Sign in to follow this  
Bruin (DayZ)

How do you play? Controller or Keyboard/Mouse?

Yeh... Basically what the title says. I started off playing with my 360 controller, quickly realised that it's no good when coming up against a guy close quarters who's using a mouse, not accurate enough.

Also what mouse/keyboards do you guys use if you do use them? Gaming specific one's? If so what model?

I'm trying to imagine Arma 2's control scheme on an xbox controller and having a laugh at it.

• Like 6

I play on your standard factory shipped Dell qwerty.

I have a logitech controller that has enough buttons to manage the essential controls, but when I tried it out I definitely felt a little 'dumbed down' as it were.

• Like 1

I use cheapo £5 jobies from PC World, no need to get all fancy for no reason. I mean having a £5 mouse wont really gimp you against a £60 one in my opinion.

I'm trying to imagine Arma 2's control scheme on an xbox controller and having a laugh at it.

It's actually not too bad, no button for gear though so to get your inventory up you still need to press G on the keyboard, D pad up and down is the same as the mouse scroll wheel, LT zooms, right click get's the iron sights up, RT shoots. I'm gradually using the mouse and keyboard more and more though, really weird though, I usually game exclusively on Xbox and only use PC for Football Manager, this is pretty much the first FPS (kind of) I've played on a PC, taking some adapting, I've pretty much been killed by every player I've come up against in a 1 v 1 lol.

Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000 and Razer naga (side buttons work very nice to look at your 6 and 3 )

Edited by Knight2000

Personally, I like the best of both worlds, a controller in one hand and a mouse in the other. Mind you, Dayz has so many keys I have the keyboard in the middle for some random extra stuff too. My PC is connected to a 51 inch tv that I sit 8 ft from on the sofa/couch, a wireless mouse, keyboard and controller means I can sit comfortably with my hands by my sides and keyboard on lap. This ensures adequate blood supply to the hands and fingers and cuts down on cramp and tightness which normally occurs after gaming for a long time while sitting at a desktop. The Keyboard and controller are both cheap logitech standard issue, the mouse is a 'Razor Mamba', a good mouse but not particularly worth the price tag and would be better with 'Naga' buttons on the side, which would reduce the need for the keyboard. I also have a Belkin n52te/Razor Nostromo which along with the Logitech G13 is a step in the right direction for morphing a contoller and a keyboard, but still far from where it'll end up. I reckon when Lepmis get 'Orthros' their single handed contoller to it's 3rd or 4th generation, the dayZ of using a keyboard with a mouse for FPS style games, could be numbered. Don't knock it until you've tried it. :D

Yeh... Basically what the title says. I started off playing with my 360 controller, quickly realised that it's no good when coming up against a guy close quarters who's using a mouse, not accurate enough.

Also what mouse/keyboards do you guys use if you do use them? Gaming specific one's? If so what model?

Mouse and keys > Controller.

That's all there is too it. You can be the greatest gamer in the history of FPS, but if you're armed with a console style controller an average-competent PC gamer with a mouse is likely going to wreck you. This has been demonstrated plenty of times in spectacular fashions.

Honestly any modern mouse and keyboard should do. Figure out if you use a claw grip in the mouse (google!) and choose one accordingly.

Back when I had no gaming PC, and played Halo. I had the sensitivity on 3 at all times. The other day I went into EBGames and played a round of Halo Reach on it. I thought someone was playing around and set it to 1 because it was so slow, I went to the options and it was on 5. I set it to 9 and it still felt so sluggish.

I could never go back to a gaming pad for anything. They are so far inferior to keyboard and mouse

I use a rat 9 gaming mouse for an epic amount of hotkeys but I use the keyboard thats fitted to my laptop. My tv is too far away from where i sit to pick up on details like small writing or not being able to see a player in the trees.

Unfortunatly my alienware laptop weighs quite a bit itself + a coolmaster stand & fans leaves me with some throbbing legs after a good few hours.

I could move the telly but my girlfriend is usually watching it whilst im gaming ^^

I love to play on my Xbox360, always like consoles, but nothing in the world would make me want to play with a controller on the PC. I just use my in-built laptop keyboard, I will upgrade to a better one, or maybe a gaming pad, but I have no need yet.

My mouse is a Fierce 500Dpi laser gaming mouse 2, was probably a little expensive, but with 4 extra programmable buttons, and being able to change my DPI on the fly, it works for me. It is pretty big compared to a lot of mice, but works