Puffy

GETTING. INFECTED.

Getting the infection, yes or no?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Getting infected by a zombie

They're not zombies, so they can't infect you.

They're infected though, the virus could spread through saliva and blood.

agree with the last post, although I think there should be a.) a cure, or perhaps something to keep the virus under control and b.) physical signs of your turning, so your buddies have to wiegh out how long its safe before they have to put you down. Infection chance just a percentage per 'bite' I like the idea of you losing control of your survivor, and him becoming an infected, with your kit and you respawning.

Hell make the virus airborne, waterborne etc.. as well with ways to filter it out (gas masks, boil your water supplies, cook meat etc) Somebody posted a cool link to a fog effect somewhere...

Edited by John Spectre

Maybe tie the chance to get infected with how well you are taking care of yourself.A new food and drink system would need to be added and the temperature of your body made harsher.A more realistic system where you can survive one day without water but where food raises or lowers your health to infection.So if your struggling to find food and hence undernourished then you better not get bitten as your chance for infection rises.And if temps get reworked then making sure you do not get chilled and catch a cold adds to taking care of yourself aspect.

How about, after getting zombiefied, you have to survive as a zombie.

1) As far as not getting infected/being immune, well the thing is viruses always mutate and different strands of the virus are created. I don't know how long someone can stay immune.

2) Antibiotics should cure it from a gameplay standpoint. As far as hiding your gear and finding it with your next character, I hope they find a way to get rid of this. When you die, you die, it's permadeath and it should suck when you die. Meaning you lose EVERYTHING and have to scavenge yet again. You should NOT be able to come back and get it.

Plus it would suck if EVERY time you got attacked you were infected and that was the end of it, it was only a question of time. You should have X% chance to contract the virus and from there you have X amount of time to get antibiotics before you turn.

3) As far as reanimation being off the table, no it is NOT, think about. When you're fever gets to a certain point and the virus begins to really take over, you'd just instantly turn into one of the ZEDs. You'd basically be an aggressive being driven to mindless behavior by the virus and fever. A reanimated ZED NPC, not player controlled of course.

4) For the person who mentioned surviving as a zombie, NO! haha Please no. The point of these zombie is mindless aggressive players. Players cannot accurately portray this behavior. Not to mention people would abuse this and attack all newbies by the coast, hide in houses for ambushes, stand over loot piles, etc. etc.

Edited by Lights Out

They're not zombies.

http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Infected

Now we can split hairs, or we can discuss if a player-controlled infected zombie would be cool or not.

Ofcourse, if you get shot, you respawn as a survivor. Think of it as bonus game after getting eaten by them.

http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Infected

Now we can split hairs, or we can discuss if a player-controlled infected zombie would be cool or not.

Ofcourse, if you get shot, you respawn as a survivor. Think of it as bonus game after getting eaten by them.

As I mentioned, players can't accurately portray zombie behavior. They are mindless aggressive beings that only want to attack you and eat flesh. They don't coordinate plans, ambush you, wait for you, none of that. Players would take away from this. Not to mention all the people who are going to abuse the zombies by flocking to spawn points, attacking new spawns, hiding in buildings around corners, covering loot piles. It just won't work.

Edited by Lights Out

By the way, not trying to thread jack but I've suggested this before. I went a little more in depth of how this virus contraction would work and talked about the elements that would be added to the game with this feature. Check it out.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/69405-dead-players-turning-to-zombies/#entry662756

cheers though, I agree with the idea, minus the whole incurable thing.

I think the idea is good, but let it be cureable, for gameplay sake. also my thought on it, is if your temp goes up it shows your infected, so the guage would turn red, also/mabye put a timer next to your blood, counting down, once it hits zero, dead or not you turn. this can be slowed by a more common drug/med, cured by a rare vaccine. Just my thought on it, give us more items to be looking for and need to keep.

How about, after getting zombiefied, you have to survive as a zombie.

This, this could be a great idea. You get infected, but your exterior looks like a zombie. You're still a person though, as the player has some genetic immunity to becoming infected though. People would still want to shoot you, and you couldn't be with other people as you would be excreting the virus, but i agree, this would be very cool.

I think the idea is good, but let it be cureable, for gameplay sake. also my thought on it, is if your temp goes up it shows your infected, so the guage would turn red, also/mabye put a timer next to your blood, counting down, once it hits zero, dead or not you turn. this can be slowed by a more common drug/med, cured by a rare vaccine. Just my thought on it, give us more items to be looking for and need to keep.

I don't think it should affect your blood as the virus isn't doing anything to your blood count. Remember that number is not hp, its the amount of blood in your body. As I mentioned in my post, your only tool to gauge roughly how far along you are is your body temperature as your fever spikes. However there would be no set time of how long you have until the virus takes over, it would vary. Maybe dependent on your overall health (if you already had a regular infection, are sick (have a cold), low blood count, dehydrated, malnourished etc. etc.).

This will make other decisions come into play. How long does your group wait until they kill you for their safety? Do they give up antibiotics they have if they may need it later? Do you tell your group your sick even though they might kill you? You see a group member get attacked, they say they arent infected but are they lying? Your going to turn within a second without notice when you hit that certain point. After this there is no way to warn anyone and they can get injured and contract the virus from you reanimated player Zed NPC. This adds a lot more depth to the game. I mentioned all this stuff in depth in my thread.

Edited by Lights Out

I thought the survivors were immune to the virus, because you know a virus wiping most of the population of world would have already hit you if you weren't immune.

I thought the survivors were immune to the virus, because you know a virus wiping most of the population of world would have already hit you if you weren't immune.

Well, not if you're smart/well prepared. And like it's been said before, viruses mutate and form different strands of the virus. You can't be immune forever.

It's bad enough crawling when you have a broken leg, zig zagging as a Zed won't help either. What happens if a player shoots your legs? you'll press the reset button faster.

For eg, run like a zombie / infected (whatever technical nerds) and the controls will be all over the place, Nah! Just respawn and start over, I suppose you'll still be able to chat to your m8s over TS, Skype as well? "shit I was eaten, now I'm a zed, come take my stuff so i don't lose it! or "I'm coming for you, Imma eat your BRAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNSSSS"

Dead is Dead, Apocalypse simulator. It could be a release as a special offer?! Anyway I'm immune from the Virus, I aint playing to be a Zed.

Dead is Dead, Apocalypse simulator.

Yes. So when you get killed they should globally ban your CD key, your IP and steam account. Cause you know, you are dead, and you can't just respawn like that.

Dead is dead.