Sign in to follow this  
daedrick

@Rocket; Does it really have to be zombies?

Hello everybody, and I know I will get flamed for saying that, but does it really have to be zombies?

Now, you may be wondering why Im saying that, or why Im here at all. Hell, I love zombies, I have almost every zombies games there is on the market right now, well all the decent ones at least. I love zombies movies and I love DAYZ, it isn't that big of a deal that its zombies we are fighting in dayz but hear me out.

For older gamers out there, you remember when every video games developers made world war ll shooters and games in general? Do you remember how we all got completly burned off world war ll video games... I know I did, and I know developers noticed the drop in popularity as well because now they are barely any recent world war ll video games. Red orchestra and company of heroes, are the only two really noticable games...

Well, the exact same thing is happenning with zombies! We didn't get any zombie games since forever and now we are drowning in zombies games. Every body and their mothers are making zombie games...

Desura? zombies...

kickstarter? Zombie games!

Steam green light? ZOMBIE GAMES!

In development? MOAR ZOMBIES!

Sequels? Dead island 2, dead rising 3, resident evil 15?!?!?!

Freaking zombies everywhere while all the other kind of monsters are left in their coffins. Im not asking rocket here to throw vampires instead of zombies, of course not. Even tough we haven't got a single vampire game in forever... hell we only got ONE single decent vampire video game and it was Vampire the masquerade(Get it now on steam, really). But anyway, can we get anything else other than zombies?

The point of DAYZ is not the zombies, its surviving in a post apocalyptic world populated with bloody monster out there to get you, in this case, zombies.

But why zombies? Isn't there any other options? Would it possible for something entirely different but still plausible and realistic? Im hoping as hell.

Im begging you Rocket, Im sure you can come up with something better than that. Something with more potential than zombies while still retaining the essence of the game.

Anyway, that being said, I dont have any hope for change. Im realistic. But still, I would LOVE to know what you guys think about that, and more specificaly, what rocket thinks about that. I also want to hear from the developers and moderators if you guys care.

Thanks for reading... LET THE FIRE OF HELL DESCEND UPON ME! Flame on.

• Like 2

It doesn't have to be zombies, it's simply zombies because they are awesome.

• Like 5

VAMPIRES? Really???? The zombies in this game aren't zombies; they're infected. But vampires? Not plausible at all!

And still you haven't made a single suggestion.

You want warewolves, dinosaurs, Orcs, Trolls, tooth-fairys, what?

Just because YOU are fed up with zombies doesn't mean the rest of us are.

• Like 1

Why? What do zombies have that make them so great? In this case they are infected inspired from my favorite zombie movie 28 days later(suck it old folks). They barely pose any threat, they are running morons without weapons.

What if we were surviving in Stephen king's ''the mist'' world instead? Hellish creatures completly unknown from the human kind with terrifying abilities in a thick fog. Creatures that are so big that only military grade vehicules could kill. Creatures that can smell you from a mile while you can't barely see where you are going. Horrific tentacules tearing up your squad, spliting them in half. Poisonus flies that swarm light sources. Giant spiders that fill corpses with their eggs and throw acid webs.

Now, wouldn't that make surviving more interresting? Wouldn't that kind of monster be more interresting than simple zombies? I think yes.

Cmon, tell me why zombies are that great? Tell me why its such a good idea to do just like the rest. Sto being sheeps and see beyond your nose. DAYZ have been original about the gameplay, ultra realistic simulation in a zombie apocalypse setting, now what about it is a little more original about the rest?

Uh, no.

If anything, I'd like to see the zombies in DayZ get more zombie-ish. I can't wait to see what they do with the zombies in the standalone.

Couldn't agree more. They need to be proper undead...decaying things. Limbs missing etc etc. They need to properly scare the hell out of you.

As improved as the zombie behaviour is etc, they are still a mere hindrance.

I know Rocket is apprently using the code that is used for animals or something for the zombies, he is essentially making the ArmA2 engine do stuff it was never designed to do.

I hope in standalone you fear the zombies as much as other players. And i mean fear them...truly fear them and get paramoid etc etc. As much as you do when you see another survivor/bandit/hero.

More of them by far too. Hopefully a more efficient engine will allow for a lot more of them

Edited by GeordieMarv
  • Like 3

Rocket said he wont go for the slow unrealistic undead and I totally agree with him on that part. You are asking for slow zombies and expecting to fear them more than fast zombies? Even if your character have stamina, slow zombies are a joke. I could scavenge a whole town alone without firing a shot if I went agains't slow zombies, no matter how many there are.

