boogiemanfl

Basically done with this game for now. Sadly, it's just a slow paced deathmatch.

I have spawned in this game a hundred times, and run inland just as often. I've never had the PvP problems you all have, perhaps because I play as realistically as I can. I employ stealth and observation and avoid unnecessary risks. I don't go looking for the phat loot because my Makarov, 1911, and Remington fire bullets too. I don't care about NWAF or Cherno and I avoid players instead of engaging them.

I'm basically a human rat, feasting on the detritus of civilization after dark. How depressing.

Yes. Let us discriminate against an entire segment of the player population because another segment doesn't like it. Please' date=' just say it like it is and don't sugar coat it with bullshit.

Putting in consequences that completely destroys the way people play is utterly retarded. Sure, you can say bandits cause a problem for you and the way you play. However, if you use your brain, and actually develop friends in the game that you work with, then you minimize the dangers from bandits. The fear of bandits killing me and making me lose everything i've gathered in the past week without dying is part of what makes this game so great. You're not only dealing with zombies, but you're dealing with people out to murder you for your beans. If you don't like that then just go back to Left For Dead, or wait until EA or someone else makes a pussified version of DayZ for the masses. This game is hardcore, and that's what makes it so god damned fun and addicting. Period. Rocket and the rest of the development shouldn't have to change an amazing game simply because some people get butt hurt at the thought of dying to another player. Jesustapdancingchrist, people.

[/quote']

WEARING DIFFERENT COLORED CLOTHES IS HARDLY A CONSEQUENCE. IT IS THE PLAYERBASE THAT CREATES THE CONSEQUENCES...

if you know what i mean...

Perhaps mass murders should have blood on their hands, literally...as well as on their clothes, I've seen the washing machines in Chernarus, they are all broken. Someone who kills on a daily basis would probably get their clothes covered in blood eventually I’m sure, perhaps this could be used as a way to identify if someone trustworthy based on looks alone. Let’s face it, in real life we judge people on how they look, how they dress etc. Yet people are saying that’s unrealistic, we should judge them by their actions alone, and that’s a good rule of thumb in a perfect world but our world isn't perfect and neither is Chernarus . People usually judge new people they meet based on appearance alone so I don’t see the problem with having some kind of system attempt that in game. Currently there are only 3 skins, you can’t get a good impression of the player right now, everyone is very generic. perhaps if their outfits and clothes were altered in subtle ways to represent the kind of lives they are leading each day, maybe that could work? With side chat on the way out, were going to have one less way to get impressions about the other inhabitants of the server afterall.

Before someone says it, I get that player could also get zombie blood on them technically rendering my idea pointless, and sure that could happen but as the game mechanics change and evolve, I really don’t see the logic in looting a zombie in the first place, in reality would you be ok with eating food that you found on an infected corpse that was carrying a deadly virus? I know I certainly wouldn’t.

The only other instance I can imagine getting zombie blood on myself is if it got close enough to bite or attack me and if Rocket ever makes it for a player to die from the zombie virus then this would be even more reason to not trust someone with blood on their clothes, they were probably bitten or have been looting/eating food from infected also making them a potential carrier of the virus. So blood on their clothes would surely be bad news regardless of how it got there and a visual warning sign regardless of how the blood got there in the first place.

Just a thought off the top of my head anyway.

Hopefully rocket will implement some kind of consequence for the mindless killing' date=' which would then make people think twice before shooting on sight. This might bring back some of the survivor interaction that we used to have before the bandit skins were removed and majority adopted KoS attitude.

In my opinion, killing other players should be the last resort and rare occurrence in the game. Bandit behavior would be much more realistic if they would rob you on gunpoint and leave you alive. If killing other player would have a severe consequence, it would definitely improve the interaction between players

[/quote']

The problem with that is that then you cannot go bandit and it be practical. And you would have issues going from bandit to normal as people would shoot you specifically on sight.

The player is the threat and the zombies are just part of the world. And if so many of the people on these forums are as nice as they say then you should find nice players all the time anyway.

Yeah, i think u meant the bandit skins, and you are right about that. The bandit skin didn't work well, so rocket is making a new system so killing other people would bring consequences.

No, I said what I meant. Bandit skins are a good example of why a consequence system would not work but they aren't the only example. You cannot punish people for playing Althea game a way that you personally. Do not like. I still say that zombies are meant as background noise and players are the threat. They can be nice but you should never ever assume that and in this kind of situation that would hold true. And alot of people are crazy/hyper survivalist and either way they would sooner shoot you than risk it. It fits the game and the overall tone of The world, you don't like dying and I get that. Every time I go to stary. I die and that sucks but I know that there is valuable loot there and people guard it and horde that area l. Its just a fact of the game and its that kind of unique and organic player motivation that makes DayZ interesting.

even the player interaction is organic. I see someone and I have to make some big decisions and in the list of possibilities is just killing some poor bastard and slinking away. Even someone like me, who tries to be friendly, has on occasion just shot someone because I had a bad feeling and it made me feel safer to do that.

