don't plan on shooting them. Do you know what they do? I guess you do, they turn around and start firing little noobish Makarov shots at me. It's not pleasant when you die due to you not having the balls to shoot someone first. I'd rather not shoot on sight, but that's just how it is. With the items my group and I have right now, I'd kill anyone that approaches; although my only murder is from myself killing a group member by accident (someone was in our Ural's driver seat at camp, I shot them, they didn't die, my friends shot them a few more times, they died. Then my friend got in the drivers seat, I got confused because I thought that the bandit or whatever had respawned, so I shot him).

That was a good read, nicely laid out and it made me feel like I was there with you.

As for the content of the post, it is completely fine this mod in essence is a survival game. If that person had seen you, he would have happily killed you off since he would never risk all the items he had on him on a new player.

The guy you killed was not an experience bandit, but I liked your story. Enjoy the loot and pass on the good news of day z to many friends.

dont feel bad, im not really a bandit, but everyone who goes to stary or the airfield must know about the risk (i mean youre a decent player to go there and try to loot) that they get shot by any player they encounter there.

i dont take any risk, i got shot and killed several times as well trying to loot those places or attacking other players, thats just life.