boogiemanfl

Basically done with this game for now. Sadly, it's just a slow paced deathmatch.

This could give the carebears a place to hangout and pick flowers or build tree forts with their wood piles and tool kits. While the PVPers could even camp outside of the towns and ambush unsuspecting targets or venture to the lower sec areas and farm for good loot.

There's a game for this, it's called EVE online, go play it.

And take your fantasy of what real gamers are with you. Real gamers don't thrive on kills for kicks, they actually live and work in the world. Clearly you just want people happy so you can grief them.

It's the "WAH! Carebears tryign tot ake all the fun!" bullshit that kills games.

This could give the carebears a place to hangout and pick flowers or build tree forts with their wood piles and tool kits. While the PVPers could even camp outside of the towns and ambush unsuspecting targets or venture to the lower sec areas and farm for good loot.

There's a game for this' date=' it's called EVE online, go play it.

And take your fantasy of what real gamers are with you. Real gamers don't thrive on kills for kicks, they actually live and work in the world. Clearly you just want people happy so you can grief them.

It's the "WAH! Carebears tryign tot ake all the fun!" bullshit that kills games.

[/quote']

I don't think you understand the difference between throwing out ideas in order to help the devs come up with new ideas and demanding they implement something from an entirely different game because I hate whats going on right now (I don't, and I look forward to what else might come out).

You sound angry, maybe you should take a nap.

With that said, I like the other mentioned idea of making zombies more prevalent. Right now they are like flies, and I am more worried about people than I am zombies. I should be worried about zombies more, and I think there should be more of them.

The shame with ALL the "I had to kill this guy before he killed me" people is that they missed out on the rare 'survivors against the zeds' scenarios that crop up. I couldn't give a shit about people on the same teamspeak channel not shooting each other, thats just another clique to me. You may aswell make this game real life where those that didn't go to the same school are fucked...

When we come together, that's when the game rocks ten tons of shit - not when dickheads are shooting each other on site once they travel north of Cherno.

It wouldn't be so bad if every single person you meet is just going to shoot you because there's zero repercussions now. There's no working together or survival anymore, literally everyone is just out to shoot every survivor they see it seems. Hell the last time I played this, I got killed 10+ times not even a single minute after my last respawn by people camping the shore with sniper rifles.

Maybe if it was harder to actually survive on your own and the game made you know this? Something that would actually make this game seem like a zombie survival game instead of, yes, a deathmatch. The game itself hasn't gone this way, the playerbase has done this.

Way back you used to be able to meet up with other survivors and, with all of the zombies, you had to. Without help searching a town was basically suicide.

Also it's fucking hilarious all this people throwing out they're "L33T STATS" in replies and then claiming they're right because, like, they totally survived 20 days guys and had all this sweet gear. We need ideas, not internet dickwaving. Complaining without a valid point isn't really helping either, we need to pinpoint a solution not be vague about the problem. We ARE basically alpha testers right now and I think we need to help direct where this game is going to go, get it back on track.

You sound angry' date=' maybe you should take a nap.

[/quote']

Ask me why I'm angry, go ahead and ask. I promise to make it coherent.

I'm OK with this "sudden death" concept - it is the thing that makes this mod infuriating' date=' yet also very compelling. I just hope that when this mod has matured past alpha/beta stage, these kind of stupid deaths that are not your fault could be somehow ironed out (although one might argue that "parking" your character inside the Devils Castle probably isn't the safest thing to do).

[/quote']

Yeah, I wouldn't mind dying and losing my gear due to some proper firefight or such... But after losing all my stuff - and not to mention my zed kill count :P - just recently due to some apparent major desync bugginess, that kinda gets to me.

Just when I was thinking that I'll try to play the game properly again after a while of rampage at the coast, going north again and things are going nice, got all that gear and shit... and then some bug just nullifies that again. It just adds to the whole feeling of futility of trying to play the game "properly". As if the eventual death and loss of all loot wasn't certain even without all those bugs.