Don't take that kind of real and difficult decision from me just because you don't like dying in game.

No one is going to take that decision away from you, i won't like that either. I'm hoping the KOS problem could be solved with several mechanics i just saw in the suggestion forum. But killing spree definitely should be fixed. There are a LOT of people who just kill ppl because there are bored, and i saw a lot of groups who hunts survivors and they don't even loot the bodies, they just KILL them. I'm not saying like a -2000health for each murder, but a suggestion i saw about a mental consequences might work.

But there are more issues. For example it is not right for you to impose your morality system on other people. I have seen bandit camps where bandits group up and ravage the cities then retreat to their camp. This is not how I play and it does not sound like it is how you play but people do group up and some will be more violent than others.

So what if they kill people because they are bored, you can't make everyone be nice to each other and so long as they are not hacking then others have no say in what they do.

You also cannot make everyone play the same way because then all you have are people being nice and imposing and kind of system would, realistically, make people afraid of being a bandit no matter what the consequence is. It is a game about choice and the natural interaction between people in an entirely hostile environment and I think it simulates that very well.

I feel like people make it sound far easier than it is to be a bandit. I usually try to group with people I meet but sometimes you just feel safer killing them, however me shooting you does not guarantee that you will die. I will probably get messed up killing you unless I have the drop on you and then there is the fact that you rarely run into other players anywhere other than towns. So now we have the fact that I might not kill you, you might injure or kill me and then even if I kill you I get to deal with the horde that follows.

I have saved newbies before and taught them the game, form basic controls to how to survive and general rules for approaching towns and do you know what the biggest piece of advice I give is? I say "Do not trust anybody. You are lucky it was me you ran into and not someone that would just shoot you for your gear or for the hell of it." And that brings a kind of real and natural comraderie. If I met them again we would group up and protect one another. I usually try to apporoach players in a cautious and non threatening way but I cannot predict or control you and that risk is part of what makes the game fun and unique.

That's a dumb statement. It doesn't matter how good you are' date=' how skilled you are or how good your gear is. You can still die in the blink of an eye.

[/quote']

I can count on one hand the # of times I've just been killed outright. Sometimes some one is just prone under a bush despite all odds and gets an easy headshot on you. Yes it's a possibility, but if you run erratically and find good cover when possible, it is almost impossible to get those shots on you. If you're vigilant and cautious you will usually at LEAST see him before he can get a clean shot on you (if not get the jump on him).

Every time I hear these complaints, the victim always goes on about how it was an impossible shot. And if it was frapsed I'm sure we'd all see that it was anything but. Those are some cute stories you mentioned -- none of them show competence. You sat prone and ran into a couple kills. I'm not trying to insult, but I think you have it plain wrong. The PvP is the one part of this game that's done very well. There is enough cover, a wide & varied enough map to cover a variety of strategies, intense group combat (which I think you might be missing out on), and high enough stakes to get your heart going. There aren't many games that offer MMO scale (persistent, large map, etc) sandbox PvP with no holds barred. I could probably count them on one hand. It's not supposed to be for everyone.

Regarding the KOS mentality, you can read the rest of my post you quoted (the part you *didn't* quote) for ideas on that. There can definitely be a social fabric in this game; and likely there will be. Maybe rocket should let us know what's going on behind the curtains, but at the end of the day this is still an alpha.

Hopefully rocket will implement some kind of consequence for the mindless killing' date=' which would then make people think twice before shooting on sight. This might bring back some of the survivor interaction that we used to have before the bandit skins were removed and majority adopted KoS attitude.

In my opinion, killing other players should be the last resort and rare occurrence in the game. Bandit behavior would be much more realistic if they would rob you on gunpoint and leave you alive. If killing other player would have a severe consequence, it would definitely improve the interaction between players

[/quote']

THIS ^^^^

A video of this this exact thing happening early in the mods life, before everyone became a disconnecting Mary, I also liked the idea of being able to shoot them in the leg to disable them somewhat, currently thats worseless as they can log off.

PUNISHING PvP is the exact wrong way to go. This is what stirs PvP type players into a frothy rage. PvE type players do this in EVERY game they play. They join a game with full PvP and then complain that the game should deter PvP. There are plenty of ideas that add cooperative play while in the context of a full PvP game.

As for that video, it proves the opposite of your point. "Hey bandits, you should hold people up so they have a chance to shoot you in the face!"

Edit: re-posting ways to allow for cooperative play

1. Roaming zombie hordes. Players shouldn't know where all the zombies will be. Right now we can pick and choose when we want to deal with zombies. What if the sniper in the trees stops to think that a horde of 100 zombies may be in the forest north of him? Or exchanging shots with an enemy group only to notice dozens of zombies spilling out of the trees. Next shot aggro's, gentlemen.

