Sign in to follow this  
GreenWins

Buy now or wait for stand alone?

I'm trying to decide if I should just buy the mod or just wait for the stand alone.

I think the stand alone is suppose to come out september right?

Any insight would be nice.

Buy mod, it will give you some before hand experience, then you'll be pro at Standalone, hah ;D

Keep in mind, you wont be buying a standalone GAME, you will be buying the right to play the standalone ALPHA. I think a lot of people are expecting to see a finished game this year....which isn't going to happen.

Personally, Id wait for the stand alone at this point. The game can be fun but to many things are not working properly (such as tents and vehicles and ghosting and alt-f4ing and hackers) to really justify buying Arma II just to play this mod.

So if you plan to play Arma II and enjoy that game aswell, then yes buy it. If your just buying it for this mod, its not worth it right now.

But that is just my humble opinion. Remember, your paying for Arma II: OA, do not trick yourself into thinking you are buying Day Z, and then get angry if you dislike the mod.

Also What Systemik ^^^^^^ said

Edited by Sparks
  • Like 1

Keep in mind, you wont be buying a standalone GAME, you will be buying the right to play the standalone ALPHA. I think a lot of people are expecting to see a finished game this year....which isn't going to happen.

Yeah, I'm expecting the stand alone alpha. So stand alone is coming november that is a pretty long wait =(

Kind of a borderline time to buy with the standalone so close. I personally would probably jump in straight away and start playing with hindsight. Gives you an idea of how the game plays. That said, expect to be killed by hackers frequently and don't expect too much, the mod is seriously lacking in content.

I would say buy it now, but there are just so many hackers and exploiters in the game (beyond CoD, APB, and Combat Arms terms) that I don't think anyone outside of the DayZ loop could handle it without slow exposure to it over time.

I'd wait. Even if you might enjoy it, the mod just has alot of problems that probably wouldn't be worth it for new players anymore. Wait for the standalone, which will hopefully be abit more stable all around than the mod and start from there, unless you can just get ARMA2 for like 10 bucks or less and then it probably doesn't matter lol

You'd be buying a good mil-sim though with tons of fun with other mods and the editor.

• Like 1

Personally, Id wait for the stand alone at this point. The game can be fun but to many things are not working properly (such as tents and vehicles and ghosting and alt-f4ing and hackers) to really justify buying Arma II just to play this mod.

So if you plan to play Arma II and enjoy that game aswell, then yes buy it. If your just buying it for this mod, its not worth it right now.

But that is just my humble opinion. Remember, your paying for Arma II: OA, do not trick yourself into thinking you are buying Day Z, and then get angry if you dislike the mod.

Also What Systemik ^^^^^^ said

Agreed. If you want to try DayZ and also enjoy what Arma2 has to offer then buy. Arma2 is a great game. DayZ is a great mod but not working so well in it's current form as a mod for Arma2.

The scripters are what really kills it at this point. Scripting is what makes Arma2 a great game. Scripting is what allows mission makers to create the great military sim combat missions and all the other few dozen mods that are out there for Arma2.

DayZ has become so popular though that even a tiny proportion of the 1.1 million players using the built in scripting ability in the wrong way is destroying all of the fun and challenge of DayZ. Arma2 is a trusting game engine that until DayZ, relied on a mature and ethical gaming community.

Wait for the stand alone if you want DayZ only. If you want to play a great military sim game and a bit of DayZ on the side, then buy it.

From my personal experience:

Buy it only if you know there we be at least 1 other person playing with you at all times and if you have the guts to play this game. But be prepared face tons of bugs, crappy net-code and hacker-fests.

You'd be buying a good mil-sim though with tons of fun with other mods and the editor.

This

If you're looking for something a little more casual then the long hardcore Arma 2 sessions you can check out CERBERUS 5

it's a PvP server that plays several modes, Advance and Secure [Like Battlefield], TDM, DM, CTF....etc.

Filter "C5" in your server browser. Games start in the evening every night around 7pm PST.

Other mods and addons are available here: http://www.armaholic.com

quite honestly, i cant imagine that a game announced 2 months ago will be done in november. cant help the feeling that it will be rushed and buggy/bad. take your damn time to do it properly.

props if it will be finished by the end of the year and polished, however.

edit: arma2 is a pretty solid game and when you learn how to play, can entertain for weeks. so i suggest you buy both

Edited by vlko

Up to you really OP, the mod does have lots of issues, but it is still very fun.

Depending on how your finances are, I'd just get both.

Wait for TheWarZ that will be better than the standalone which basically will be the same as the mod right now, while TheWarZ will come out BEFORE standalone and is inspired of DayZ minus all the bugs/glitches/cheats.

The best we can hope for as a standalone is before end of the year, what ever state it is in. That could be as late as December. (Sep/Nov releases have little to no chance of happening)

As far as worth buying. Take advise from those who mention Playing ARMA without the mod. If you think you will enjoy that, get it for sure. There are plenty of game play videos for it you can find.

It also depends on your expectations and patience levels. The problems in the game are pretty annoying right now. While some can handle them others cannot. Only you know what you can take.

If you play, play it for the fun and have no attachments.

Best of luck in your decisions. :D

don't buy arma 2 for the mod. It's a joke now, game is dead. Nothing but hackers. Wait for the stand alone unless you want a hardcore military sim in which you would want to download the ACE mod. The ACE mod makes this game worth every penny.

As much as I love playing I'd say wait for the standalone alpha build, it won't be finished but at least hacker free, for a while at least. At present you really can't play the long game, so it's more a pvp fest around the towns. Your bound to lose out to some hacker sooner ot later.