John Spectre

Too many sniper rifles

Even taking into account the possibility that the military force dispatched to deal with the infected threat knew about what they where going up against, the ratio of sniper teams to regular infantry type soldiers is not as high what is represented by the amount of snipers in play in DayZ.

I'll make this short and to the point, not taking into account the fact that running thru the bush and being battered by zombies isn't the best way to keep an incredibly precise weapon... well precise... The point is, its not the Bandits, its the snipers.

Roving bands of bandits with assault rifles, shot guns etc are cool, lets face it, they add a lot to the excitement of the game. Lone snipers on every hilltop, and every high building and tower picking off anything and everything in sight, not even bothering to loot, adds very, very little to the game.

Cut back the spawn chance of Sniper rifles for the stand alone! They should be exceedingly rare, finnicky to maintain, and sought after by other PvPers.

any thoughts?

• Like 13

Roving bands of bandits with assault rifles, shot guns etc are cool, lets face it, they add a lot to the excitement of the game. Lone snipers on every hilltop, and every high building and tower picking off anything and everything in sight, not even bothering to loot, adds very, very little to the game.

Cut back the spawn chance of Sniper rifles for the stand alone! They should be exceedingly rare, finnicky to maintain, and sought after by other PvPers.

You have my beans!

I think a lot of fixes to the game are going to rely on the stand-alone fixing the hacking/exploiting epidemic... e.g. atm snipers currently are pretty rare according to the game rules, but farming/duping/not-losing-gear kind of breaks that.

Edited by ActionMan
  • Like 3

So snipe the sniper locations. Kill the snipers. It's easy. I do it all the time. There is so many that it's easy to do. Sniper hill in Elektro...toss a hand grenade up there. They won't be able to target you easily if you don't kill them with the grenade first. Hell, be creative. Set a satchel charge or two on the bottom of one of the sniper buildings and blow it up and watch the sniper free fall to his death.

So snipe the sniper locations. Kill the snipers. It's easy. I do it all the time. There is so many that it's easy to do. Sniper hill in Elektro...toss a hand grenade up there. They won't be able to target you easily if you don't kill them with the grenade first. Hell, be creative. Set a satchel charge or two on the bottom of one of the sniper buildings and blow it up and watch the sniper free fall to his death.

true, but don't forget to snipe the sniper sniping locations, and while your at it, make sure to set up anti-anti-sniper sniping spots.

Or, perhaps cut down the amount of them so when you hear a thunderous boom and your buddies head explodes, your yelling 'f*$king hell! Sniper!" over TS. not just, "aw I'm dead again..."

Its not what it is, its how much of it there is.

• Like 2

I think you're missing the point that the spawn chance of snipers is already quite low. There is a large amount of them out there because of duping, scripting, alt f4 and server hopping to farm. Most of this will be fixed in the stand alone hopefully but there's always going to be groups of people who farm weapons have them stockpiled.

You're just going to have to get used to it and see how the stand alone turns out. You know the snipers are there so stay in cover more and you won't die. Or you know, avoid Elektro and Cherno all together and then you won't really have a sniper problem.

Or...remove the snipers UNTIL the standalone and then put them back in and see what happens. We already know how sniper rifles work in the Alpha. Get rid of them and see what happens to gameplay without them.

• Like 2

Remove one of the most important parts of the game? You're kidding right? Do you know how many players would just stop playing if snipers were removed?

Player vs Player is a HUGE part (at the moment really the only part) of this game and snipers play a key role in this.

You really need to stop complaining about snipers and start learning how to deal with them. Check key sniper points, stick to walls, move randomly not in a straight line.

• Like 1

Its not what it is, its how much of it there is.

Quanity to Quality. Not a good philosophy.

How about this

Rifles, shotguns, pistols and melee weapons.

Have the best weapon magnification in-game not go over 4x.

It feels like I'm playing a less fun version of Sniper Elite (as if I'd ever think that was possible.

i think most the people with sniper rifles have them because of a hacker gave an entire room them (AS50)

as for me, in terms of sniper rilfes, in my 18 hours of gameplay, i had found one CZ550 (after 12 hours of gameplay, and lots of random looting) with one mag, and never found any more ammo for it, and a DMR in a random tent with 3 mags, i was able to find abother 2 mags at the NW airfield.

They are pretty hard to find, its just with hackers giving them away to every one, it makes it easier.

