Sign in to follow this  
INickeragua

Is it really worth it?

Does anyone think that switching my server to a private hive would be worth it? It only costs $5 more than what I am paying at the moment, but is it even worth the switch? What are some pros and cons of a private hive? Thanks to anyone that can help me decide.

If it's on Vilayer,,, you have the option to set how many vehicles spawn, add side chat (Global chat) if you'd like, switch between chernarus and lingor, I'll get my friend who runs a server to add more when he's awake.

Pros = more control, less hackers, potential for better PvE

Cons = If everyone does this it potentially could destroy the game. Harder work to populate it and build a stable user base. Gear you aquire on this server is only on this server (which is why its harder to build a decent and stable user base).

Pros = more control, less hackers, potential for better PvE

Cons = If everyone does this it potentially could destroy the game. Harder work to populate it and build a stable user base. Gear you aquire on this server is only on this server (which is why its harder to build a decent and stable user base).

Well, Vilayer hosts a private hive and also hosts the main hive. All of the DayZChernarus servers are the Vilayer private hive, and all their servers share that private hive.

I use HFB servers. Still not too sure if I should. What Box said about the weapons only being on that server never even crossed my mind. :| Guess I have a lot to think about.

Well, Vilayer hosts a private hive and also hosts the main hive. All of the DayZChernarus servers are the Vilayer private hive, and all their servers share that private hive.

If HFB has what Vilayer does where all the servers share the private hive I will probably buy it. If not then I may switch from HFB to Vilayer.

Paying for a private hive is a bad idea lol.

The software is free, the game is free, so why would one pay for it?

Paying for a official server i can understand as it has to connect to the main DB.

But paying for a private hive is, in my oppinion, the same as throwing money out of the window mate.

Some people will try to make money off of you for no reason, as they do here lol.

AND as the private hive is local, you dont need half the bandwith for private hive, compared to the official hive, as it has A LOT less information going back and forth.

Edited by Byrgesen

Paying for a private hive is a bad idea lol.

The software is free, the game is free, so why would one pay for it?

Paying for a official server i can understand as it has to connect to the main DB.

But paying for a private hive is, in my oppinion, the same as throwing money out of the window mate.

Some people will try to make money off of you for no reason, as they do here lol.

AND as the private hive is local, you dont need half the bandwith for private hive, compared to the official hive, as it has A LOT less information going back and forth.

When Both Atomic servers are full, our dedicated box has a solid 12mbps in bandwidth usage. Two private hives on 1 dedicated server.

We would run 1 server if the software wasn't as shoddy as it is, requiring multiple resets a day just to maintain performance despite our good hardware.

Make sure your on a 1gbps connection if you want to host something good.

I have a pretty crappy connection here, so hosting my own is completely out of the picture, My connection sometimes gets so bad that I have to wait around 3 mins just to buffer a youtube video, and begin watching.

When Both Atomic servers are full, our dedicated box has a solid 12mbps in bandwidth usage. Two private hives on 1 dedicated server.

We would run 1 server if the software wasn't as shoddy as it is, requiring multiple resets a day just to maintain performance despite our good hardware.

Make sure your on a 1gbps connection if you want to host something good.

Thats a pretty intense network lol.

when i have 20-25 people online i NEVER get above 600 kbps on router traffic, so i have no issue here at all.

we have had 30 online at one point and it did go alittle over 1 mbps. Got 30/30 mb connection so its all good :)

EDIT:

Right now ive got 7 users online and the traffic monitor isnt even above 200 kbps yet, just fyi :)

and ive got some american users aswell, never above 300 ping ingame, infact most are stabil at 150-200 and the server is located in Denmark, so id say its nice.

Edited by Byrgesen

I have started to play on a private hive myself, and I enjoy it much more than the public hive so far. It has good and active admins, vehicles out of bounds are automatically deleted, it is bannable to combat log or dupe and it has many regulars (there's often ~40 players on it). When there's cheaters causing problems on the server, they are usually quickly dealt with and the server rolled back to restore everyone's lost progress.

It is like playing DayZ the way it was meant to be played. Not all about duping the shit out of high-end gear, heading to a hotspot to camp with an AS50 and ALT+F4 the second you hear a shot from a Makarov or a footstep, which is basically what DayZ on the public hive is all about at the moment.