WakeUpDeadMan

Battle Eye Bans 2000Cheaters

Ah, yet another success. I love when people run out of things to say in the face of logic and reason.

Your "flawless logic and reason" is nothing but your own subjective opinion....You think it's fair that those people get banned, he doesn't. Is it fair that innocent people get banned for being careless? No, it isn't imo... not everybody has the knowledge (or time to acquire said knowledge) and understanding of how the internet works to distinguish between a phishing site and the real deal for example. Having said that... should those cd-keys that were used for hacking be banned? Absolutely... why? Because there is no economically acceptable way to prove it wasn't the owner himself ... not with Arma2 anyways.

Can't people just randomly generate a CD keys and end up stumbling upon yours or another that does exist and end up using it?

It's possible but not very likely or at least not very common... you'd need a considerably big sample group of cd-keys to find the right algorithm... and of those billions of possible cd-keys you'd have to find those that were activated/bought. At least that's my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong.

[edit] pretty much what venthos said

Edited by hard2burn

Uh... that's kind of what a phishing website is. Some random website. That's kind of how they operate. They compromise random hosting accounts of random people around the world and host the fraudulent stuff on their account. By definition that is random. Are you really going to try and play a semantics card here?

He already admitted to downloading installer files from a random YouTube video. Links that were to... you guessed it, a random website. No, he wasn't trying to cheat. Yes, he still deserves to be banned. As I said already earlier in this thread, careless people who aren't trying to cheat deserve to be banned just as much as people who are actually cheating. The careless people are fueling the cheaters with cheap CD keys so they can continue to hack again on the cheap in spite of global bans. I'm not sure why you're making me re-state my stance on this every reply like you've forgotten what it is.

The careless guy <

Still no mail from battleye if I even get one since how there support works I was quite shocked they won't give you a mail saying what and how if someone was "careless". Maybe I was stupid maybe I'm really am but that must be the first time ever in my 10 years of pc gaming. I never EVER got hacked or got accounts/cd keys stolen, I never open phishy e-mail's or register on phishy websites. Anyway again this was my own fault if it really result in my cd key stolen but your saying basicly saying "customer made an mistake going to site B, customer lost everything, they deserved it" I'm sorry never in my gaming history I have seen an company saying that, even Blizzard which I dislike a lot atm attempts too get people their accounts back.

Well anyway I'm not going too beg to unban me if battleye says I won't be unbanned, but just because I searched a way where I can play alone or with my sister since I don't like PvP, even though some people have a hard time too respect other play styles. Well anyway for me there is nothing too discuss and again it's my own faulth, but I can sure say I hope you never setup a store because you won't attract a lot of customers with that philosophy.

Your "flawless logic and reason" is nothing but your own subjective opinion....

I never said "flawless", but thank you ;) The main point of contention was whether people were being careless or not. That is what he was having trouble arguing against in the face of logic and reason. Absolutely my opinion on whether or not the bans should stand is just that, an opinion. You yourself have even stated those folks are careless, so you agree with me on the point of contention that we were discussing.

Right here:

Is it fair that innocent people get banned for being careless?

But, I would argue that "innocent" and "careless" are mutually exclusive. You can't be innocent if you are careless. Careless implies that you simply do not care to be bothered with the time it would take to investigate/verify something. You pursue something negligently and without regard. To me, this means you can't be innocent and careless.

But, I can't see a fruitful argument coming forth from this because at this point I think "careless" deserving a ban or not is just going to be a debate of semantics on what being "careless" implies. When it comes down to it, you feel the punishment for falling for a trojan download is too high. I feel it's fitting. Both are opinions like you say. Fortunately for me, BiS is acting in a way I feel is preferable (regardless what the reasons behind it are, which could be economical like you say).

Edited by Venthos

I agree Venthos... I mean there are still people who think google is the internet, and turning on their windows firewall will protect their box from all evil. Are they being careless? Probably.. maybe not. But they definitely are clueless.

(more) Ontopic: I lol'ed when I got that message ingame because of what it implies that they had to specifically point out that "this time they got the _real_ hackers". Especially when you read this on their homepage "No one is banned for using non-hack programs (..). Therefore all requests mentioning these things as possible reasons for the global ban are ignored."

Hello there

More to the point has anyone noticed a decrease of scripters since said ban?

Rgds

LoK

I have seen less hackers over the past couple of weeks.

Jesus...a pin couldn't drop without you folks arguing about it...

-

Anyway, another victory for Battleye. Keep going.

If they get your key, you almost certainly downloaded corrupted cheats and had it stolen that way.

So yeah, you deserve a ban.

I'm a computer tech and it takes me 20 seconds from the lobby to download all 49 GUIDs using nothing more than 2 simple programs,I obviously don't do this since I don't cheat and to ensure other's don't cheat I play on a private hive where admins actively ban script kiddies and dupers.

Gave up playing on the official servers long time ago and I advise you to do the same.

Edit: if anyone from BATTLEYE staff wants to know how it's done PM me.

Edited by TORnet

I'm a computer tech and it takes me 20 seconds from the lobby to download all 49 GUIDs using nothing more than 2 simple programs,

*facepalm* *sigh*. Why do these threads attract the computer illiterate? Didn't we JUST go over how having someone's GUID is useless in terms of obtaining their CD key?