What a pussytalking thread this is all I hear is bohoo im to stupid to look beyond 300 meters ahead of me an plan acconrdingly meh......Ties ies tooh haaard pliese nearffffffffffffffffff

God this is becomming pathectic. If you need to be somehwere were snipers are pitch a tent strip down to bare minimum and charge. If i were a dumbskull Id prolly parade into cherno dancing around showing everybody my new coyote backpack too whils polishing my crashed helicopter "Precious" weapons with just too little clips for it to fight someone off who eyeballs it.....

Then sir(s) Id prolly cry like little bitches too.......

untill then....grow a pair, drink more mountain dew ,and suck it up forest keep them leggs running...

• Like 1

I don't think it would be sensible to remove them, although I would favour lowering the spawn rates of many weapons in order to increase the time you spent without any effective medium range weapon. This isn't something the ARMA-Engine is designed for, and given the issues with getting infected it is also not something you'd generally want to do in a zombie apocalypse, but it would feel much more authentic. Right now, the amount of guns found in Chernarus rivals the US, which is quite unrealistic. In most places, the amount of weapons you tend to find is fairly low and would be ever decreasing.

I would add a couple of military caches, though, more or less like the heli crash sites already implemented, which contain MREs, weapons, ammunition and other stuff lugged into the combat zone when there was still an organized effort to fight the zombies. These would be much more "realistic" sources of mil-spec hardware and make it correspondingly rarer. The rare AKM and Makarov, as well as a wide range of other low-tier weapons should turn up every now and then in civilian houses, businesses and airports, but not at the current rate. I would convert the barracks to a regular spawn and have a random weapons cache spawn point nearby that would sometimes spawn or not. The only sniper rifles that should be semi-common should be hunting rifles and other "civilian" rifles appropriate with optics.

• Like 2

What a pussytalking thread this is all I hear is bohoo im to stupid to look beyond 300 meters ahead of me an plan acconrdingly meh......Ties ies tooh haaard pliese nearffffffffffffffffff

God this is becomming pathectic. If you need to be somehwere were snipers are pitch a tent strip down to bare minimum and charge. If i were a dumbskull Id prolly parade into cherno dancing around showing everybody my new coyote backpack too whils polishing my crashed helicopter "Precious" weapons with just too little clips for it to fight someone off who eyeballs it.....

Then sir(s) Id prolly cry like little bitches too.......

untill then....grow a pair, drink more mountain dew ,and suck it up forest keep them leggs running...

hmm, I don't see anyone crying about snipers, demanding they are banned etc etc... The most common response I see from PvPers regarding issues like this is something like 'suck it up' etc etc... You seem to be missing the point. Its not the sniper rifle itself, its the fact that they are everywhere, which is dull.

I think PvP is awesome, especially in a scenario like this, however you have to admit that the type of weapons available is going to change how the game is played. I for one, want interesting firefights, which reward organization and skill (if its a team) or patience and intelligence etc... if its a lone sniper.

So then, why not have tactical nukes? Stop being a bitch, if you want to go to cherno just strip down while I launch a ICBM at you, you may survive. what? don't like PvP?

The argument gets ridiculous.

Balance the tools available to everyone in such a way as to make the game as interesting (read: not safe/easy) for everyone.

I want firefights with a dude rocking an LMG to suppress while his buddies with AKs pick off targets and the guy witht he shotty rushes and starts blasting, with a sniper on overwatch.

not 5 guys ;with sniper rifles pausing from sprinting to take a knee and snap shots at 600-800m, or worse yet just sitting around a city playing shoot-the-noob.

That is just me, but I think a lot of people agree. If everybody is using the exact same tool, what does that say??? think about it.

I do see that some of this is the result of hacks and duping, and my hope is Rocket can rectify that situation at the least.

• Like 1

So you've never been to stary PvP have you? That can get pretty intense up there with gang vs gang firefights. Lots of planning and teamwork. It seems you're just sitting in Cherno/Elektro getting shot down by the lone wolfs. Get out of the main cities and go north in a group.

• Like 1

Yah I'm pretty new, no I havent been to stary for PvP.

I've also never been sniped. I've got a brain, I watch my angles and I'm careful. Doesn't mean I don't see the trend of this game. Doesn't mean I don't want to try to improve it.

That being said, I've got not thing against trying that out.