2. Cooperative objectives. The best example I've seen yet is having a power plant building feed power to an ammo factory buildling. Each building is held by a different group and they're now forced to negotiate if either group wants the ammo.

3. Friend/Black Lists. You should be able to "recognize" your best friend from a complete stranger. But in DayZ if a player is 10 feet away from you, you have NO idea if he's your buddy or not. Usually you ask your buddy in an external VOIP to prone, and check that the in-game player prones. If you don't have the friend in VOIP there is no solution but to give away your position. It's idiotic.

You should be able to add a teammate to your friend list so if he mouses over you, your tags pop up (should probably add a caveat option where you give your friend tags on mouse-over so long as he too adds you to his friend list and gives you tags on mouse-over). He "recognizes" that it's you. The blacklist would not use tags on mouse-over (as it's game breaking for anyone but your friends to see your tags on mouse-over), but instead colors the username in direct chat/voice (bottom left). Red = a player you've marked as bandit/unfriendly. Orange = a player your friend has marked unfriendly. Yellow = marked unfriendly by a friend of a friend. You could see an actual social fabric develop this way.

Where did I say about punishing PvP? o.O I was mainly agreeing with the sentiment that as humans, we should be able to better assess danger, this is how we survive in reality, humans are very adept, usually at detecting danger. In a game that’s about trust vs. paranoia we need more subtle ways to make an assessment of a player on the fly, I’m not saying anything archaic and intrusive like a big red arrow over a hostile player, see my post above about blood on clothing, I guess it covers what I’m trying to say here.

That's a dumb statement. It doesn't matter how good you are' date=' how skilled you are or how good your gear is. You can still die in the blink of an eye.

[/quote']

I can count on one hand the # of times I've just been killed outright. Sometimes some one is just prone under a bush despite all odds and gets an easy headshot on you. Yes it's a possibility, but if you run erratically and find good cover when possible, it is almost impossible to get those shots on you. If you're vigilant and cautious you will usually at LEAST see him before he can get a clean shot on you (if not get the jump on him).

Every time I hear these complaints, the victim always goes on about how it was an impossible shot. And if it was frapsed I'm sure we'd all see that it was anything but. Those are some cute stories you mentioned -- none of them show competence. You sat prone and ran into a couple kills. I'm not trying to insult, but I think you have it plain wrong. The PvP is the one part of this game that's done very well. There is enough cover, a wide & varied enough map to cover a variety of strategies, intense group combat (which I think you might be missing out on), and high enough stakes to get your heart going. There aren't many games that offer MMO scale (persistent, large map, etc) sandbox PvP with no holds barred. I could probably count them on one hand. It's not supposed to be for everyone.

Regarding the KOS mentality, you can read the rest of my post you quoted (the part you *didn't* quote) for ideas on that. There can definitely be a social fabric in this game; and likely there will be. Maybe rocket should let us know what's going on behind the curtains, but at the end of the day this is still an alpha.

[/quote']

THIS ^^^^

A video of this this exact thing happening early in the mods life, before everyone became a disconnecting Mary, I also liked the idea of being able to shoot them in the leg to disable them somewhat, currently thats worseless as they can log off.

PUNISHING PvP is the exact wrong way to go. This is what stirs PvP type players into a frothy rage. PvE type players do this in EVERY game they play. They join a game with full PvP and then complain that the game should deter PvP. There are plenty of ideas that add cooperative play while in the context of a full PvP game.

The problem is, this mod WASN'T suppose to be a PvP game. The ideal goal is survivors cooperating to survive while there are bandits trying to ROB them not kill them without guilt. and now, they don't even kill them for supplies, they kill them because they're bored. For a full PvP action, other game is suggested, probably arma 2 multiplayer(other than dayz) since they pack of group firefights.

oh, and please don't make assumptions that ppl making complaints about this are noobs who just get shot alot. I did banditry myself a lot, played in groups, and i made a conclusion that something is wrong here.

[/quote']

[/quote']

THIS ^^^^

As for that video, it proves the opposite of your point. "Hey bandits, you should hold people up so they have a chance to shoot you in the face!"

1. Roaming zombie hordes. Players shouldn't know where all the zombies will be. Right now we can pick and choose when we want to deal with zombies. What if the sniper in the trees stops to think that a horde of 100 zombies may be in the forest north of him? Or exchanging shots with an enemy group only to notice dozens of zombies spilling out of the trees. Next shot aggro's, gentlemen.

2. Cooperative objectives. The best example I've seen yet is having a power plant building feed power to an ammo factory buildling. Each building is held by a different group and they're now forced to negotiate if either group wants the ammo.

