Pauijay

Community Dying? Too many hackers?

You cannot refute the fact that the game has lost a large chunk of its player base due to hackers.

If only private hives were available/endorsed sooner by the staff, this situation might of been avoided entirely.

Good luck with the standalone release, I won't be purchasing.

cant hardly play on public servers anymore, every single time i try, hackers are there ruining the experience.

do you think this will kill the community? i do.

i'm starting to lose faith in the community and battleye's ability to remove this threat that seems to be never ending.

is hacking this game REALLY that easy?

thoughts? suggestions?

i personally foresee the community dying and moving on to other games.

i find myself getting bored with the game. there isnt much to do after a while. the most fun i had in the last week was a few days ago when a couple hackers more or less kidnapped me. they ported me all over with them and was just doing random shit. aside from them porting me around they werent even bothering anyone. i wasnt bothered because before they came i was bored to tears. they were spawning random cars and blowing them up just for kicks, and even used some satchel charges to blow up some trees. id never seen half the shit they were doing so it was rather entertaining.

in before ZOMG YOU WERE CHILILN WITH HACKZORS

edit: im in no way saying hackers are good. they should all get together in one spot, build a bonfire, and then die in it.

Edited by manseedcannon

i didnt know school extends to evenings and nights. the servers are dead all day, all night. everyday.

Its because there are now 3 (or 4?) maps. So the population which was only on one map has split onto the new maps.

I stopped playing about a month ago due to the hackers and the way everyone just treated it as a Team Deathmatch shooter.

I'll definitely be trying the standalone though, and I feel honoured to have been a part of the community at such an early stage.

Remove sniper rifles and fix the cheaters and I'd certainly come back.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

Its because there are now 3 (or 4?) maps. So the population which was only on one map has split onto the new maps.

As I saw it, people only got interested in non-hive servers, be they other maps or not, as a means of escaping the hackers. One of the original things about this mod was the hive, taking loot from server to server etc. Private servers blow, in that you could build up a good character and then are only able to get a decent game if and when that server has players.Without any fucking shadow of a doubt, the main reason the majority of players quit is not boarding school or different maps, but hackers. Hackers that teleport and instantly kill. Sure there are other serious problems like logging, ghosting and duping. Those were also serious factors in diminishing the playerbase but at that time, before grief-hacking became widespread, there were 200,000 more players at least. Hacking finished it.Roll the fuck on, standalone!

If you look hard enough you can find ways to avoid hackers. Yea it takes something from the the game but if you stick to low pop servers or perhaps its the fact I only play really early in the morning.

Most hackers we encounter are skiddies. People who bought lines of script to do something the game isn't normally endorse. The more servers they have the less likely they are gonna server hop as some servers have a more watchful eye then others.

They need to make the engine slightly metamorphic and relocate various sections within the game itself so that the reverse engineers can't will have a much harder time creating external maps with equipment locations and the like (most of the supposed reverse engineers I've seen in the ARMA hacker community are rank amateurs). Furthermore they should do access level checking with each command so that the server doesn't execute and replicate malicious script commands to itself and the various other clients connected to it. They could also mitigate the effects of packet based external maps by only transmitting the locations of entities within, say, 2000m of the player. They'd probably have to write the code to do this C++ due to the fact that it's got to run on a tight, time dependent loop. It shouldn't be hard though. Simple metamorphic code, on the other hand, is harder to write and would probably take some planning. Edited by Tigerbeetweenie

Instead of coming onto here and complaining about hackers in public servers etc, why not just play in private hive servers or white-listed servers? Theres a much lower chance of hackers being in these servers.