EndEffeKt

Why is everybody so satisfied with ARMA2 Engine?

I don't think buggy is the right term (unless you count your ammo refilling by itself), I've never had anything just vanish it has always been because I have done something wrong. But clunky, yes absolutely.

If I did something wrong mean: I did the mistake of trying to put a gun from my backpack into my hands without dropping it on the ground beforehand you are right :) I dont know how many weapons I lost because of that bug.

Maybe thats been fixed while I took a break. I hope it is ^^

TBH the ARMA engine doesn't impress me at all. Its just an average engine. Its more that the War INC engine looks sub standard. Ill throw it out there as well that I hadn't heard of ARMA until I found out about DayZ. Also Ill be playing WAR INC and DayZ for the next few months and maybe eventually Ill stick to one permanently and drop the other.

I think the inventory UI was intentional. I think Arma is aiming to simulate a real experience not just real life.

All the little things like breaking limbs after turning in a door or rocks breaking legs can be attributed to having to be hyper aware in and out of combat situations. Sure IRL we just step over that rock, but in Arma there is no little button for "make a large stride", so you guide yourself around that rock.

And with the inventory system, IRL are we able to within seconds have that gun out of our bag loaded and ready to go? Having to work around the UI as it is forces a delay that can be attributed to real life delay in rummaging around in bags.

LOL

I definitely need to visit your country

You should. But if someone says "let's play a drinking game!", just say no and go home.

• Like 2

Most of the things you mention, like broken legs and inventory problems and such, are DayZ add ins. The arma 2 engine although slightly flawed at times, is really good in my eyes. Examples of that are -

You cant fire accurately while moving.

You cant fire while running.

All bullets fired do not hit the same spot as in COD.

Rolling and leaning round corners.

Good controls and realism for every military vehicle ever made.

The approved ability to mod and create anything you want, using this engine.

These are just off the top of my head, im sure there's lots more. I know its not as smooth as its FPS competition, but is life really that smooth ? I think it represents realizm a lot better than any other shooter at the moment.

• Like 3

I like it, it feels more mature than BF/CoD games.

Lest you forget, Arma is not an FPS, it is a simulator.

• Like 1

I crawled through my door last night after a trip to the pub, your right, it really hurt.

Hahahaha! One of my ex's walked through a door pissed up and broke her nose, smashing herself in the face full on as she opened it. Dorrs our our common enemy ! The dayz community needs to make a stand against these menaces !

The arma engine isn't the only one to implement realistic ballistics, As far as I know, the STALKER engine is great, perhaps even more realistic, especially with the complete mod.

If I did something wrong mean: I did the mistake of trying to put a gun from my backpack into my hands without dropping it on the ground beforehand you are right :) I dont know how many weapons I lost because of that bug.

Maybe thats been fixed while I took a break. I hope it is ^^

The inventory system is a lot like the rest of the game, fair but very unforgiving of mistakes. Instead of telling you that you can't move something it just makes that thing vanish, once you learn those sorts of lessons the hard way it is bearable.

You should. But if someone says "let's play a drinking game!", just say no and go home.

Don't you know us bloody russians can outdrink everybody else on the planet? Ah, and there's no zombies in DayZ. It's just drunken farmers.

• Like 2

Mainly I like the scale of the maps and the realistic ballistics. There's other tiny things too that make it amazing, for example the realistic star constellations making it possible to navigate by the stars like a boss. So many engines miss out these small details lately.

• Like 1

I think its pretty bad. Only real redeeming quality is when you shoot another player a blood spurt comes out to let you know where you hit him, other then that one little thing, worst engine since 2003 easy.

Lol! Wow, just wow?!
  • Like 1

I think the inventory is fine.

You think in real life ur gonna super fast get stuff out ur bag and pick things up..nope.

So ya I think it works well with it being clunky.

As for the engine, amazing. I'm not gonna complain cuz I enjoy it.

Are there better ones? mayb... but I'm happy.

-the inventory SUCKS. Did I mention that?

I can't help but roll my eyes when the inventory gets mentioned. Those that bitch about it haven't played ARMA II. Go play ARMA II and see how many times you use the inventory screen. It's hardly ever. You get given the best gear the US has, so why would you pick up guns from enemies? You never have to worry about food or drink ether so you usually never need to press 'G'. Add in the fact that backpacks are hacked in and use the shoulder slot used for rocket launchers then you know it's going to be a mess.

