Sign in to follow this  
Daimyo21 (DayZ)

A more Guaranteed Downed System + compass/map on spawn

First off, quick thing about me: I only play Hardcore servers, I prefer immense challenge in any game which is fun for me. However, I truly believe in the balance of Gameplay versus Realism, but not to any EXTREME.

EDIT(Thought of a great fucking idea!)

Downed System:

Fuck everything I said before in terms of my argument towards insuring a almost guaranteed down system.

Now there is a real reason for this system other than the fact that you have a better chance to be rescued, but now THIS:

Firstly: Im not saying lets make a L4D system (that game was horrid). Im saying based on the wound, the amount of time itll take to bleed out. A headshot will almost always be instant death and or a seconds to 5 min revival period.

You come upon a stranger and shoot him, you know for a fact he will be in a wounded state where he can no longer do anything. While he is down, you can now disarm him, rob him, finish him off.

While he is down he can only talk in direct channel. You can now capture this man, kill him, let him go, bind his hands(to disable him from picking up weapons, unless he finds a knife which makes a cutting noise if used) etc etc.

This will open the door to possibilities of the missing social aspect of the game.

On compass/map given on first spawn (or one-time use compass):

Why?

Well first off, a map is simply on the internet already.. It consists of alt-tabbing to get to it and this is impractical.

Compass can be made with some water, leaf, and pin needle or something similar. Maybe he needs to add a feature where u can make a one time compass that degrades after u start moving again. OR simply just give players a compass to reduce the frustration level of navigation and finding group members/ways around area.

For the sake of gameplay. NO

This isnt a console game. Why do you think there are so many people here loving this mod?

Its not because its easy i can tell you that.

IF

It took alot longer for you to die and you spawned with a map, compass etc you wouldnt get the same feeling when going into a gun fight. You wouldnt be worried, especially if there was say 5 of you. You heart rate wouldnt increase, there wouldnt be the same sense of loss or worry all the things that go through you mind. It wouldnt be the same experiance at all.

I sincerly hope the game doesnt get numbed down at all or made easier for the 'masses' . But i fear the more people that play this mod will cry out for it be made easier, everyday there are more and more whine threads and surgestions to make the game easier.

For the sake of Gameplay i strongly diss agree with any of your surgestions and also id like to see a screenshot of your water, leaf and pin needle compass and also how long it took you to make. I bet it would take longer than finding your friend once he respawned.

This is a terrible idea, Rocket clearly wants the game to focus more on realism than gameplay. If we had it so it was hard for you to get killed, it would literally just be an average first person shooter game but on a big map. Also, it's very easy to know where you're going even if you don't have a compass/map. Memorize a map, or travel around a lot. If you can't tell what direction you're going by looking at the sun, or even at night the stars, then you're not very good at navigating.

This would make it so ridiculously hard to win a fight, and would give power back to the zergs again, who can just keep popping each other back to life. (the natural anti-zerg nature of the game is a huge draw for sandbox PvP fans)

I'm sorry but getting tossed out to the coast is part of dying. It's a necessary part of the game in order for players to not permanently be caught in a stalemate with another group.

Re: compass+map, I take it you have no second monitor. What I do is check the path I'm going to take and memorize things like # of hills, roads, landmarks, etc. Having to find a compass + map isn't central to the game, but a lot of people think it gives a more genuine "lost" experience at the beginning. Maybe it can be frustrating once the novelty's worn off and you just want to meet up with friends, but that's what a full loot game is about. Alt+tabbing to see a map is not difficult.

For the sake of gameplay. NO

This isnt a console game. Why do you think there are so many people here loving this mod?

Its not because its easy i can tell you that.

IF

It took alot longer for you to die and you spawned with a map' date=' compass etc you wouldnt get the same feeling when going into a gun fight. You wouldnt be worried, especially if there was say 5 of you. You heart rate wouldnt increase, there wouldnt be the same sense of loss or worry all the things that go through you mind. It wouldnt be the same experiance at all.

I sincerly hope the game doesnt get numbed down at all or made easier for the 'masses' . But i fear the more people that play this mod will cry out for it be made easier, everyday there are more and more whine threads and surgestions to make the game easier.

For the sake of Gameplay i strongly diss agree with any of your surgestions and also id like to see a screenshot of your water, leaf and pin needle compass and also how long it took you to make. I bet it would take longer than finding your friend once he respawned.

[/quote']

Ive been playing Arma back when it was Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis published by Codemasters when consoles didnt even have multiplayer capabilities. Please PLEASE dont lecture me on turning Arma into a console game. I can name a thousand things that are so unrealistic about Arma and DayZ that are in FAVOR of gameplay that it would make your head spin so PLEASE, dont tell me that Rocket wants this game to be the almighty hardcore game where we must take shits, wipe our ass, and then get malaria.

As a side note: Codemasters already tried this with Xbox 1, it failed massively because you simply cannot put a game like OFP on console and expect it to perform equal to a PC. Let alone get a playerbase of console gamers that would actually play it. I liked the attempt, but Arma is meant for PC.

This is a terrible idea' date=' Rocket clearly wants the game to focus more on realism than gameplay. If we had it so it was hard for you to get killed, it would literally just be an average first person shooter game but on a big map. Also, it's very easy to know where you're going even if you don't have a compass/map. Memorize a map, or travel around a lot. If you can't tell what direction you're going by looking at the sun, or even at night the stars, then you're not very good at navigating.

[/quote']

Were not talking about consequence being reduced. If your down, your down.. Your going to die..

