Sign in to follow this  
waphlez

Inventory/Backpack Space Utilization

I posted this before but it quickly got lost due to the rollback

If you look at the current space requirements for various items/weapons in the game, I think it's quite clear there is some inconsistency and some that just flat-out make zero sense, as illustrated from this image.

I propose a sweeping overhaul of the inventory space, in particular for various weapons. The advantages would be improved realism, as well as giving advantages to weapons that are inherent to their design. What I mean by that last statement, is that one of the primary advantages of weapons like the M4A1 and the AKS-74u is their smaller size compared to their standard counter-parts. Other weapons such as SMGs are utilized for their small size as well. In addition, some of the more powerful weapons like the LMGs (M249/M240), the heavy rifles (M107 and AS50), and heavy ordnance (rocket launchers) have the inherit disadvantage of being cumbersome and hard to carry around.

A specific annoyance (as seen in the link above) is that sidearms/flashlights currently take up a lot of backpack space. Take the Makarov PM for example, is a very small firearm, 5 slots is way too much.

----------------------------------

This is what I suggest:

Standard primary weapons will still take the 10 backpack slots as they currently do, this includes:

Crossbow (fairly short, but also very wide, maybe 9 slots?)

Winchester 1866

Remington 870

M1014

AK-74 (and other variants)

AKM

FN FAL (both versions)

Lee Enfield

M16A2 (and other variants)

M14 AIM

All non .50 sniper rifles

Smaller assault rifles take 8 slots:

M4A1 (and other variants)

AK-74u

L85A2 (bullpup design = more compact)

SMGs take 6 slots except maybe MP5SD, as it's a bit longer

Sidearms should take 2 slots (maybe 3 for M9 SD due to length, and PDW for its generally larger size)

The .50 cal sniper rifles should take 14-15 slots (they're pretty fucking huge)

As for the LMGs, their ammo already takes up two slots, but then again you don't need more than 2 boxes really. So I'll say 10-11 for M249/Mk 48, and 12-14 for the M240 as it's a very big weapon.

The M136 already requires 6 slots (I believe) to store the rockets, so 10 slots seems reasonable (Hopefully the RPG-7 will be added sometime).

Now, I used wikipedia to find the length of the various weapons as a general metric, though I know there are other features of a weapon that define its portability, so some weapons that are very long but otherwise not as heavy (like the Lee and Winchester) shouldn't take the same space as a M107 for example. Another thing I haven't considered though it is possible to reflect is weapons with collapsible stocks, even if ArmA II doesn't allow to use them collapsed or not (at least not to my knowledge), storing them in a pack could take even less space since it would be assumed that the stock was collapsed when put in your pack.

----------------------------------

Now, this can complicate the game up a bit more, so maybe have the option to display the size of the weapon. This is further complicated since storage containers will eat your weapon/item if it does not have space for it. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future patch (maybe display white text like it does when you try and pick up a car part without room). Swapping weapons of different sizes will also bring up this issue. Again, if this is fixed in a patch then having varying sizes of weapons shouldn't be a big concern.

Also would be nice if weight had an effect on how tired you get.

I don't mind the space, but having items disappear when there is not enough room for them is a huge headache.

The back pack system sucks, not even close to being realistic.

You ever notice the magazine in your weapon still takes up space in your pack? Dumb.

You would not want to put a rifle in your back pack it should be slung. Or strapped to the outside of the pack. Like it is now. However most rifles would never fit in a pack. Tactical packs would have the space for one rifle or shot gun to be strapped to it.

Holster, now thats fucking novel, why the fuck don't we have holsters? Tactical leg holster, on tactical vest holster, for the Rambo types two leg holsters. Pistols take up two spaces in a pack at the most.

Tactical vests?

Molle gear pouches adds to tactical vest to carry more items, ammo pouches, shot gun shells, grenade pouches, pistol magazine pouches and medical pouches so bandages stop taking up fucking pistol magazine slots.

plus 1 on different-sized weapons (I am waiting for the saw-off shot-gun:))

plus 1 STAR on getting tired and slowing down due to overweight

As I have said many times before: the ENTIRE inventory systems needs a heavy duty remake, it really does not work at all.

i don't agree with the tiredness due to overweight, just because it needs a very complex system.

if you are carrying 70kg of gear, you will become tired very fast on the first day, but your energy will last much longer on the 10th day. you will just familiarize with the weight...

then if you move from 70kg of gear to 10kg, you would be much faster than that one who always carried 10kg.