3. Friend/Black Lists. You should be able to "recognize" your best friend from a complete stranger. But in DayZ if a player is 10 feet away from you, you have NO idea if he's your buddy or not. Usually you ask your buddy in an external VOIP to prone, and check that the in-game player prones. If you don't have the friend in VOIP there is no solution but to give away your position. It's idiotic.

You should be able to add a teammate to your friend list so if he mouses over you, your tags pop up (should probably add a caveat option where you give your friend tags on mouse-over so long as he too adds you to his friend list and gives you tags on mouse-over). He "recognizes" that it's you. The blacklist would not use tags on mouse-over (as it's game breaking for anyone but your friends to see your tags on mouse-over), but instead colors the username in direct chat/voice (bottom left). Red = a player you've marked as bandit/unfriendly. Orange = a player your friend has marked unfriendly. Yellow = marked unfriendly by a friend of a friend. You could see an actual social fabric develop this way.

Where did I say about punishing PvP? o.O

making the pvp have consequences is a punishment. read my earlier post about how many people would be afraid to pvp because if they get labeled as a bandit, even accidentally then they are screwed out of all player interaction. Or if they were a bandit and decide to play nice for awhile.

[/quote']

[/quote']

THIS ^^^^

The problem is, this mod WASN'T suppose to be a PvP game. The ideal goal is survivors cooperating to survive while there are bandits trying to ROB them not kill them without guilt. and now, they don't even kill them for supplies, they kill them because they're bored. For a full PvP action, other game is suggested, probably arma 2 multiplayer(other than dayz) since they pack of group firefights.

Your completely wrong,. this game is'nt about survival,.. or about pvp,. read rockets post before pushing your own idea of what the game is set out to be.

[/quote']

[/quote']

THIS ^^^^

making the pvp have consequences is a punishment. read my earlier post about how many people would be afraid to pvp because if they get labeled as a bandit, even accidentally then they are screwed out of all player interaction. Or if they were a bandit and decide to play nice for awhile.

Why did you edit out the rest of my post? I already addressed the thing your accusing me of, please read something entirely before posting, your way off and just wrong, I never mentioned anything about bandit skins. /facepalm

The problem is' date=' this mod WASN'T suppose to be a PvP game. The ideal goal is survivors cooperating to survive while there are bandits trying to ROB them not kill them without guilt.[/quote']

You seem to be confusing what you WANT with reality. rocket said from the very get-go that players are, and shall remain, the prime threat in the game. It is primarily a PvP game with zombies and survival mechanics providing a dramatic backdrop.

and now, they don't even kill them for supplies, they kill them because they're bored.

Everyone says this as if a bullet in your head due to necessity somehow kills you in a different way than a bullet in your head due to boredom. You're dead either way, why in the name of all that is good do you care one iota why the person shot you? It makes not one lick of difference. Dead is dead, now get up and try again.

For a full PvP action, other game is suggested, probably arma 2 multiplayer(other than dayz) since they pack of group firefights.

The incredible irony of this is that rocket has suggested that if you are not happy with PvP that there are already zombie themed mods available for ARMA that do not emphasize PvP. So YOU are the one for whom "other game is suggested" I'm afraid.

[/quote']

THIS ^^^^

A video of this this exact thing happening early in the mods life' date=' before everyone became a disconnecting Mary, I also liked the idea of being able to shoot them in the leg to disable them somewhat, currently thats worseless as they can log off.

[/quote']

Why did you edit out the rest of my post? I already addressed the thing your accusing me of, please read something entirely before posting, your way off and just wrong, I never mentioned anything about bandit skins. /facepalm

I didn't edit anything, I replied to your reply. Could be a forum issue. or maybe the person you were replying to edited you. But I replied to your reply.

I started to play it pretending to the be in one of those zombie serials (like The Walking Dead or such...). It was so great that i tought it was the definitive game of all the time, i said to myself: oh man, i'm gonna play this like h24 for the rest of my gaming life.. lol.

I was right, it was exactly like i imagined: i was exploring, i found survivors, we joined to find supplies, to fight those zeds, i passed nights alone in the forest, or with some occasional stranger, then with some more regular players we started to build our micro-society.

After a while the game started to change: the mass come in force, and you started to see ppl spawning and shooting right after 10 seconds (i lived for more than a week before), but luckily it didn't affect much the mood, but one day everything changed: the day they removed the bandit skins.

I remember the first 30 minutes i joined the game after it.. i died at the first encounter, and said: well, it's just a coincidence.. nope, i died again and again and again.. i dind't FOUND A SINGLE person to "talk" to, none were gaving me half second to say: "WAIT I'M FRIENDLY!".

I awaited two days.. then i said: this is too much, so i started to play the death-match myself, it looked like the only way to stay alive, and so my friends. The result? We got bored in 4 days and we abandoned DayZ.

I'm sad because something magnificient, something that i waited for years, a dream comes true, had been transformed into an idiot kids rambo deathmatch in a couple of weeks. That's why i'm still here posting... nor because i need attentions (lol), but because that something will change again in the future to give us back that great esperience i had the first days.