Heres a great idea that I will add to main post:

This downed state now allows players who are down to talk while in a downed state. Enemies who kill you can now disarm you, take your weapons away and revive you and do whatever they please with you ETC. This will take away the excuse of killing for items etc.. Of course a logout system that allows players to see if your logging out would be nice too, then if you attempt to logout, you would be shot or whatever your captors feel like doing.

While I'm glad we're getting ideas out there, having a downed system seems to add complication to a situation that doesn't need it. Most of the people I've seen shooting others don't even stop to loot their body unless it has a better gun/pack. Most of them don't even use the excuse that they did it for food, they just did it cause they could, cause they hope it will piss you off, or cause someone else did it to them. Now instead of just taking your stuff and your progress, they get to take your time too, they'll just leave you in your downed state, make you play gimped for a while. This wouldn't really fix the social situation, it would more than likely turn into an even better way to grief others. So I'd say this would be a rather bad idea, but it's good that you threw it out there, more people need to be doing this.

Starting with a map: Maybe, like you and others said, there's maps everywhere online, and you can only be so immersed when you're Alt tabbing, or keeping a second monitor up with it. But I'd be completely against starting with a compass. I have friends who still have no idea which way is north even when I give them a map... even when I tell them the coast is south and they can SEE the coast. So, map, maybe, but compass, no way. Some people need the compass to have any grip on their bearings.

It's already horribly easy to navigate without a compass using the out-of-game map.

Pro-Tips:

1.) If you spawn on the south coast (Kamenka - Krutoy Cap), you can head East by having the ocean on your right side. Reverse for West.

2.) If you spawn on the east coast (Solnichniy - Factory), you can head North by having the ocean on your right side. Reverse for South.

3.) The clouds always move East.

4a.) The Sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

4b.) If you have a watch, find out what time it is, then look for the sun. If it's before 12pm, it'll be on the Eastern side of the sky. If it's past 12pm, it'll be on the Western side of the sky.

Theres nothing good about any of the OP ideas... No offence but no thank you to everything you said.

And no... allowing you to bind and kidnap another player against his will so you can pretend to tortue or whatever your sick fantasy is, is not going to happen.

And did you say a Headshot should take seconds to 5minutes to respawn? how about they just die like they do now...

Theres a insain amount of ways already in game to use to navigate as already listed, from the sun to the stars to the clouds... a home made compass is not needed.

While I'm glad we're getting ideas out there' date=' having a downed system seems to add complication to a situation that doesn't need it. Most of the people I've seen shooting others don't even stop to loot their body unless it has a better gun/pack. Most of them don't even use the excuse that they did it for food, they just did it cause they could, cause they hope it will piss you off, or cause someone else did it to them. Now instead of just taking your stuff and your progress, they get to take your time too, they'll just leave you in your downed state, make you play gimped for a while. This wouldn't really fix the social situation, it would more than likely turn into an even better way to grief others. So I'd say this would be a rather bad idea, but it's good that you threw it out there, more people need to be doing this.

Starting with a map: Maybe, like you and others said, there's maps everywhere online, and you can only be so immersed when you're Alt tabbing, or keeping a second monitor up with it. But I'd be completely against starting with a compass. I have friends who still have no idea which way is north even when I give them a map... even when I tell them the coast is south and they can SEE the coast. So, map, maybe, but compass, no way. Some people need the compass to have any grip on their bearings.

[/quote']

I played Darkfall from closed beta on, so I know griefing and trolling to the max, trust me, this post isnt about that and Rocket is waaay to smart to add features without an opt-out key. Binding hands would not restrict the player in anyway, just being able to pick up weapons until he finds a knife/hatchet/etc. As for a downed state, you could opt-out by choosing the ability to die, but not abort. If you abort, you die. If you get disconnected, then hopefully theres a way to distinguish the two.

It's already horribly easy to navigate without a compass using the out-of-game map.

Pro-Tips:

1.) If you spawn on the south coast (Kamenka - Krutoy Cap)' date=' you can head East by having the ocean on your right side. Reverse for West.

2.) If you spawn on the east coast (Solnichniy - Factory), you can head North by having the ocean on your right side. Reverse for South.

3.) The clouds always move East.

4a.) The Sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

4b.) If you have a watch, find out what time it is, then look for the sun. If it's before 12pm, it'll be on the Eastern side of the sky. If it's past 12pm, it'll be on the Western side of the sky.

[/quote']

I agree and use many of those "pro - tips". And i in fact dont mind if the compass idea is left out. Bicycles will be added soon, probably more motorcycles/vehicles as well, so traveling faster will make up for getting lost.

Theres nothing good about any of the OP ideas... No offence but no thank you to everything you said.

And no... allowing you to bind and kidnap another player against his will so you can pretend to tortue or whatever your sick fantasy is' date=' is not going to happen.

And did you say a Headshot should take seconds to 5minutes to respawn? how about they just die like they do now...

Theres a insain amount of ways already in game to use to navigate as already listed, from the sun to the stars to the clouds... a home made compass is not needed.

[/quote']

Police, swat, military bind suspects/prisoners hands all the time to subdue them so they are no longer a threat. Im not talking about tying people up, its simply to add the ability to make it so players cannot pick up weapons until they find a knife, hatchet, tin can etc. At any point in time they can make the choice to sprint and run away when their captors are occupied. It opens the door for much more gameplay. Hell if your already a prisoner, you still have a chance to get away with whatever stuff you have left on you. No one is forcing you to be a prisoner, you can press the suicide button at any time.

LOGGING OFF IN FUTURE WILL REQUIRE SOME SORT OF SIT ANIMATION AND A 30 second to 1 min + timer im sure.