bahhh

Do we really need helicopters?

Yes, everybody wants helicopters.

But for everyone's gameplay sake.. Do we need those?

Currently land vehicles works perfect for crossing miles and miles of land.

So, we don't really need it as a transport.

Of course it would be super cool, if you see a settlement, and there's a heli landing going for a rescue just like in the movies.

But, that didn't work in here.

When the heli existed, only a few selected people would repair it(super easy to repair..) and keep it to themselves. Only them would get this huge advantage.

And a lot of them would go hunting people, trolling, flying over the coast saying "IM ON A HELI".

I don't know if a helicopter really fits with this DayZ environment...

What's your opinion on this?

I think a legitimate question is "how many survivors would actually have the skills necessary to repair and fly a helo". Even repairing a car would be quite the challenge for the average person. With that in mind, I don't think survivors should be able to use helos.

With the time I have invested in the ARMA 2 armory I can confidently say that I can fly the helo with absolutely no problem, that being said, i'm not gonna put in the effort to repair it.

Yes' date=' everybody wants helicopters.

But for everyone's gameplay sake.. Do we need those?

Currently land vehicles works perfect for crossing miles and miles of land.

So, we don't really need it as a transport.

Of course it would be super cool, if you see a settlement, and there's a heli landing going for a rescue just like in the movies.

But, that didn't work in here.

When the heli existed, only a few selected people would repair it(super easy to repair..) and keep it to themselves. Only them would get this huge advantage.

And a lot of them would go hunting people, trolling, flying over the coast saying "IM ON A HELI".

I don't know if a helicopter really fits with this DayZ environment...

What's your opinion on this?

[/quote']

Yes we need them, theyre the ultimate form of transport as long as they limited to prehaps 3 on a server I dont see the problem. if people are stupid enough to grief with them, theyre eventually going to get shot down probably, rendering the hard work obsolete. I suspect most people who havent played Arma 2 before Day Z will have a hard time flying them in the first place. Theyre quite alot of work to repair as well.

There actually are a lot of groups fully prepared with all the repair parts in the trunk of their cars. They are just waiting for the heli spawn, It's just super easy for them.(also lot of groups are dupers.)

I wasn't speaking in terms of game players (I'm sure most ARMA vets can use just about any vehicle), but rather a random survivor of the zombie apocalypse.

I don't know how many helo pilots there are in the world but if say 5 guys on a server can fly one that would mean approximately 10% of the population were skilled helo pilots. If realism is the goal, some random schlub should not be able to hop into a helicopter and take off.

Yes we need them' date=' theyre the ultimate form of transport as long as they limited to prehaps 3 on a server I dont see the problem. if people are stupid enough to grief with them, theyre eventually going to get shot down probably, rendering the hard work obsolete. I suspect most people who havent played Arma 2 before Day Z will have a hard time flying them in the first place. Theyre quite alot of work to repair as well.

[/quote']

I agree with you the most part, but aren't 3 helicoptors too much?

One helicopter would be suffice as long as they respawn after destroyed.

I think a legitimate question is "how many survivors would actually have the skills necessary to repair and fly a helo". Even repairing a car would be quite the challenge for the average person. With that in mind' date=' I don't think survivors should be able to use helos.

[/quote']

Well would make more sense if they had a type of "what my job was before the outbreak" system at character creation. Best example of this is Project Zomboid, you can pick stuff like, construction worker, police officer etc and they all play basically the same but due to thier jobs before the outbreak some are better are doing certain things than others, construction worker for example can build barricades faster. Would be interesting to have something like that in Day Z as long as it fit into the system already in place. Prehaps one player could have been a mechanic or a nurse/doctor. Giving them an upperhand when performing things relevent to their background, just a thought.

They are quite usefull... they are great for picking up respawners from the coast when needed and ive seen groups do rescue missions with them...

Ive also shot at them... I was surrounded in green mountain with bandits in the woodline and Zs surrounding the tower and bleeding, no food and no water... was a tough sichtuation.. when I heard a Heli buzz near by... my heart raced! I had hope! I raise them on the chat.. and they asked what my emergency was... I told them.. they buzzed the tower and said they could not support it I was on my own.... my heart stopped... so close yet now so far.. anger envelopped and I in vain unloaded a mag at them... then sat down to die and watch the sunset as the Zombies roared and clawed and screamed below... I raised my middle finger to the woodline at the bandits and closed my eyes I may be leaving this forsaken peace but at least It would be in a last few minutes of peace. <-- gotta add a lil flair to a story :)

I didn't want to quote your entire post Yammazul but I like your ideas. I think it would be interesting if it were randomly assigned when you create a character or everyone would choose "special forces soldier". This would give players a motivation to link up. If a group wanted to get a car running, they could try to do it themselves or find a mechanic and convince him or her to help them and greatly speed up the process.

Uh yeah, why would you say no to adding helicopters. (I only read the subject)

To be serious I think its cool because other people gang up then to take'em down. :D

I don't know about you, but I'd rather see things added to my sandbox. There's really no reason to remove them.

Yeah, but some things shouldn't be added.

That's why the devs didn't put a jet here.

Thanks for the opinions though, i'm starting to change my thinking to 'why not? we could have a heli'

but, i still don't know if there should be 3 of them each server.

One heli would be fine.

No, we need helicopters AND planes!

Just the An-2 Colt though. No VTOL's or fighter jets or bombers. Can land in a field, fly slow, and can't destroy all of Cherno.

I think helis verry nice but too easy to get.

What about Tanks???? :rolleyes:

I`m draming about an light tank with 20mm canon...... drive in to a town, kill al Zeds with big fire and get in buildings after that, cash the loot and go out.

of cause should it be very hard to repair and find one!

I didn't want to quote your entire post Yammazul but I like your ideas. I think it would be interesting if it were randomly assigned when you create a character or everyone would choose "special forces soldier". This would give players a motivation to link up. If a group wanted to get a car running' date=' they could try to do it themselves or find a mechanic and convince him or her to help them and greatly speed up the process.

[/quote']

If it is totally random, when your team actually found a helicopter, the least competent of your group would probably have been selected pilot. So to someone like me who is ou teams pilot, it would be stupidly frustrating.

Its a good goal for groups to try an obtain a helo. It's a status symbol, its really useful and its friggin cool!

Only problem is the unfixable fueltank leak issue, our group is afraid to use our chopper for fear of this... Also people fall out randomly during desyncs...

With the time I have invested in the ARMA 2 armory I can confidently say that I can fly the helo with absolutely no problem' date=' that being said, i'm not gonna put in the effort to repair it.

[/quote']

Oh i can fly a helo not problem, do the 180 sharp bank but when it comes to landing damn.. you gotta be ricky tick on controling the speed you hit the ground.

Its a good goal for groups to try an obtain a helo. It's a status symbol' date=' its really useful and its friggin cool!

Only problem is the unfixable fueltank leak issue, our group is afraid to use our chopper for fear of this... Also people fall out randomly during desyncs...

[/quote']

Yup we've repaired 3 helo's so far and all 3 had the refuelling bug, no matter how much fuel you put in it just dissapears into thin air. Very annoying.

And @ OP yes helo's are needed and SHOULD NOT BE REMOVED!

I think they should only have transportation choppers. Chopper with a mounted mingun is a bit overpowered IMO.

Watched "stakeland" last night.

Bad guys drop "vamps" from helicopter into lockdown towns = havoc and chaos.