I'm not confident because i recognize to belongs to a minority (kids playing videogames are much much more...), but you never know.

The problem with that is that then you cannot go bandit and it be practical. And you would have issues going from bandit to normal as people would shoot you specifically on sight.

The player is the threat and the zombies are just part of the world. And if so many of the people on these forums are as nice as they say then you should find nice players all the time anyway.

Yeah' date=' i think u meant the bandit skins, and you are right about that. The bandit skin didn't work well, so rocket is making a new system so killing other people would bring consequences.

[/quote']

No, I said what I meant. Bandit skins are a good example of why a consequence system would not work but they aren't the only example. You cannot punish people for playing Althea game a way that you personally. Do not like. I still say that zombies are meant as background noise and players are the threat. They can be nice but you should never ever assume that and in this kind of situation that would hold true. And alot of people are crazy/hyper survivalist and either way they would sooner shoot you than risk it. It fits the game and the overall tone of The world, you don't like dying and I get that. Every time I go to stary. I die and that sucks but I know that there is valuable loot there and people guard it and horde that area l. Its just a fact of the game and its that kind of unique and organic player motivation that makes DayZ interesting.

even the player interaction is organic. I see someone and I have to make some big decisions and in the list of possibilities is just killing some poor bastard and slinking away. Even someone like me, who tries to be friendly, has on occasion just shot someone because I had a bad feeling and it made me feel safer to do that.

Don't take that kind of real and difficult decision from me just because you don't like dying in game.

No one is going to take that decision away from you, i won't like that either. I'm hoping the KOS problem could be solved with several mechanics i just saw in the suggestion forum. But killing spree definitely should be fixed. There are a LOT of people who just kill ppl because there are bored, and i saw a lot of groups who hunts survivors and they don't even loot the bodies, they just KILL them. I'm not saying like a -2000health for each murder, but a suggestion i saw about a mental consequences might work.

But there are more issues. For example it is not right for you to impose your morality system on other people. I have seen bandit camps where bandits group up and ravage the cities then retreat to their camp. This is not how I play and it does not sound like it is how you play but people do group up and some will be more violent than others.

So what if they kill people because they are bored, you can't make everyone be nice to each other and so long as they are not hacking then others have no say in what they do.

You also cannot make everyone play the same way because then all you have are people being nice and imposing and kind of system would, realistically, make people afraid of being a bandit no matter what the consequence is. It is a game about choice and the natural interaction between people in an entirely hostile environment and I think it simulates that very well.

I feel like people make it sound far easier than it is to be a bandit. I usually try to group with people I meet but sometimes you just feel safer killing them, however me shooting you does not guarantee that you will die. I will probably get messed up killing you unless I have the drop on you and then there is the fact that you rarely run into other players anywhere other than towns. So now we have the fact that I might not kill you, you might injure or kill me and then even if I kill you I get to deal with the horde that follows.

I have saved newbies before and taught them the game, form basic controls to how to survive and general rules for approaching towns and do you know what the biggest piece of advice I give is? I say "Do not trust anybody. You are lucky it was me you ran into and not someone that would just shoot you for your gear or for the hell of it." And that brings a kind of real and natural comraderie. If I met them again we would group up and protect one another. I usually try to apporoach players in a cautious and non threatening way but I cannot predict or control you and that risk is part of what makes the game fun and unique.

Yes.. you made a very good point.. I agree the intense thrill and fun would be gone if bandits are gone. I'm just hoping an improved social mechanic would add more cooperative gameplay because that's what i am looking for in this game.

I can count on one hand the # of times I've just been killed outright. Sometimes some one is just prone under a bush despite all odds and gets an easy headshot on you. Yes it's a possibility' date=' but if you run erratically and find good cover when possible, it is almost impossible to get those shots on you. If you're vigilant and cautious you will usually at LEAST see him before he can get a clean shot on you (if not get the jump on him).

[/quote']

I didn't edit anything, I replied to your reply. Could be a forum issue. or maybe the person you were replying to edited you. But I replied to your reply.

This is what the post was before.... -_-

"Where did I say about punishing PvP? o.O I was mainly agreeing with the sentiment that as humans, we should be able to better assess danger, this is how we survive in reality, humans are very adept, usually at detecting danger. In a game that’s about trust vs. paranoia we need more subtle ways to make an assessment of a player on the fly, I’m not saying anything archaic and intrusive like a big red arrow over a hostile player, see my post above about blood on clothing, I guess it covers what I’m trying to say here."

Where did I say about punishing PvP? o.O I was mainly agreeing with the sentiment that as humans' date=' we should be able to better assess danger, this is how we survive in reality, humans are very adept, usually at detecting danger. In a game that’s about trust vs. paranoia we need more subtle ways to make an assessment of a player on the fly, I’m not saying anything archaic and intrusive like a big red arrow over a hostile player, see my post above about blood on clothing, I guess it covers what I’m trying to say here.

