mattlightfoot

Should we remove barbed wire in the next update

Barbed Wire  

1. 1. Should we remove barbed wire?

• Yes
    • No

If it`s difficult to fix the graphical bugs and easier to just remove them.

Wouldn`t it be the best solution to do the easy part sooner and later do the difficult part so it wouldn`t be as a downside in gameplay experience too long.

Remove Barbed Wire - Yes (with an intention to return it later on?)

Barbed Wire has a place in DayZ, however, I would like to see the following changes though:

- Make barbed wire climbable, with a chance of causing bleeding.

- You can only deploy barbed wire with a toolbox (this stops 90% of barbed wire in cherno / elektro being put up),

- You cannot place barbed wire inside a building, the concept is a bit silly.

If its removed, it should be replaced with something else that's is just as effective but my vote is,

No

Edited by CrissCrow

mabey make it so they cant be placed in buildings ? :)

then everyone is happy :)

I have not found a purpose for it so far since you can vault over it and zombies can bug through it, but i dont think you should remove it, it´s fun to setup a temporary base even though it isnt going to be effective and it looks cool with some sandbags ;)

As the title suggests. You only have a couple of hours :)

Wow, what a weak-assed way to gauge community opinion, "Hey guys, we've got a hotfix on the way in an hour or two, do you want us to remove a huge element of the game based on a handful of opinions?"

How about actually interacting with your community to try and fix a game mechanic that is buggy and easily abused in it's current form? This is an Aplha is it not? Aren't we meant to be working towards fully working game mechanics in the long term? If everything in DayZ/ARMA II that is bugged was removed rather than fixed it would make for a very barren 225km2 landscape. Did'nt Rocket say this would be about 'trial and error'?

Additionally, offering no alternative other than a Yes/No vote on the subject just polarises debate and draws out the lowest common denominator. On one side we have "OMG, barbwire, what? I have to go find a toolbox to remove it? No, i'm far too lazy for that, TAKE IT OUT PLS" and on the other we have "lulz, my barbwire has funneled everyone into a killing ground while I sit up on my barbwire-protected silo no-one can reach, while i'm sniping teh n00bs, KEEP IT FTW"

The saddest part of all of this is, unless i've missed it, there has been no comment here from devs either directly or indirectly on any of the suggestions posted in this 45 page thread. A simple 'That could be workable/Sorry we can't do that' on any of the comments here would give encouragement to the community that their thoughts and ideas were listened to.

[/rant]

Thankfully, some people have taken the time to put forward sensible ideas on how barbwire could be changed in order to make it a more functional game mechanic;

1. Stop respawn of removed barbwire on server reboot

2. If item one not available, make barbwire have to be saved/interacted with in order to remain in place.

3. Toolbox required to deploy

4. Tweak spawn rates of barbwire and/or toolboxes

5. Tweak spawn rates of other barricading devices

6. Remove the glitches/artifacting

7. Make them shorter

8. Barbwire currently blocks vehicles, but not Zombies, this is the wrong way round.

Here's some other suggestions;

A. Make barbwire take up more slots in the inventory, would people be so keen to pick them up if it took up three slots like Jerry cans, four like Fuel tank parts or even six slots like Engine parts?

B. Want to promote 'Hero status'? automatically add a toolbox to the toolbelt of anyone who achieves Hero status.

C. Provide a server side tool/facility to enable server hosts to have barbwire/tanktraps/sandbags disappear on either server restart or after 'X' number of hours/days.

Our server has recently been spammed with barbwire by a scripter (we found it in the logs) who came in when the server was empty and set up a Cherno killing ground funnel. Rather than whine endlessly about how crap barbwire is, we're polling our DayZ community as to whether or not we restart the server mission and basically start from scratch. We don't want barbed wire removed from the game as it is an interesting game dynamic, we'd much rather that there were some basic modifications that would develop the feature, allow some server side control (for dealing with scripted in fortifications) and stop it affecting server performance.

It would be most encouraging to hear the feedback of a dev either directly, or via a forum mod.

• Like 7

No. Keep it in the game, it is part of the game and real world. They should work like tents and cars, if not interacted with in 6 days (as in save) it should be removed, or be FOREVER deleted when a player removes it, not be back when server restarts. these are the ONLY reasons why barbed wire is so frowned upon, it just keeps coming back

Translated: It should be removed UNTIL these changes are made and I will agree with you.

In it's current form, I've yet to see a good reason why to keep it in the game.

@Vladivar - I liked your post, it's well written, but since when has barbed wire been a "huge element of the game"? Am I missing something? As far as I can tell it's primarily used for griefing and not much else. I'm pretty sure it was only added along with sandbags to see what effect it would have on the map by allowing players to build things. The results speak for themselves, hence any future bases/fortifications being based underground.

Edited by Fraggle

@Vladivar - I liked your post, it's well written, but since when has barbed wire been a "huge element of the game"? Am I missing something? As far as I can tell it's primarily used for griefing and not much else. I'm pretty sure it was only added along with sandbags to see what effect it would have on the map by allowing players to build things. The results speak for themselves, hence any future bases/fortifications being based underground.

Hey Fraggle,

Perhaps my choice of words could have been better. I would consider the ablilty to barricade or fortify any location in the game environment to be a 'huge element of the game', it is the Zombie apocolypse after all. Barbwire, at the moment, is the primary object used for this as the current game mechanics make it so readily available and offer the greatest coverage when deployed. It is simply extremely OP compared to the other fortification options offered. Take it out and what is left;

Sandbags - I've been playing this game solidly since May and haven't seen a single legit sandbag, other than deployed ones. Aside from their merits and demerits as fortification tools this is ridiculous, what would be realistically be more readily available on a coastline map with military installations? sand and bags, or rolls of barbwire? Spawn rates obviously need buffed.

Tank traps - Not terrible but not great coverage compared to barbwire, and thus they are often overlooked, spawn rate seems reasonable too. No real issue with these imo.

Aside from scripting douchebags, the results speak for themselves only because the initial choices made in implementing these features has been a) poor and b] pretty much ignored thereafter. Read through this thread, there are plenty of people putting forward suggestions on how the current mechanics could be tweaked to improve these features.

I think underground bases sound like a great idea too, however, what if the feature is added, turns out to be hugely flawed or simply broken, do we have a vote a couple of hours before a hotfix to remove them?

It's all well and good adding features, however, if you make poor choices during implementation (which is understandable on a game of this type) and then dont listen to your community with regards to their application, make changes then re-guage opinion, then whats the point?

Edited by Vladivar
  • Like 3

Hey, zombies need fixing, I wouldnt suggest removing those either. BTW- Barbed wire should not function as a force field wall that buses can slam into at top speed. Have em operate as a regular fence with some tire damage

Yes. I hate when people block doors. takes away from the game experience

No, it keeps it interesting to have to use another entrence to a building, or miss one completely. (Unless you have a toolbox that is)

Umm, why are we still dealing with barb wire topics. lol Its sept, like 2 months from stand alone release and we are talking about barb wire being removed, This was a topic in May? You sure you guys got this stand alone thing under control?