Special K (DayZ)

DayZ standalone; more zombies?

Okay, so. I was thinking about this the other day and after Rocket said he wanted the terror level for the standalone to be increased, how about (In all major cities) like Cherno and Electro the zombie count is increased. By increase I mean, barely seeing the end of the main street because the road is just packed with zombies. A bit like in the first season of 'The Walking Dead' where Rick goes into Atlanta.

That means players would actually fear zombies, rather than just players. Players would avoid cities until they get good enough gear and the only reason they go into the city could be improved, unique gear found in the buildings in all major cities. Just a suggestion that I think would be a nice. It'd be a bit of a scare running around the corner into the middle of a massive group of zombies.

Anyway, that's my suggestion. Hope this is included. The info that I have heard about it already has me excited.

Let me know what you guys think.

• Like 2

I was sure more zombies were going to be added from an interview (no source) and especially in cities. And yes more zombies, more and more. We don't need smokers, boombers or biological impossbilities but maybe a stronger sub type of zombie would be good too. If dogs are getting added why not zombie dogs?

Also, until zombies and or the sprinting are tweaked so they might actually catch up too you or they are able to run inside buildings i would not fear being chased by any number of zombies

Edited by Trizzo

The problem isn't the # of zombies.

The problem is the lack of AI, difficulty, and predictability of the zombies.

I might be sucky player but I tend to die zombies recently.

They often knock me out with 1 hit, then eat me alive.

Or my friend accidentaly bails out of moving vehicle and breaks his leg, I hastily apply morphine to him and zombies manage to kill me just when I finish mending him.

Or when there is a shoot out that drawns a lot of zombies, they tend to make situation harder since you have to deal both with enemy player as well as constantly spawning zombies...that can one shot you to coma as well...

Anyway I believe we will get more zombies for standalone since Rocket himself said that standalone will be far less demanding on computing powers of our CPU's hence servers might host around 100 players and I bet that we will see more zombies in the same spawn wave as well.

resume: there is quite many situations when zombies are threat even when some players keep saying they are completely harmless

What also will be cool is if a player dies and the zombies munch em after like 10 to fifteen minutes of zombs eating only like a skeleton or carcass gets left behind but the backpack and guns will still be there?

I totally agree with you any noob can go into cherno and shoot the lee enfield some times but he can easily dodge the zombies by climbing the stairs. The ideal here would be to improve the zombie AI and the number of zombies spawned in cities/airfields.

zombies to me aren't scary they are just an annoying inconvenience....... they should not be able to walk through walls and structures like they do, should be able to attack you when they catch you without stopping first and falling behind pace, should be able to run indoors, should be more of them and should be able to bite you for more damage, and also (this one enrages me somewhat) ZOMBIES SHOULD BE TOO STUPID TO ZIGZAG YOU CROSSHAIR AVOIDING BULLETS! they should be easy to take down if you get a headshot, but difficulty balanced within all the other aspects to make them more dangerous. at the moment they are just bugged out soldiers with only a melee attack that are textured to look like zombies and make horrible noises

• Like 1

What also will be cool is if a player dies and the zombies munch em after like 10 to fifteen minutes of zombs eating only like a skeleton or carcass gets left behind but the backpack and guns will still be there?

First of all i also want there to be more "Zombies"

Maybe add a Chance that The loot in The body degrades as The Z's are trying to eat The dead Guy

ZOMBIES SHOULD BE TOO STUPID TO ZIGZAG YOU CROSSHAIR AVOIDING BULLETS!

As I've understood that's something due to the AI in ArmA 2, not the mod. The standalone will have a more streamlined Zombie AI, or at least that's the plan I've heard.

I for one would rather want classic style zombies than 28 days later style "zombies", but then you need to have a lot of them and let them swarm from a huge radius whenever they hear the players do something. Like firing a high caliber rifle would attract the attention of every zombie in a 200m-400m radius around the shooter.

[...]Like firing a high caliber rifle would attract the attention of every zombie in a 200m-400m radius around the shooter.

It should depend on Your Position.

E.g. When you are ontop of a Hill and you Fire Even a Pistol The Noise gerenated by The Shot should be carried +- 1 km.

Zombies that are attracted to Sound should slowly Walk there and Not go Full Speed.