[/quote']

How is that any different from bandit skins? To be honest I don't think bandit skins punish PvP, I didn't mind them one bit; but innocent people were getting flagged as bandits due to self defense.

I still think a friend/blacklist for players to manage would offer a lot in this regard. Tags on mouse-over for your friends so they can identify you, and colored usernames in direct chat/voice for threat level (red = you flagged them as bandit, orange = friend flagged them as bandit, yellow = friend of a friend flagged them as bandit). If they're not willing to identify themselves (speak in voice/chat so you can see their name & color in chat console), treat as hostile.

The problem is' date=' this mod WASN'T suppose to be a PvP game. The ideal goal is survivors cooperating to survive while there are bandits trying to ROB them not kill them without guilt. and now, they don't even kill them for supplies, they kill them because they're bored. For a full PvP action, other game is suggested, probably arma 2 multiplayer(other than dayz) since they pack of group firefights.

oh, and please don't make assumptions that ppl making complaints about this are noobs who just get shot alot. I did banditry myself a lot, played in groups, and i made a conclusion that something is wrong here.

[/quote']

You pulled this straight out of your ass. This game is a sandbox, and has always had full PvP. I don't assume that complaints come from noobs, I've seen a couple of really good ideas on improving the social layer of the game. But not from you.

I started to play it pretending to the be in one of those zombie serials (like The Walking Dead or such...). It was so great that i tought it was the definitive game of all the time' date=' i said to myself: oh man, i'm gonna play this like h24 for the rest of my gaming life.. lol.

I was right, it was exactly like i imagined: i was exploring, i found survivors, we joined to find supplies, to fight those zeds, i passed nights alone in the forest, or with some occasional stranger, then with some more regular players we started to build our micro-society.

After a while the game started to change: the mass come in force, and you started to see ppl spawning and shooting right after 10 seconds (i lived for more than a week before), but luckily it didn't affect much the mood, but one day everything changed: the day they removed the bandit skins.

I remember the first 30 minutes i joined the game after it.. i died at the first encounter, and said: well, it's just a coincidence.. nope, i died again and again and again.. i dind't FOUND A SINGLE person to "talk" to, none were gaving me half second to say: "WAIT I'M FRIENDLY!".

I awaited two days.. then i said: this is too much, so i started to play the death-match myself, it looked like the only way to stay alive, and so my friends. The result? We got bored in 4 days and we abandoned DayZ.

I'm sad because something magnificient, something that i waited for years, a dream comes true, had been transformed into an idiot kids rambo deathmatch in a couple of weeks. That's why i'm still here posting... nor because i need attentions (lol), but because that something will change again in the future to give us back that great esperience i had the first days.

I'm not confident because i recognize to belongs to a minority (kids playing videogames are much much more...), but you never know.

[/quote']

I saw this kind of behavior during and after the inclusion of bandit skins. I have found good people before and after and I continue to get attacked by random people both before and after, the only difference is that you don't know who is out to get you and who can be trusted. I like this. However you do raise a good point in saying that many new people are around and they don't seem to understand the mechanics or that being friendly is even an option. With any luck these people will grow bored and leave but again, you cannot make people play the way you want them to. You have to adjust to how other people act and they are unpredictable. I don't think banditry has gone up and the percentage is probably the same, that said the number of players has risen pretty drastically and so the percentage of people just being bandits seems higher based on the higher playerbase. for example 20% of 1,000 is less that 20%100,000.

making the pvp have consequences is a punishment. read my earlier post about how many people would be afraid to pvp because if they get labeled as a bandit' date=' even accidentally then they are screwed out of all player interaction. Or if they were a bandit and decide to play nice for awhile.

[/quote']

This is what the post was before.... -_-

"Where did I say about punishing PvP? o.O I was mainly agreeing with the sentiment that as humans, we should be able to better assess danger, this is how we survive in reality, humans are very adept, usually at detecting danger. In a game that’s about trust vs. paranoia we need more subtle ways to make an assessment of a player on the fly, I’m not saying anything archaic and intrusive like a big red arrow over a hostile player, see my post above about blood on clothing, I guess it covers what I’m trying to say here."

Like I said, I didn't edit it and my response would be the same because I feel that imposing a consequence will be seen by most as a punishment and that a case can easily be made that it is a punishment.

I do see your point to an extent but I think even a subtle change in clothing or something along those lines is still a consequence and can be seen as a punishment.

Let me clarify, anything that changes how the character looks or any thing of that nature will make people afraid to play as "bandits" this is what bandit skins did and I was using them as an example. People would learn what this subtle thing is and you couldn't hide that you have killed. That is a negative consequence and I think it is a bad thing to include.