Want more GUIDs?

http://code.google.com/p/dayz-community-banlist/source/browse/bans/bans.txt

Bam. Tons!

They're not all globally banned and not all servers use the CBL. Guess what, you still can't do anything with them.

Reading the GUIDs out of program memory from the player list doesn't mean anything special. Having a GUID of a player doesn't give you any benefit other than being able to issue a ban against them on your server.

I agree Venthos... I mean there are still people who think google is the internet, and turning on their windows firewall will protect their box from all evil. Are they being careless? Probably.. maybe not. But they definitely are clueless.

Didn't even FBI got hacked once even if it was something small ? I think these days anything can be done by hackers since they starting too get better in doing it. I find this statement of "your own fault, you don't get your product back" really dumb. Like I said earlier never in my life I got hacked, banned or cd keys stolen and this is the first time in 10 years when I starting too PC gaming I got banned from something and maybe even hacked if battleye can at least fill their "customers" in what the reason was. Cheaters hackers etc should be banned but people who play by the rules and got their cd keys stolen should not be banned from their product and getting the only option of "buy a new one".

It's like going too the store and buying and video camera with a warranty and all you did was open the box and it doesn't work because apparently someone else dropped it in the store, does NOT make sense.

Edited by JeroenXP

If a careless person suffers a negative consequence for their actions, they will probably be more careful in future.

It's like going too the store and buying and video camera with a warranty and all you did was open the box and it doesn't work because apparently someone else dropped it in the store, does NOT make sense.

Incorrect. That would be the complaint from the people buying the stolen cd keys. But it wouldn't be a store in that analogy, it'd be a back alley shady guy they bought it from. But then they'd complain to the store they didn't buy it from that the video camera broke in a day.

The analogy you want is buying a video camera from a store (Buying ARMA2 CO), then some days later wanting to look for a battery (Lingor Island) for it. Instead of going to the store (the author's website), you wander the streets (Google/Youtube) until someone says "oh I work for that store I can help." (a "installer" video with random links). They then steal the camera from you and break it when you give it them (you download a trojan). Then, going back to the real store and saying "This is bullshit, my video camera is broken (cd key stolen/banned) i need a new one!" I shouldn't have to buy another one.

I admit it's hard to work a "video camera purchase" analogy to a phishing analogy, but I tried to make it work. I think my point gets across ;)

I disagree. The stupid ones or careless ones or just innocent ones loose their CDkey,

They are not innocent, They were searching out h@cks and got bitten.

I'm glad the fake hacks are there on Youtube, shuts these pricks down before they get a chance to spoil the game.

Same goes for the idiots who buy cheap keys, they know damn well they are not legit, so if they get ripped off.... GOOD!

2000 players banned wouldn't even be scratching the surface. This game is the most hacked game ever.

I never said "flawless", but thank you ;) The main point of contention was whether people were being careless or not. That is what he was having trouble arguing against in the face of logic and reason. Absolutely my opinion on whether or not the bans should stand is just that, an opinion. You yourself have even stated those folks are careless, so you agree with me on the point of contention that we were discussing.

Right here:

But, I would argue that "innocent" and "careless" are mutually exclusive. You can't be innocent if you are careless. Careless implies that you simply do not care to be bothered with the time it would take to investigate/verify something. You pursue something negligently and without regard. To me, this means you can't be innocent and careless.

But, I can't see a fruitful argument coming forth from this because at this point I think "careless" deserving a ban or not is just going to be a debate of semantics on what being "careless" implies. When it comes down to it, you feel the punishment for falling for a trojan download is too high. I feel it's fitting. Both are opinions like you say. Fortunately for me, BiS is acting in a way I feel is preferable (regardless what the reasons behind it are, which could be economical like you say).

I get so tired of seeing this "they just didnt know, its not their fault" bullshit.

Look at this way, we expect every person who drives a car to have a license right? To obtain said license they must prove that they understand the rule of operating a motor vehicle and the rules for operating that vehicle on the public road. We want to be sure that every person operating a vehicle has this understanding so they do not unintentionally kill someone in another vehicle or a pedestrian.

Would you forgive someone who is driving a vehicle unlicensed when they hit someone because "they didnt know" how to operate the vehicle and follow the rules of driving on public roads?

The same logic applies to computers, if you dont know how to operate a computer safely and securely you have no business on the internet.

Its not like we are talking rocket science here either....

Edited by jackcrow

Heya dayz peoples whaaaaats uuup?

I think that BULLSHIT outta theeere is nothing more than - CRYING of HAAACKERS who GOT BAAAANNNNNEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111

The point is it's not "from some random website" but a phishing one.

Anyway.

Ow, what should we say to the guy that downloaded a package to play offline and got his CD-key stolen ? Was he trying to cheat too ?

Mhh too stupid too so he should be banned too ?

Seriously, what part of box, string, stick and carrot do you NOT get.

In any circumstance, if you are too dumb to protect yourself from cd key thieves then you are gonna get what is coming.

A bit like keeping the dew in your back pack.

How would that compromise your key?

You install dodgy software, with the intention of cheating, and get your key stolen. Yeah, you deserve it.

Not always true,

Had a friend who we talked in to buying it. He bought the non-steam one from bistudio and the first time he ran the game (20mins) later he was given the "CD Key in Use" message. Sad, but true. For those cases I suspect either someone hacked the original cd key list or someone on the inside is selling them.