Sign in to follow this  
PorkNBeans (DayZ)

Give Me a Reason To Kill Zeds

In the survival stages of the game it wouldn't really be realistic to go "hunting" Zeds because you are more interested in staying alive then of free the earth of the undead. A later stage of the game (probably something for the standalone) where you have a "mission" of some kind to eradicate Zeds could work well though but it should be kept at arms length from the survival concept of the game.

Also from what I understand there are heaps of really good zombie related games out (sorry I can't be specific but they never really did it for me) that you might want to look at.

No no, a reason to kill zeds is good. Make then drop something besides beans and empty cans!

Not entirely; I killed a zombie yesterday and it gave me a canteen, empty, but stll, what sort of zombie carries around one of those?

I always assumed when I find loot on them it was just stuff they had in their pocket, but most of it got dropped just from them wandering around. You find the occasional bit of ammo on them as well.

Interesting to hear both sides. At first I wanted meaningful rewards for killing Zeds, but those who don't want rewards for killing Zeds have made some good points. Now I'm on the fence with this one.

Edited by PorkNBeans

Perhaps a 0.001% chance to drop some thing really worth killing the 10k zeds needed to realistically have a chance for it to drop?

Perhaps a 0.001% chance to drop some thing really worth killing the 10k zeds needed to realistically have a chance for it to drop?

I agree, give them an ultra rare chance of dropping something good. Soldiers could drop NVG's, doctors antibiotics, priests holy hand grenades etc

Love the idea of extremely rare zombie kill only items, is there any chance that anyone who could actually make something like this happen is reading this thread?

When you have extra ammo to burn, I love killing Z's for the shear pleasure of doing it.

I wish more players would take out their boredom and aggression on Z's instead of other players, and just blast them for the hell of it once and a while.

I do wish it was more rewarding sometimes though... I think a cool looking Zombie Slyaer skin would be awesome, just like we get when we reach Hero or Bandit status.

Edited by cash4gold

I mainly just avoid zeds like the next guy but sometimes, something just cracks inside my head and I go in full rampage mode. Had this happen recently, put 8 AKM clips in my inventory and proceeded to move down every zed that came for me in Zelenogorsk. When there was no more coming I just started shooting in the air until I ran out of bullets. It's good to let of some steam once in a while.

I don't know about you guys but when I log into a server and someone has a few thousand zed kills I am a little impressed.

The point of the game is surviving

Killing Zeds is part of it.

You're like asking a reason to mine diamonds in minecraft:

You simply don't need to

What I would do once I'd sorted out the pathing, animation quirkiness, and ability to hit through walls is make some that can run faster than we can. Then we'd have a reason to shoot them.

I predict the QQ is going to be legendary when they make it so they will run indoors again as well.

We need walkers too. Sure we've got crawlers and the freaky grudge-style monkeys but some plain old walkers would be good. More speed variations!

They drop beans and Pepsi. Once I killed a military zombie with my last M14 bullet, and it had a DMR mag on it. Awesome. Points are for winners. Gives you someplace to put that pile of tin cans and wood so you can hide it and not have a big heap of junk outside the industrial site you're farming for fuel tank parts.

Ever since Resident Evil 2, I've supported the notion that zombie hordes are endless and there's no way to make a serious dent in them, so you just shoot the ones that are directly in your way and get on with the task at hand. I'd like to see the zombies in DayZ able to force fights sometimes. maybe by running faster or by tackling or whatever, but that would be a humongous jump in the game's difficulty, and the community may not be in an emotional place where that sort of thing is tolerable to them.

• Like 1