Maps are way too big to run for hours(Besides' date=' it's unrealistic)

[/quote']

Can you Run to the next town you live by in 5 to 30min? i dont think so the map is very realistic imo hell i live a 10 15 min drive(down highways) to two towns that are near me but it would take me well over 2 hours to walk to the one i know because i have. Mbby we should just add jetpacks or run like the flash to get around cause u know that would be realistic. Find out how to make a car if u want to move fast

The problem is' date=' this mod WASN'T suppose to be a PvP game. The ideal goal is survivors cooperating to survive while there are bandits trying to ROB them not kill them without guilt.[/quote']

You seem to be confusing what you WANT with reality. rocket said from the very get-go that players are, and shall remain, the prime threat in the game. It is primarily a PvP game with zombies and survival mechanics providing a dramatic backdrop.

and now, they don't even kill them for supplies, they kill them because they're bored.

Everyone says this as if a bullet in your head due to necessity somehow kills you in a different way than a bullet in your head due to boredom. You're dead either way, why in the name of all that is good do you care one iota why the person shot you? It makes not one lick of difference. Dead is dead, now get up and try again.

For a full PvP action, other game is suggested, probably arma 2 multiplayer(other than dayz) since they pack of group firefights.

The incredible irony of this is that rocket has suggested that if you are not happy with PvP that there are already zombie themed mods available for ARMA that do not emphasize PvP. So YOU are the one for whom "other game is suggested" I'm afraid.

Now now, i'm not saying the PvP should be removed. Another bad word choice, sorry about that. i just wanted to say that this game wasn't supposed to be mainly PvP. Of course i want the PvP to stay. but the current PvP level is ruining other experience people could have. There should be a balance between PvP and PvE but it's mainly PvP now.

and about the second quote, i already said earlier to not make assumptions that this kind of complaints are made by noobs. I didn't made that conclusion because i was shot by others. I'm was once in a 11 player group who were shooting rocket launchers and grenades to freshly spawned players. As i was playing in that group i saw lots of other groups and i made a conclusion that after ppl get high-end gears, they get bored and just slaughter other players.

Maps are way too big to run for hours(Besides' date=' it's unrealistic)

[/quote']

Can you Run to the next town you live by in 5 to 30min? i dont think so the map is very realistic imo hell i live a 10 15 min drive(down highways) to two towns that are near me but it would take me well over 2 hours to walk to the one i know because i have. Mbby we should just add jetpacks or run like the flash to get around cause u know that would be realistic. Find out how to make a car if u want to move fast

I was saying that running for hours is unrealistic, not the map size

Where did I say about punishing PvP? o.O I was mainly agreeing with the sentiment that as humans' date=' we should be able to better assess danger, this is how we survive in reality, humans are very adept, usually at detecting danger. In a game that’s about trust vs. paranoia we need more subtle ways to make an assessment of a player on the fly, I’m not saying anything archaic and intrusive like a big red arrow over a hostile player, see my post above about blood on clothing, I guess it covers what I’m trying to say here.

[/quote']

How is that any different from bandit skins? To be honest I don't think bandit skins punish PvP, I didn't mind them one bit; but innocent people were getting flagged as bandits due to self defense.

I still think a friend/blacklist for players to manage would offer a lot in this regard. Tags on mouse-over for your friends so they can identify you, and colored usernames in direct chat/voice for threat level (red = you flagged them as bandit, orange = friend flagged them as bandit, yellow = friend of a friend flagged them as bandit). If they're not willing to identify themselves (speak in voice/chat so you can see their name & color in chat console), treat as hostile.

The problem is' date=' this mod WASN'T suppose to be a PvP game. The ideal goal is survivors cooperating to survive while there are bandits trying to ROB them not kill them without guilt. and now, they don't even kill them for supplies, they kill them because they're bored. For a full PvP action, other game is suggested, probably arma 2 multiplayer(other than dayz) since they pack of group firefights.

[/quote']

You pulled this straight out of your ass. This game is a sandbox, and has always had full PvP. I don't assume that complaints come from noobs, I've seen a couple of really good ideas on improving the social layer of the game. But not from you.

Are you really going to make me re-post the whole thing? You are saying that bandit’s shouldn’t be punished. All I said earlier about giving survivors more ways to assess danger, this isn’t going to affect how the bandit wants to play and he can still go around mindlessly killing if he wants, it just means people are less likely to approach him directly.

The first thing I suggested was blood. I’m assuming you want realism from this game right? If you were murdering and looting several people on a daily basis don’t you think that you may get some blood on your clothing? Incase you didn’t know, people bleed a lot when they are shot, this means their weapons, items, the things you just took are going to be covered in blood, how are you going to get this blood off your hands and clothing? It’s not like there are alot of clean clothes in the games, perhaps you should be able to wash them in a lake or at a water pump or something but just think about it logically for a few minutes before replying, if you murder someone and then go through their pockets you’re going to become bloody eventually, it’s not like you can put your clothes in a washing machine or go wash up in a bathroom is it? Anyway I’m ranting, here is the post from earlier, just an idea, better than magical changing skins imo, haven’t given it too much thought though.