I think its pretty bad. Only real redeeming quality is when you shoot another player a blood spurt comes out to let you know where you hit him, other then that one little thing, worst engine since 2003 easy.

Let's play "Spot the CoD kiddie!"

Edited by PoisonedAl

As for ballistics and weapon damage, OFP/Arma system is pretty rudimentary compared to for instance to WW2Online. One of the most trivial issues for instance is that bullet travels only up to the first contact with a

player and armor penetration, etc. is not modeled at all.

While the engine does have some impressive aspects, it also has many many shortcomings that make it somewhat unfit for purpose.

The main one being the lag ass netcode.

More than 50% of the time players are warping around on servers with 'low' pings, not to mention shots taking 1-2s to register a lot of the time.

That's just terrible for an online shooter.

Add in the fact that backpacks are hacked in and use the shoulder slot used for rocket launchers then you know it's going to be a mess.

There are backpacks in vanilla Arma2, fyi.

Edited by Zorg

What is wrong with the ARMA2 engine, IMO I couldn't think of a better one.

And you want to change the engine because your on a shitty notebook? I just don't understand!?!?!

get a real PC before judging, maybe?

Maybe play ARMA 2 and you will see how great it is or the original flashpoint. There are a fair few bugs, yes but it is Alpha ffs!

Edited by 8-bit_Infidel
  • Like 2

There are backpacks are in vanilla Arma2, fyi.

Really? Shows how much I've used them then don't it?

Edited by PoisonedAl

Really? Shows how much I've used them then don't it?

so you never used a very useful feature in ARMA 2

honestly you get into a game where your transport gets shot down and you and your team are stuck in the middle of nowhere on your own with nothing but high altitude air support you'll be happy you packed your backpack full of rockets and other supplies because your main gear space will not last in a fight against armor or even infantry player controlled or AI

You people are missing the point. It's not a question whether the engine is good or bad. It's a question whether the engine is good or bad for a zombie game on a large map with a lot of inventory using.

For arma the inventory was fine cause it was rarely used. But for DayZ when you scavenge and collect items all the time. It's garbage. Yeah you can get used to it, doesn't change the fact that it's garbage.

Another thing. Arma engine was designed for long-mid range fights. Close combat and fights in buildings suck. And I mean they are in the top 10 worst. It didn't matter in large scale fights on open ground. But in zombie game where zombies get close to you and you have firefights in very close distance because people sneak in towns, it's a mess. Completely unfit for the purpose. I just hope it's not going to be like that in the standalone. And the engine tries to be realistic so hard that it discards all mechanics that are unrealistic in their nature but they're meant to make the game more realistic by compensating for things that can't be put in a video game. Let me explain. You know that you can't move just a tiny bit to the left in arma? You need to hold the button for like half a second and then he's gonna make a step to the left. It's a horrible mechanic for a shooter. If my position is very slightly off I can't in just tap the button and be where I want. Half a second can be a difference between life and death in a shootout. And I know you need to make a step in real life to move. And that's what the engine is trying to portray but in real life you can also move your body a bit, without moving your legs. You can't put that in the video game or it would be extremely hard to implement and it would probably end up being annoying anyway. That's why you let people tap the button and move a tiny bit. Even tho moving like that is unrealistic it's there to compensate for not being able to move your body without moving your legs. And I'm not talking about leaning all the way. Another thing the game fails to portray and that ruins close combat is that you can't walk and aim. Technically you can, but the gun moves so much you can't do crap. I know it's to show that you can't be accurate while walking but give me a break. The sway shouldn't be so bad. And I know that it's not that bad. You can move faster and aim much better in real life, plus you have 2 eyes the gun doesn't take 50% of your vision. Another thing that you can't portray. This thing again isn't really important in long rage but it ruins close combat. Another thing is not being able to turn when in a doorway or close to a wall or something. I don't even have to go in depth with that. There are more things like that.

But that's all just things that ruin close combat. You know what I find the biggest flaw of the engine? That you can do only one thing at a time. I can't take something out of my pocket while walking. I can't drop my gun when running, I have to stop because I can't use my hand and legs at the same time. Most of the time you can reload while running but sometimes you just won't move. The animations take a week to complete and can be triggered by accident. Pressed B with a zombie close to you? Well now you're going to be playing with binoculars for 10 seconds while the zombie chews on your face.

TL;DR the engine is great for combat simulator but it's garbage for a zombie game.

• Like 1