iamblazelflack

How players are made good/bad

So me and another player who helped me out today were discussing this and I just kept thinking about it. All the time I see people complain about being shot by bandits and etc; then saying that they will now just start shooting anyone. And I was thinking, what made players shoot on site so fast? The more I thought about it, the more I began to kind of understand it like a domino effect.

Say there are 3 players on a server. Player A, B & C. Player A comes by player B. Now A is a nice guy, and wants to just be on his way. But B decides to shoot him. So after that death, A decides he will kill before killed. So later A comes upon C and shoots him. Domino effect. So my thought process is, if you want nice players, be a nice player. No matter if you get shot. If B would have helped A, A probably would have been more likely to help C out.

So what I am saying is. Next time you get shot and think "well I might as well just start killing whoever I come across." Avoid them or offer help, so next time they might just offer help to another player and so forth and so forth. Not sure if everyone agrees with me but that was just what I think on the matter.

• Like 3

Haha by all means go ahead. This is more for the people who want friendly players but then go around shooting everyone.

I don't think you've been shot enougbh iamblazelflack. Its the process of DayZ, but after a while you avoid others and only play with RL friends, if you see others you might avoid, but you certainly won't take the risk.

Yes there are the occasion friendly survior about, but either 1. They were once a bandit and now bored 2. Have a load of gear stored and don't care if they die. 3. Have no gear.

• Like 1

You would think people recognised this way of thinking, it's actually pretty obvious but I think those that turn to banditry are just looking for an excuse. I am still a friendly player, I've been here since 1.5.8.4

• Like 1

I don't think you've been shot enougbh iamblazelflack. Its the process of DayZ, but after a while you avoid others and only play with RL friends, if you see others you might avoid, but you certainly won't take the risk.

Yes there are the occasion friendly survior about, but either 1. They were once a bandit and now bored 2. Have a load of gear stored and don't care if they die. 3. Have no gear.

Yea

I tried joining a private hive game. Loved having nothing, decided I'd try something different and be friendly. It was a lot of fun, til a cheater ruined it. so the next day I tell my friends and they decide to friend it up with me in Cherno on this server. WOW what a ridiculous cluster of confusing shit that turned out to be. Some people roll with it, play along y'know? It's neat, then one guy with an AK starts trying to kill people. We decide it's our duty to put this guy down, so we scatter and try to shoot whoever is holding an AK. Turns out.......A LOT OF PEOPLE have AKs. Before long it started to seem like we were bandits. So we left town and decided to keep the friendly guy stuff on a case-by-case basis. Trying to be friends with everybody when everybody is trying to kill each other is just insanity. Trying to be the police is confusing. Staying outside of town and killing snipers is the only way to help everybody at once.

Edited by Taffer

To me, it is always genuinely surprising to see this kind of behaviour in people coupled with the type of reasoning that goes with it.

It reads no different from someone saying: "I hate it when someone is late, but this one guy is always late to our meetings, so from now on I'll be late every time, too." Now why on earth would I want to go through with such a thing? Sure, perhaps once or a few times, maybe hoping to make him get the point assuming everything else has failed, but on a general basis, why would I want to engage in behaviour to which I've confessed being opposed? That'll just lower me in my own eyes. (And, in my particular example, it would mean I was late with everything else, since I was constantly lagging behind, so it would spread to other areas of my life, too.)

I refuse to be a bandit because that's not how I want to live my life, that's not who I want to be. Obviously a lot of people feel differently, and so playing DayZ for any length of time is quickly going to teach you to be wary around people you don't know, but that's not a bad skill to have in general, nor does it mean you should imitate the behaviour of those you find to be bad.

Unless of course it turns out that what bothers most players about banditry is merely the negative consequence it brings to their games and to their lives, and the best way to turn that around is to perpetuate the same behaviour and simply exist on the other side of the equation. But that just means such players never truly had any moral foundation dictating how they feel on this topic. They weren't really bothered by theft, only by being stolen from.

I'm gonna admit it, I shoot everyone on sight, but if someone smart enough would put his weapon away (2x control), he would not look as aggressive.. Of course I wouldn't kill him if he did that, but people are too stupid to learn the controls of the game before playing.

Edited by Sutinen

What the OP said is exactly what happened with me (the domino effect), but a couple times over. The first thing I did was try and meet up with my RL friends in the game, once we did, we had fun running around chatting to other lone players, trying to get them to join our group. We got shot on the odd occasion and each time, we were more careful and tentative about approaching others than the last as this shoot on sight mentality was growing. Eventually it got to a point where it snapped for us, and this was up in Stary.

It was night, and there were 4 of us running around with probably 4 other people on the server. We decided that Stary would be safer at night and made haste through the country hills to reach it. As it was night time and we were relatively new, we were carrying a flare on one guy, running with it lit. We got to Stary and were hanging around in the open by the tower with the golf ball on top when my buddy next to me took a couple of rounds, dropping the flare. The other 3 of us ran inside the huge red metal shack and threw up a flare for light. We spent the next 10mins or so in there, talking over global chat to this guy asking why he killed our friend who was now sprinting his way back up. He had no reason, there was nothing valid that made him decide to shoot us, other than we were a potential threat. But we didn't even know he was there, we had only just arrived in the town.

Eventually we said that we'll leave him be, and bugger off somewhere else. But knowing we couldn't trust him fully, we decided to do it and run when the flare went out to try and mask our escape. Sure enough, the flare died down and we ran out the back of the building and into the fields to the East of Stary. All the while, under gunfire from this one guy. We had no clue where he was, we were to busy trying to save our own asses and get the hell out. The entire time we had been telling this guy that we were friendly and weren't going to shoot him, yet he still shot at us when he had the opportunity. This huge distrust and all the times before when we had been shot lead me and my group down into the same pool. Shoot-on-sight.

After months of playing, thats been reeled in a bit. Now, if we see anyone, we'll try and watch them for as long as possible to see what type of player they are, and then decide to either kill them (usually if they have better gear), or leave them be (mostly noobs or anyone running away from us). And of course, new spawn means time to make friends where-ever possible.