And yeah, I'm sure others have lost their gear and had their survival streak cut off by similar bugs and such, so I guess I should not complain, but rather just suck it up like everyone else does too. It just gets boring after a while.

Oh well... I guess back to the coast bean wars it is for me, while waiting for the game to stabilize and finalize - so that I might bother trying to actually survive for more than an hour again. :P

It wouldn't be so bad if every single person you meet is just going to shoot you because there's zero repercussions now. There's no working together or survival anymore' date=' literally everyone is just out to shoot every survivor they see it seems. Hell the last time I played this, I got killed 10+ times not even a single minute after my last respawn by people camping the shore with sniper rifles.

Maybe if it was harder to actually survive on your own and the game made you know this? Something that would actually make this game seem like a zombie survival game instead of, yes, a deathmatch. The game itself hasn't gone this way, the playerbase has done this.

[/quote']

Yup. I agree with that - to some point...

And yes, I do try to shoot everyone I see in the game. Because I've noticed that when I don't, they will just shoot me. (My current stats probably still are pretty much more on the dying than the kills side, due to originally trying to play it nice as a survivor and getting constantly killed for it, but now I'm doing my best to remedy that and turn it the other way around).

Its all about adapting to the current situation.

And yes, I agree with those people who are saying that the game has become more and more of a deathmatch. But its not really the players' fault, if they try to find out the most suitable (most fun) style that the game mechanics allow.

- Running in woods for hours, finally getting shot on sight = fun for a while, gets boring though.

- Going on a murderous rampage in cherno/elektro and hunting down unsuspecting people = Meh... Not so great, but I guess its passable.

Sure, it might degrade the originally intended play style, and might cause a cycle of killing that will be next to unbreakable, but that's just the way it goes. People play games to have fun - and if they think deathmatch is the best fun the game has to offer, then that's what its going to be.

I do hope some changes come along that shift the game mechanics so that co-operation might seem like a viable option again. Until that happens, I'll just shoot first, and won't even bother to ask the questions later. And it seems to be the general attitude of most of the players in the game.

The only thing that bothers me' date=' is all this talk of "CoD kiddies" and how they can't play games right or they play the games wrong.

[/quote']

I don't think it's fair to assume everyone who plays CoD is retarded or rude or a bad player... but the game is the biggest FPS game currently, it casts a huge net meaning a lot of people who fit into those slanderous categories are within that playerbase.

It's not different from your hate on WoW. If you play a lot of MMO games, you know who the WoW players are. They show up on every niche game out there (because they are bored of doing the same thing over and over again on WoW, like a lot of CoD players), play for five minutes, hate the game because it's not WoW (or CoD), and then spend more time bitching about it than learning the game. They potentially then start doing something silly, or griefy. I've seen plenty of 'WoW kids' on other MMO's who get frustrated because it's not WoW or doesn't have WoW's exact quality, so they start training mobs on people who actually enjoy the game just to get a kick out of it, then they tell that person to 'quit this shitty game anyway'.

I know those people don't make up an entire playerbase, or even a significant portion, but when you've seen it enough, you begin making generalizations.

I didn't say i expect the dev to fix like that i just said that it would be BETTER.I know the limit of this engine and i don't want a new city called a chelektro to pop out. I'm just hoping for a new game mechanic to make small towns to be more crucial as the big cities.

That dilutes the population. The "big cities" are supposed to be more important. They are supposed to attract more players and be the sight of more encounters and more action. This creates a balanced dynanic between low risk/low reward towns and high risk/high reward large cities.

What exactly is so rewarding about the big cities? There's only so many cans of beans you can carry, for the really cool stuff you need to head to a military base/airfield/deer stand elsewhere on the map. And you get just as many vehicles elsewhere. Big cities are for noobs.

DayZ would make an awesome MMO.

No leveling' date=' no skill trees, just pure player skill making the difference.

