Sign in to follow this  
PygmyJess

How To: Install & Run DayZ on Mac

How to Install & Run DayZ on Mac Guide

*This is must all be done on Windows OS Drive (BootCamp)*

Things you will need:

• A BootCamped Mac

*BootCamping a Mac is a completely different subject. Here is a link to guide you through that: http://manuals.info....stall-setup.pdf

Before you can even plan on purchasing and downloading stage:

• You must download a catalyst for your integrated video card
  • Go to this link: http://support.amd.c...SupportHub.aspx
  • Fill in the information about your BootCamped Mac under "Download Drivers"
  • Download & install the suggested catalyst for you

Example for information required: Mac Graphics > Apple Bootcamp > MacBook Pro > Windows 7 - 32 bit

Let's see if you can even run it stage:

This will tell you if you meet the system requirements.

Note: Ignore the video card information, because it doesn't register the catalyst on this site. As long as your Mac is OS X version 10.5 or greater you should have no problem.

All done. Now that wasn't so bad was it?:

I suggest using DayzCommander.

Please leave any comments or feedback in case I forgot any details. I hope this helps some people.

Edited by PygmyJess
  • Like 3

How to Install & Run DayZ on Mac Guide

Things you will need:

• A BootCamped Mac

*BootCamping a Mac is a completely different subject. Here is a link to guide you through that: http://manuals.info....stall-setup.pdf

Before you can even plan on purchasing and downloading stage:

• You must download a catalyst for your integrated video card
  • Go to this link: http://support.amd.c...SupportHub.aspx
  • Fill in the information about your BootCamped Mac under "Download Drivers"
  • Download & install the suggested catalyst for you.

Example for information required: Mac Graphics > Apple Bootcamp > MacBook Pro > Windows 7 - 32 bit

Let's see if you can even run it stage:

This will tell you if you meet the system requirements.

Note: Ignore the video card information, because it doesn't register the catalyst on this site. As long as your Mac is OS X version 10.5 or greater you should have no problem.

All done. Now that wasn't so bad was it?:

I suggest using DayzCommander.

Please leave any comments or feedback in case I forgot any details. I hope this helps some people.

Purchasing my iMac was the worst computer mistake I've ever made. Dusty and new

I'm playing (and running multiple servers) on a BootCamped 27" iMac. Runs like a champ, and you can't beat the HD screen for game play. I essentially went through the same steps that the OP states, only found them by trial and error.

The only issues I have now are the occasional glitch with using the Mac keyboard and mouse with Windows. I can't switchout due to R/L issues, but I do suggest that anyone using the Mac to play games switch over to a Windows based keyboard and mouse ... at least while actually gaming.

~DB

I'm playing (and running multiple servers) on a BootCamped 27" iMac. Runs like a champ, and you can't beat the HD screen for game play. I essentially went through the same steps that the OP states, only found them by trial and error.

The only issues I have now are the occasional glitch with using the Mac keyboard and mouse with Windows. I can't switchout due to R/L issues, but I do suggest that anyone using the Mac to play games switch over to a Windows based keyboard and mouse ... at least while actually gaming.

~DB

That's one of the main problems I have as well, but after a little bit of fiddling around I got all the keys set to work.

Purchasing my iMac was the worst computer mistake I've ever made. Dusty and new

Macs aren't made for gaming. The only reason I have one is because I got it from school. If I already have it I don't feel like going out and getting a PC unless I have money to buy a really nice gaming desktop (which I'm saving up for). They are great for other things though. I like PC and Mac both for different reasons.

Edited by PygmyJess

Love the moustache avatar, pygmy. Nothing to post of value. Just wanted to throw some love your way since I saw your thread about girls and gaming in general where you took some flak. Keep being awesome.

• Like 1

Love the moustache avatar, pygmy. Nothing to post of value. Just wanted to throw some love your way since I saw your thread about girls and gaming in general where you took some flak. Keep being awesome.

Thanks, I appreciate that :) I changed my avatar so people wouldn't be so serious haha.

Sorry if this counts as bumping, but maybe this should be stickied by the mods? Although I didn't check if they had a guide up already.

Hi before I buy the game i wanted to test out the demo and when i do this the demo never works and also i downloaded the driver catalyst and its sitting on my desktop do i need to do more with the catalyst like set it up or is that it and i tested the game and everything works except the video card should i go ahead and buy it??? please help me.

What kind of fps do you get with your Mac?

I've got a mid 2011 MBP running Windows 7 32 bit, with an AMD 6770M video card and I get about 5-15 fps on the lowest settings.

