Sign in to follow this  
decoman

Why does the nose of the helicopter in DayZ want to level with the horizon?

After playing with ArmA 2 Boot Camp and flying the transport mission there, it seem clear to me that the helicopter in DayZ behaves differently and I wonder if anyone else have noticed the similar thing.

The problem with flying a helicopter in Dayz is that the nose of the helicopter seem to level with the horizon when flying forwards. I believe this is not so with the flying in boot camp.

In DayZ I have to keep moving my mouse to compensate for the nose wanting to level with the horison and this seem tedious.

Edited by Treehugger

Im not the only one! Yea I noticed it too. I started using both the mouse and W and S keys for controlling the dive pitch.

Seems fine to me, turn auto-hover off after taking off each time.

It is not Auto-Hover. Auto-Hover makes it almost impossible to to move in any one direction without the helicopter correcting itself. The OP and others NOT blaming are talking about a slow gradual rise in the nose of the helicopter to the point where if left to its own devices will eventually bring the helicopter to a stop. It is very annoying and if you are traveling a large distance, it can be quite bothersome. Generally to keep the heli at the same angle I want, I have to tap the down nose key once every second or two.

It does do it even when autohover is disabled, but not uncontrollably. Just a quirk of the controls you need to get used to.

An important point I think is that the helicopter in ArmA 2 boot camp behaves differently and I would argue that there seem to be some kind of eh "bug" or unwanted feature here.

(Edit: Yes, this is Arma2: OA)

Edited by Treehugger

Depending on whether you are using Arma 2 basic boot camp or Operation Arrowhead's boot camp you may be flying using simply Arma 2 features. In DayZ you are always flying with the added features of Operation Arrowhead. Perhaps they altered the flight mechanics.

no it's realistic, helicopters fly like that in real life, too. problem is we're playing with analog inputs so we're constantly having to tilt the nose down, whereas in real life you'd just have to keep the joystick tilted forwards slightly without constant readjustment.

• Like 1

No, the two helicopters weren't the same, but the controls seem so different I wouldn't think of it having to do with any particular helicopter model.