Imagine a server with 1000 people. The Trading posts would get set up, people would form bandit camps, survivors would try to clear out a place and set up a village.

Only real goal is to survive as you see fit like it basically is now.

Some choose to hunt players for beans, some will choose to scavenge, some will choose to trade..

Imagine all the dynamic events that the players would create themselves, Police forces killing raiders, raiders assaulting a trading post.

It would be really fucking awesome.

[/quote']

The problem is that most bandits run NFG mode, meaning they literally are unstoppable. Police forces only work when there are a finite number of forces. If there was a long time between bandit attacks, more than the 10 minutes we have now, a police force might work. As it stands though, it has the same system in an MMO where you kill 20 CHOTA, and made no difference because they just popped right back up.

I don't know how many times people can tell you to get off the coast you moron. If you set up a trade post in a smart location it'll take 20+ minutes to get back to it. No one's going to makarov rush it.

And most bandits I've seen are way more kitted out than the average survivor. You need to stop standing in the spawn zone crying about people spawning around you.

Previous 18 pages, bringing back some hope to me...

Last time i left my input here (lost due to forum hack), i was being intentionaly harsh on my whole standing about the current state of gameplay, i started with:

I couldn't care less [about d/c'ing]... given the current state of gameplay regarding cooperation.

and ended with:

Understand me when I say. Let us have a disconnect counter measure before we jump each other.

If that made any sense... i was being as logical then as i am now. The in between point was the following:

All these [reasons to be killed/survive/befriend]' date=' simply don't matter, what matters is what the game ultimately allows you to do, independently of an idealized etiquette [acceptable form of play in favour of bandits or not'], which is valid both ways. What ultimately matters is HOW players actually PLAY it. And then wether one likes it or not, and comes back to play.

What is not supposed to happen, must be either enforced by game mechanics or discouraged by some sort of penalty [or in reverse terms - encouraged by some sort of reward]. But i am [would be] more ambitious then this:

What is not supposed to happen, should be countered by what one as a player feels compelled to do instead, independently of his style of play. This is of course much harder to achieve.

Somewhere else i stated my ultimate point:

Whatever happens regarding the success/failure of DayZ will tell me more about the general player population rather then the [novel] game genre itself. In this sense, indeed, DayZ is an actual experiment, a very important one in my book.

TL;DR - I agree totally with this thread's title, but i may just eat my words and go shooting some zeds (it has been 3 days already in "safehouse" limbo)

@rocket + team: keep it up you guys!

@bandits+survivors-alike: our time will prevail!

@frivolous-bandits: my lead is specially spiced before it drops you.

I don't know how many times people can tell you to get off the coast you moron. If you set up a trade post in a smart location it'll take 20+ minutes to get back to it. No one's going to makarov rush it.

And most bandits I've seen are way more kitted out than the average survivor. You need to stop standing in the spawn zone crying about people spawning around you.

Have you ever actually timed how long it takes to get inland? Yes, my FIRST THING TO DO is run inland. It takes me a grand total of 10 minutes to get fully and completely away from the coast, but then what? At that point, I'm totally by myself and playing basically Armory in the woods with challenges turned off.

DayZ without the players is pointless, but with the players just means killing each other, so again...pointless. I can kill people all I want to on the ACE mod, or ArmA2, or even EVERY other FPS out there...what makes DayZ different right now?

Let's not forget that if someone wants to take over a city, it needs to be in a place that actually makes sense. There's no point in taking over Guglovo...I mean really? I guess Vybor would make sense, but then you face the same issue with bandits flooding the place in infinite waves.

TL;DR scrubs:

I like the concept of this game and the fear of dying and losing everything makes you very careful' date=' but there is too much downtime and no motivation for anything other than mindless deathmatch. Also I don't like CoD, BF3 or mindless deathmatch games like that so suggesting that I go play them instead which seems to happen in every post even remotely like this one, is a waste of time.