Edited by Little Friend

Some output from dxdiag:

Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

System Model: MacBookPro8,2

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 2216MB RAM

Page File: 1139MB used, 3292MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 3: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6770M

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x6740)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6740&SUBSYS_00F8106B&REV_00

Display Memory: 1866 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB

Shared Memory: 852 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: Color LCD

Monitor Id: APP9CA4

Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.901Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: aticfx32.dll,aticfx32.dll,aticfx32.dll,atiumdag.dll,atidxx32.dll,atiumdva.cap

Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1063 (English)

Driver Version: 8.812.0.0

DDI Version: 11

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 6/13/2011 18:34:24, 596480 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-2400-11CF-FC77-F220BEC2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x6740

SubSys ID: 0x00F8106B

Revision ID: 0x0000

Driver Strong Name: oem47.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTx86.6.1:ati2mtag_Vancouver:8.812.0.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_6740

Rank Of Driver: 00E62001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C

Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{3C5323C1-6FB7-44F5-9081-056BF2EE449D}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=

D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported

DXVA-HD: Not Supported

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

What kind of fps do you get with your Mac?

I've got a mid 2011 MBP running Windows 7 32 bit, with an AMD 6770M video card and I get about 5-15 fps on the lowest settings.

Are you booting in Windows or running it through VMware or Parallels?

Can you paste a screen shot of your graphics settings?

I'm booting in windows. I'll make a screenshot of my video options later today. You mean my DayZ Video Options, right?

That's correct.

I have the same basic MBP as you, but I have 8GB of RAM and an SSD (work machine) and while I haven't used MSI Afterburner to check the frame rate, but it's perfectly playable in windowed mode (an option in Day Z Commander).

I'm afraid I won't have access to my MBP to confirm settings until the 2nd of Jan.

• Like 1

Thanks man, I appreciate any sort of help.

Here's a link to imgur with screenshots of my Video Options. The 1440x900 resolution is the laptop built-in display. The 1680x1050 resolution is my external monitor. I figured I'd show you both for completeness.

http://imgur.com/xhYWp,2nEth

Btw, I've been using Fraps to check the framerate and do screenshots. Seems legit.

Edited by Little Friend

I figured out my problem, and I'm posting it here in case there are other MacBook Pro users with the AMD 6770M (aka ATI 6770M) video card that have the same issue.

The drivers that the AMD website prompts you to install are way out of date, something like 4 versions behind. Also, do not believe the AMD verification tool--a small .exe that you can run to find out if your hardware is supported. It will tell you that you haven't got an installed adapter. LIES!

Anyway, the solution is to go here and download the recent beta drivers for the Radeon series:

http://forums.guru3d...ad.php?t=371951

Note that at the time of this post it is 2012-12-30, so there may be more stable releases of the drivers by the time you are reading this.

Despite the advice everywhere on the web to completely uninstall your drivers, I decided to install over top of my existing drivers. Worked fine.

One thing I would recommend, although this is not tested, is that when installing choose "Custom". All the options should be selected by default. Then install. The process seemed to take longer, I got the telltale flickering as the drivers were updated (never happened with the "Express" option) and now I'm getting 25-30 fps at Very High settings.

Here's a link to an imgur album with the before and after screenshots (apologies, my before screenshots did not include fps, but it was around 10):

http://imgur.com/a/CUCN5

Update: I'm still getting wicked lag spikes when zombies spawn in, which obviously isn't very good, but I've dialed down my video settings to "normal" and get a pretty consistent 40-50 fps when I'm not spiking. I'll update here if I sort out the spike issue.

Edited by Little Friend

I downloaded the catalyst, does it auto install or is there something i'm missing? Also, if it just requires downloading the file, I still can't run Arma II

The Catalyst Control Center doesn't auto-install. You have to download the installer and run it.

Re: requirements... not sure what you're talking about, unless you mean the verification tool from AMD, in which case ignore it.

Update: I gave up on trying to play DayZ on an MBP. It was too laggy. With all settings on low, I could get a decent 25fps, but I had lag spikes every minute or so that would drop my framerate to 1-5. Unplayable. It also seemed to get lagged when there were too many zombies around. I did some profiling and it seemed like what would happen is that from time to time my GPU would drop to 0% utilization and cause a lag spike as the CPU attempted to compensate.

In related news, I built the "steam box" that jackfrags had a video about not too long ago, and I'm getting 30fps on high settings. The PC cost me $536, not including keyboard, mouse and monitor--all of which I had old ones lying around.