Edited by John Spectre
  • Like 1

Thing is, it's overpowered. I'm totally okay with high powered rifles but the whole ranging+zeroing (which often take a few seconds and can be done by a single player) isnt difficult enough.

Someone else said it MUCH better than I am right now.

Wind, at the very least, should be a factor.

Would make sniping harder.

Even then, depending on the rifle, accuracy shouldn't be spot on at greater ranges.

In Cherno or Elektro, looting anything near a window is a gamble.

DayZ should play somewhat like a zombie apocalypse. With group raiding, backstabbing and people being dicks.

Now, people kill just to kill.

DayZ is fun when few people treat it as Deathmatch.

• Like 3

Thing is, it's overpowered. I'm totally okay with high powered rifles but the whole ranging+zeroing (which often take a few seconds and can be done by a single player) isnt difficult enough.

Someone else said it MUCH better than I am right now.

Wind, at the very least, should be a factor.

Would make sniping harder.

Even then, depending on the rifle, accuracy shouldn't be spot on at greater ranges.

In Cherno or Elektro, looting anything near a window is a gamble.

DayZ should play somewhat like a zombie apocalypse. With group raiding, backstabbing and people being dicks.

Now, people kill just to kill.

DayZ is fun when few people treat it as Deathmatch.

good post. true

Remove one of the most important parts of the game? You're kidding right? Do you know how many players would just stop playing if snipers were removed?

Player vs Player is a HUGE part (at the moment really the only part) of this game and snipers play a key role in this.

You really need to stop complaining about snipers and start learning how to deal with them. Check key sniper points, stick to walls, move randomly not in a straight line.

TBH I'd put money on the player count dropping if item duping and ammo refilling was fixed. Most of these snipers just server hop wih infinite ammo, they'd be useless if they actually had to play the game...

PvP is not intended as a huge part of the game, this fucked up community full of MW3 rejects has made it that way...

• Like 2

Cmon, really? You think people would quit if they couldn't get easy kills at 500m plus with minimal skill due to their uber gear?

On the other side of that coin, how many people do you think have already had an "I'm leaving DayZ forever" tantrum over being sniped over and over again before learning how to avoid it?

Would you really have a cry if rocket took away your anti-vehicle rifle? If so, perhaps you should quit DayZ and instead play, I dunno... maybe Arma2?

PvP would be a lot more fun if the only snipers were the Enfield and the CZ.

Hell, if most guns were rusty and had bad accuracy and occasionally jammed, then PvP would be even more fun -- fights might last longer than the first shot.

To go with the scavenging theme, it would be epic to have to slowly assemble an enfield plus scope and then maintain it over time in order to posses the power of a sniper.

If you've ever played Arma at all, then PvP is way too easy at the moment, and if you're an Arma/DayZ newbie, then PvP is way too hard.

Edited by ActionMan

Cmon, really? You think people would quit if they couldn't get easy kills at 500m plus with minimal skill due to their uber gear?

PvP would be a lot more fun if the only snipers were the Enfield and the CZ.

yes imagine seeing the people you kill and geting a shot fired at you. knowing there is a chance the guy your going to kill may get you instead. thats a thrill. not shooting someone from 500m away or more. then logging off changing server and clearing chern there. then again server hopping to the next. why why why what is the point

People have too much of a stiffy for those damn sniper rifles. I hate snipers. Even when I get my hands on one I drop it for the first assault rifle I find. Romantized one-shot-one-kill bullcrap. I agree, man. Cut back on the sniper rifles. It would make the game a lot more fun.

1. PVP is important.
  2. Snipers make PVP easy.
  3. Ergo, snipers are one of the most important parts of the game!

Your logic. It does not compute. You don't need -- I'm sorry, let me rephrase that. Sniper rifles aren't necessary for PVP.

On a side note, I've only ever been effectively sniped twice since I started playing this game. Two times. And those were on coastal spawns. I'm not afraid of snipers. I just know they're fucking up the game for other people. It's called empathy and awareness of the consequences of the game design and how players exploit it. You're most likely defending snipers because you're a sniper. I've never carried an M107 for longer than a half hour before ditching it for a decent assault rifle because of how ridiculous it is. Which one of us is crying harder, the one of us who isn't even affected by snipers or the one of us who is actually doing the sniping?

But go ahead. QQ because you can't PEWPEW without a particular gun.

• Like 3