I'm fine with the PvP, real loss adds some care and caution to it. But to lose days of progress and countless hours of traveling, dodging zombies, players - all that just to die in 2 seconds is just horrible. I die to a cash register, then to a zombie who is invincible and will never die, to joining a server with 6 people only to get instantly killed during a heavy rainstorm in pitch black night while I was laying down moments after I load up, after hours of play. Then you look back on the time preceding and they were basically for nothing. LONG periods of running around with small windows of actually "playing a game".

It's not about the zombies, which is weird considering it's a zombie survival game. It's purely devolved into another run of the mill deathmatch game. A Counter Strike with no teams where you get one life and the rounds last hours or days. If you're any distance from the coast, you're shoot on sight to everyone because no one wants to endure the torture of getting back out there. Even the newbie cities are stalked by people with better gear, newbies will evade each other unless someone gets the drop. And in my experience anyone who has lived long enough to have more than a makarov will also kill you on sight regardless of the situation.

I've been on both sides, I've been killed and I've done the killing. Each person I took out, I felt a little bad (most of them disconnected within a minute later) thinking well just like it happened to me I just wasted that person's time. Even though I'd rather not kill other players, it's forced upon you because 9 people in 10 will happily kill you because it's difficult/impossible to communicate and there is little motivation to do otherwise. Such high traveling requirements and repetitive garbage loot makes everyone hope they'll get something useful off you. There needs to be motivation to do something other than hunt other players - the zombies need to be more a part of the game. Right now their most prominent roll is being shambling speed limit signs.

Such harsh results from dying appeal to some people but I don't believe most people will be able to validate losing so much time in the blink of an eye to some random asshole to keep up with the game for any length of time. I'd be curious to know the details of how many unique players have played this game, and still do after a month. Seems to me, although my experience is somewhat limited itself, that it's wave after wave of newbies who soon tire of the time consuming gameplay and extremely anti social community with only a small long term player population of hardcore diehards.

Some people no doubt think it's fine how it is, but to me it feels like the game has strayed away from what it seems it supposed to be. I know it's an alpha, but without sweeping changes I don't see it becoming much more than it is. It's just too harsh. Those with a LOT of free time will invariably have more fun than someone with far less. If the map was half the size, or in general simply had less empty time gobbling wilderness it'd be less painful.

Oh well. Had some fun experiences but 90% of my time spent was empty running around. Maybe it'll get better in time.

[/quote']

There's no real incentive to group up & survive. So we do the next best thing until choppers are fixed & commit borderline genocide killing anyone unlucky enough to let his position slip.

Today, i killed two long term players armed with akm/50cal/gps with a Glick17 & a slight buzz from how angry they must be.

There's no real incentive to group up & survive.

Really? 'cause Incentives for Cooperative Play seem abundant to me.

There's a ton already' date=' and we're only in Alpha. Pretty good sign for the future.

[/quote']

I play with a good mate being a two man bandit sniper team murdering anyone inside cherno/elektra.

Apart from the corpse guarding, blood, epi, bandage, one over watch/other scavenging for ammo theres little else to do.

Really? 'cause Incentives for Cooperative Play seem abundant to me.

There's a ton already' date=' and we're only in Alpha. Pretty good sign for the future.

[/quote']

Those are a good read no doubt! Very compelling reasons!

But then why, generally speaking, players do not cooperate (~mostly)?

Note: basing this opinion on personal experience alone. Can't really tell how general it actually is.

veiled, and hopeless request:

could rocket just come in and spoil us with stats of the kind

- number of encounters between players over subsequent murders

- successfull engagements / time they lasted

- etc, etc..

these should be some very interesting stats for peer review ;)

All things considered' date=' I'm pretty sure once the group and meta-game content is rounded out, much of this frustration will disappear.

I didn't expect any real replayability at this stage, the concepts involved are extremely basic. The fact that it is replayable is kind of bizarre, but cool.