As someone stated, most weapons would be strapped out of the bag. But yes, the inventory system needs an overhaul.

Czech vest + bag + holster + gun straps, all of these could be at the same time.

As someone stated' date=' most weapons would be strapped out of the bag. But yes, the inventory system needs an overhaul.

Czech vest + bag + holster + gun straps, all of these could be at the same time.

[/quote']

Well, I think the important thing is to reflect the advantages of smaller weapons and the disadvantages of large weapons. I went up a deer stand and found an AK-74 and an AKS-74u, since the only advantage of the 74u is better turning in buildings there was really no reason to take it over the AK-74, since it's compact design is virtually neglected in the game atm.

As for strapping outside the bag, I understand the idea behind it but for gameplay purposes I'm fine with them taking backpack slots as long as my pistol stops taking 25% of my ALICE pack.

I propose this idea:

Standard body equipment slots similar to that of an MMO.

This would mean you could either have certain carrying devices in place of potential armor (rumor states these as being something added). For example you have a bullet proof vest (small arms only for obvious reasons) or the option to wear a carrying vest with more slots. This would help to improve the game as well as give us more custom options. As a Medic you may choose the slotted vest over armor protection. This could also change the look of a character. So a Medic vest would stand out and thus either make them a target for bandits or allow bandits to not kill them and ask for medical aid (In theory).

I would love to see an item such as 'sling' added to help with this system. I'm okay with not being able to carry multiple weapons and easily swap them at first. But i would like that option (even if it takes me finding a very rare item) to have a hot swap of the rifles. I mean, if you pull out the pistol, what is the animation? He slings that rifle over the shoulder.

In many other Arma mods, there is ability to have multiple rifles at once.

As for weapons themselves, original intent, i believe, was that heavy sniper rifles were supposed to take up your backpack space, so you wouldnt even be able to fit it in your backpack, plus you would lose your backpack, as penalty for taking it. (which i am totally fine with, btw)

I am with you on the idea of sidearms being shrunk.. there is no reason to have that flashlight/pistol take up half the space of the full sized rifle, when they're about the size of road flares ;)

How about the 'vest pouch' acting as your expansion for the magazine/bandage slots, and have you be able to put not only pistol, but rifle mags in there?

i don't agree with the tiredness due to overweight' date=' just because it needs a very complex system.

if you are carrying 70kg of gear, you will become tired very fast on the first day, but your energy will last much longer on the 10th day. you will just familiarize with the weight...

then if you move from 70kg of gear to 10kg, you would be much faster than that one who always carried 10kg.

[/quote']

sorry, but you apparently don't have a clue. having done that with HALF that weight I can tell you that in a week your knees will be nearly destroyed and you will hardly be able to carry anything at all.

at 35-38kg weight (without rifle) running and crawling should be impossible. Having said that the entire inventory system would need to redone so that a bandage does not "weigh" (or take the same slot as a ) a 30 round 7.62mm mag.

At the moment the entire system is heavily out of wack. Surprising, really, given that Rocket did all kinds of light infantry stuff.

I propose this idea:

Standard body equipment slots similar to that of an MMO.

This would mean you could either have certain carrying devices in place of potential armor (rumor states these as being something added). For example you have a bullet proof vest (small arms only for obvious reasons) or the option to wear a carrying vest with more slots. This would help to improve the game as well as give us more custom options. As a Medic you may choose the slotted vest over armor protection. This could also change the look of a character. So a Medic vest would stand out and thus either make them a target for bandits or allow bandits to not kill them and ask for medical aid (In theory).

plus one.

ps: present-day class III body Armour actually will protect against AK-fire.

if you are carrying 70kg of gear' date=' you will become tired very fast on the first day, but your energy will last much longer on the 10th day. you will just familiarize with the weight...

[/quote']

If you carry 70kg on day 1, you'll die of exhaustion before day 10.

i don't agree with the tiredness due to overweight' date=' just because it needs a very complex system.

[/quote']

Okay, yes I am familiar with conditioning, but the reason it feels easier to move is because your body understands how much force to exert to do things like getting up, crawling, etc. but it doesn't actually mean you're exerting any less work. You may condition yourself to wear heavy gear, and you may make your body stronger, but it WILL fatigue your body a lot more than light gear. Especially something like 70kg.