"Perhaps mass murders should have blood on their hands, literally...as well as on their clothes, I've seen the washing machines in Chernarus, they are all broken. Someone who kills on a daily basis would probably get their clothes covered in blood eventually I’m sure, perhaps this could be used as a way to identify if someone trustworthy based on looks alone. Let’s face it, in real life we judge people on how they look, how they dress etc. Yet people are saying that’s unrealistic, we should judge them by their actions alone, and that’s a good rule of thumb in a perfect world but our world isn't perfect and neither is Chernarus . People usually judge new people they meet based on appearance alone so I don’t see the problem with having some kind of system attempt that in game. Currently there are only 3 skins, you can’t get a good impression of the player right now, and everyone is very generic. Perhaps if their outfits and clothes were altered in subtle ways to represent the kind of lives they are leading each day, maybe that could work? With side chat on the way out, were going to have one less way to get impressions about the other inhabitants of the server afterall.

Before someone says it, I get that player could also get zombie blood on them technically rendering my idea pointless, and sure that could happen but as the game mechanics change and evolve, I really don’t see the logic in looting a zombie in the first place, in reality would you be ok with eating food that you found on an infected corpse that was carrying a deadly virus? I know I certainly wouldn’t.

The only other instance I can imagine getting zombie blood on myself is if it got close enough to bite or attack me and if Rocket ever makes it for a player to die from the zombie virus then this would be even more reason to not trust someone with blood on their clothes, they were probably bitten or have been looting/eating food from infected also making them a potential carrier of the virus. So blood on their clothes would surely be bad news regardless of how it got there and a visual warning sign regardless of how the blood got there in the first place.

Just a thought off the top of my head anyway."

I'm not confident because i recognize to belongs to a minority (kids playing videogames are much much more...)' date=' but you never know.

[/quote']

First, I'm 34, have a family, a job, a degree and have been a game designer for 10+ years and I love absolutely every aspect of PvP as it currently stands in the game so you can take your "kids" talk and stuff it, quite frankly. You think you're a better person than me because you choose to play this game in a different way? More mature? More refined? What a ridiculous load of bunk.

AI's are easy to beat. They always have been - unless they cheat. Whether it's an action game like Quake or a board game like chess, backgammon, etc. an AI is never as clever or ruthless as a human enemy. That is why DayZ is compelling. I've fought AI zombies all my life. Do we really need another Resident Evil? I've been there and done that. AI's are predictable, slow to react and poor at adapting to new strategies. Humans, on the other hand? They are great at all those things. Some of them, anyway.

Everything in DayZ down to picking up a can of beans is made more intense and interesting due to the presence of unrestricted PvP. Every breath could be your last. Every moment your last on Earth. Your actions have meaning. Your survival every day is more meaningful because of the presence of murderers. If you want to survive longer than the fabeled 29 minutes, you're going to have to take the human element into account. Prepare ahead of time. Plan. Scout. Carefully avoid other players or engage them on YOUR terms instead of theirs. All of these things require more cunning, skill and intelligence than fighting a bunch of mindless AI zombies ever will or could.

What. Ev. Er. This is such ridiculous hokey nonsense. When bandit skins were still enabled, I died 10x as often to survivors in basic gear with a makarov than I ever did to anyone wearing the skin - and some of the nicest people I met up with and ran with for days on end who helped me learn the game and the map and geared me up were all bandits to a man. I had the bandit skin myself 3 times - twice because people shot at me and missed, and once because I caught someone trying to steal my car.

The bandit skin was a forced, lazy, broken-ass mechanic that never accomplished anything and you are delusional if you think its removal somehow changed the game overnight. Straight delusional.

The Apocalypse wouldn't be a slow paced death match how?

Seriously, I understand the urging for more direction and I'm certainly for it as well. But this game is literally a sandbox, its what we make of it that emerges the game play.

In real life when people tend to die a lot moving to other locations they decided, lets not send people there any more. So what do you do? Find a group of people and make a camp. Claim a place of land and patrol it.

Everyone thinks they need to raid the NW Barracks or Stary Sobor to 'win' the game. Thing is no. NW Barracks and SS are just confrontational locations. The risk of getting killed there is higher than anywhere else.

In anycase this isn't a 'game' its a skeleton of an idea. A concept of certain gameplay elements. If you want to have an impact on where this game goes then continue playing, and beyond that, make an impact!

How come every single thread like this ends up with like 10 pages of people spewing the same garbage over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and

over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and... don't you guys get tired of typing the same shit?

0/10

0/10

Says the server admin who defends his use of the word "faggot" as no big deal and totally funny.

Ooo, I have an idea. Go fuck yourself.