Humanity would NEVER fall to slow zombies, undead or not. It would be a one sided war. Dont believe the shit max brooks write, we are not as dumb as he make us seems to be especialy at what we do best, destroy and kill.

Why change it now? It's already set in motion as a product. I would be challenging developers for new games (especially on the steam greenlight project) to think of something different. Because between slender games and zombies, there isn't much else on there.

Edited by Caz

I think I like the zombies best for now. Improvement needed? Yes. Complete change of monster? Nah...

Headshots being the only thing to kill would be nice. Definitely make me avoid aggros more.

Why change it now? It's already set in motion as a product. I would be challenging developers for new games (especially on the steam greenlight project) to think of something different. Because between slender games and zombies, there isn't much else on there.

Wow, if rocket ever read that post, he will certainly grind his teeth because I am positively doing it right now. I hope you are player and not a developer and dont ever want to be one with that mind frame. Now, because something is challenging and new we shouldn't go for it. If thats the case, then DAYZ would never have existed, because, before now it was exactly that.

Before; Developers loved games and made money.

Now: Developers love money and make games.

Personally I'm loving the new zombie trend. I'm 28 and have loved zombies ever since I saw the original Night of the Living Dead, I think I was 14. Maybe one day I will be sick of zombies but considering I've waited 12 years or so for zombies to be main stream I'm gonna soak it all up while I can. So I say give me zombies, shove them down my throat until I'm sick!

• Like 1

You should totally go post this on the War Z forums.

Ahahha, no, these guys are hopeless, they truly dont understand the essence of video games. I will be very surprised if suddently they make something that doesn't smell like garbage.

The point of DAYZ is not the zombies, its surviving in a post apocalyptic world populated with bloody monster out there to get you, in this case, zombies.

I disagree--I think the point of DayZ is surviving in a post apocalyptic world where the survivors are out to get you. More enemy variety would be nice, but they could replace the zombies with rabid unicorns and it wouldn't matter to me; the PvP is what really makes me love DayZ. I understand that some players are more interested in the PvE side of the game though than I am, though, so maybe the game would be more fun for them with more enemy variety.

The only reason we kill each other so much is because zombies are just an annoyance and nothing else. Now, take the monsters I described in my second post, Im pretty sure people would team up a lot more while bandits and murderers would still be there.

But yeah, I see where you are going with that, and I agree, but still, my point remain, does it have to be zombies?

Edited by daedrick

I have a heavy PvE play style but knowing I could be shot by some bandit, or even just some paranoid guy thats scared is what makes this game so awesome. I don't mind the lack of variety in enimies. Sure Zeds are easy to loose if you're playing on servers with only 2 people on em. But when your playing in a populated server the last thing you want is trail of 5 Zeds letting everyone know where you are. It would nice if the Zeds were harder, it would probaably promote a little more cooperation

• Like 1

Why the zeds/infected ? Why not big flying spiders with legs that drop off and acid that gushes from their ass and burns you ?

Because the infected are as close to us as anything. They were us. And now they are a shell, but with ties to what they were , they still look human, possibly have some human thoughts and traits but they are all fucked up. What if you recognised a mate or a family member ? To me that is worse than some made up boogie monster with ten eyes and fur and shit. Hey i love the King and read all of his shit when i was a teenager through the 80's, fucking great stuff. But what came across the scariest/creepiest in his books was boosk like Pet Sematary or The Shining. When it was people that were the monsters. Thats the worst shit of all.

I am no zombie freak and have not been done to death by the games, because this is the only game i have that has zeds in it :) Loved 28 days/weeks and a few other z movies but i dont go out of my way to get a movie or book just because it has zeds in it. I definitely wont go shell out any cash for a game with flying spiders or creatures like Kings mist though :) But thats just me.

• Like 2

Addon..no matter if a hundred different types of monsters were added or the infected were changed. At the beginning it is always a bit of a challenge/different/scary..whatever, once you get used to how they work it always ends up being a walk in the park. You find your way around the game and the other people end up being the challenge.

After reading the first post. My reply is no. And this game isn't just zombies - there are people who play as murdering bandits that you have to worry about.

If someone would make a game like this with H.R. Geiger aliens and or Predators, ie enemies that are suprememly efficient and scary killing machines, then there could exist some pve to balance out the pvp. Maybe someone can make a mod of the standalone...

But maybe the infected will be something to be feared in the standalone...