So while we're waiting for the "after day 1" content and features to be put in (and it would be bad to rush this), we're testing, finding all the hacks, exploits, mistakes, etc... and tidy those up... then come on in for the big win.

It's not all or nothing guys, posts from all angles seem to take things to extremes. I think most people are managing their expectations and adopting a wait and see approach, tipping their hat to some early success. I think that's a pretty sensible way to consider all this.

[/quote']

This is exactly my frame of mind and I'm glad to see some vindication for it. I'm also certain that the majority of players are like this. Some of them posters but most lurkers, not really compelled to make an account to complain/suggest/discuss but interested in DayZ's status nonetheless. The silent majority who is interested to see where this is going but thankful for the opportunity to participate.

You cant claim to be certain of the feelings of the silent majority, theyre silent afterall, your assuming/guessing/hoping. However you are entitled to your personal opnion but please dont claim to convey the feelings of others who have not elected you to do so.

I'm fine with the PvP' date=' real loss adds some care and caution to it. But to lose days of progress and countless hours of traveling, dodging zombies, players - all that just to die in 2 seconds is just horrible. [/quote']

Last night when I was shooting zeds at Devils Castle, a guy spawned next to me. Although his character was there, his game was probably still loading and he most likely wasn't playing yet. So I had to make a quick decision, and ended up shooting the poor defenceless guy before he had even made it to the game. If I hadn't I done it, chances are that he would have shot me in the back. I guess I could have just run away, but I only realized that after it was too late. And he still would have had a decent chance to shoot me at the back.

I felt really bad for shooting the guy, because he had gathered some decent gear, wandered deep to the north and obviously spent some time doing all that - only to have his character dead while loading the game.

I'm OK with this "sudden death" concept - it is the thing that makes this mod infuriating, yet also very compelling. I just hope that when this mod has matured past alpha/beta stage, these kind of stupid deaths that are not your fault could be somehow ironed out (although one might argue that "parking" your character inside the Devils Castle probably isn't the safest thing to do).

Dont feel too bad mate, its his own fault for logging off in one of the norths highly trafficked areas, he took the risk and it cost him, prehaps next time he will log out in a forest, under tree or somewhere else approiately safe. He probably logged there hoping to get easy access to loot upon return or was server hopping, he took the risk in order to get an easy reward and as a result had a bad day.

You sound angry' date=' maybe you should take a nap.

[/quote']

Ask me why I'm angry, go ahead and ask. I promise to make it coherent.

WHY ARE YOU ANNE GRAY!?

WHY ARE YOU ANNE GRAY!?

You didn't ask why I'm angry in a clear, concise, and decent tone.

WHY ARE YOU ANNE GRAY!?

You didn't ask why I'm angry in a clear' date=' concise, and decent tone.

[/quote']

My good man, what the devil has got you so frightfully angry?

All I can add to this is, I've played in a private server with friends where we have everything and there's no threat of PVP. After the honeymoon of getting all the vehicles without problems and all the top gear without any threat or risk the game becomes exceedingly dull.

PVP is an absolute must in this game. Without it the game simply has no excitement. With no PVP you might as well load up the editor, spawn some zombies and a few vehicles and drive around them in circles.

Don't get me wrong, I too hate losing hours of game time to some trigger happy idiot with a small dick, big gun complex. But without that high risk of running into these idiots the game has very little thrill or excitement.

Death-matching isn't really the issue here. It's lack of goals and things to do. This is a prime example of today's youth on the streets. Without places like youth centers, community activities and the like, kids simply go out, vandalize, break into buildings, steal cars etc.. just for the simple fact they are bored and have no direction or goals.

You will always get the small minority who're an exception to the rule ( real bandits ). But the majority of players will club together for the greater good. Don't lose faith in the mod yet. It's still to early to make such a sweeping judgement. Lets see what Rocket has planned in future releases. I'm hoping we will all be very surprised.