Lonewolf5764

Death every time I get something nice

So, the title pretty much explains it. EVERY time I get something I die immediately afterwards. Literally, My friend gave me camo Clothing and an Ak with one clip, so I went to elektro, found ANOTHER ak, put it in the alice pack I found and started walking away and BOOM headshot. Nobody cares if you say friendly, Everyone shoots on sight. I literally have wanted to delete this game twice now, because every PVP encounter I have ever had has been me dying almost instantly. The only time I had a fighting chance is when I walked up behind someone (right after dying mind you) and I had a double barrel from a lucky barn spawn, Aimed to kill, realized I needed to reload, and he turned around and started shooting. So I ran and jumped off the building... I don't know what I'm getting at, Maybe asking for a team, or advice.. I have a skype and all so a team would be cool. It just sucks that I have never gone 10 minutes without death after getting something good

Soon as you get some gear together take off north. Staying in big cities is a good way to get killed.

• Like 1

Do what I do: Run around up north and eat animals. Look around in the woods, see what you can find. If you find wheels, it's showtime! Die in a blaze of automotive glory, rinse, repeat.

• Like 3

If you want advice....Die some more, and learn from your deaths.....

Also going to elektro is basicly asking to kill or get killed.

Lastly take the road less travelled...spawn in kamenka, and follow the road north instead of staying on the coast. Once you get 1-2 Kilometers inland you are remarkably more safe than near the coast.

I want to get good gear though.. I was just leaving anyways... Also, just spawned again, ran For 30 minutes, completely unarmed got killed again... Who the fuck would waste machine gun bullets on a newly spawned person with NO weapon,?............

Also try servers with less players on them. <10 I'd say and stick to safer areas if you want to survive and see a bit of chernarus. Make sure to get a feel for distances and how zombies spawn and behave after spawning. This way you can tell if someone has been or is in the city/town/whatever you are trying to enter.

Check out the map at dayzdb to figure out where you spawned and what kind of route would be safe and best in terms of loot spots and their quality.

For the most part you should stay away from Cherno and Elektro unless you want to PVP it up vs. hackers, scripters, server hoppers and griefers. Those cities are shooting galleries and not ideal for less experienced players to gear up.

If you want to find a group you might want to check out the /r/DayZLFG (DayZ Looking For Group) subreddit. I'm not sure if this forum has a section for this.

I want to get good gear though.. I was just leaving anyways... Also, just spawned again, ran For 30 minutes, completely unarmed got killed again... Who the fuck would waste machine gun bullets on a newly spawned person with NO weapon,?............

"Look, a Bambi with a crowbar is running into an industrial building and is being chased by a horde of zombies. Better help him out by putting a bullet in his head"

See my post above. Most of the people who do that are already on the very low end of the moral scale, so, yeah. Some might say they are doing it for "fun", but their fun is ruining other people's fun, so i'd question their idea of "fun" greatly.

If you want to find some decent gear without getting sniped a lot, check out deerstands. They can hold very decent military gear. They are usually very safe and very easy to loot (only 3 zombies spawn, and they usually walk away from the side with the ladder). Plus the side with the ladder faces towards the forest in most cases.

I know how you feel. I managed to find myself as a motorcycle last week for the first time. 12-seconds after jumping on it, BAM, headshot by a sniper.

Do what RogueSniper said, as soon as you get some degree of decent gear, just head north. The most dangerous areas are the city and coastal towns.

Also, rather than doing a mad dash through Cherno or Elektro, I prefer to head up North East to Berezino. Some decent military loots there at times, and it doesn't see anywhere near as much PVP action as Cherno or Elektro

Another thing about going north is that If I don't have a gun what happens if a Zombie sees me? Do I just run for hours? I think i just want a team..

I know a lot of people bad mouth it but Kamenka is my favourite spawn. There are numerous deer stands to check as you head north then cut east towards Bor and got north once again. If you don't have a decent weapon and ammunition by then I'm sorry but you've got really bad luck!

Best yet, secure some canteens, hunting knife, matches and a hatchet and any gun you can find. You now have the means to survive outside of major settlements and head north to find player camps and steal their gear! Much more profitable and then if you record the location you can always come back in future and take whatever else you fancy. if you're really lucky you might find a vehicle stash somewhere like so;

ArmA2OA2012-08-1620-20-43-67.jpg

Not pictured is the UAZ which came flying in loaded full of players. Que MK 48 raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape.

• Like 3

Just learn from your deaths and decide on risk vs. reward. When you get sniped, are you moving slowly? Were you moving in a straight line? Were you out in the open? Figure out how you're getting killed and then avoid doing that next time.

Then risk vs. reward. The more/better gear you get, the higher the risk of looting usually becomes. Cities are high risk already, due to their rewards, but if you go in there with good gear already, is the little bit more you're going to get worth the risk? Your Elektro example for instance, you already had a military rifle and a alice pack, was it really worth it strolling into kill town for ANOTHER military rifle? A safer way to get a better/additional military gun would be deer stands. They are secluded, only a few zeds, and usually don't have people camping then. Much lower risk, only a little less reward. Basically, as soon as you get something worthwhile, get off the coast.

edit:

Another thing about going north is that If I don't have a gun what happens if a Zombie sees me? Do I just run for hours? I think i just want a team..

Guns can be easily found up north, barns, deer stands, markets etc. Really the only thing I feel I need to grab before going north is meds, but other than that I can find it all pretty easily away from the coastal cities. However, if you do agro zeds without a gun or hatchet, yes you do just run. Run through bushes and trees when leaving a town, or go through a two way building. You can also weave in and out of fences. I don't condone shooting zeds even when you do have a gun, as they just bring more zeds and other players. The only way you should be killing zeds is with a hatchet.

Edited by HerrJon

Problem: You're inexperienced

Solution: Play the game

The next time you spawn in, I suggest you grab a hatchet as soon as you can and head to Cherno or Elektro. Break into a hospital and grab as much morphine, bandages, and painkillers as you can carry (make sure you have enough room for food and water, of course.) Get the hell away from there and head to the Balota Airstrip (west of Cherno) and loot the hangers and control tower. If you're feeling brave, go into the army camp that you'll see just before the airstrip and take whatever you can from the towers.

Head north from Balota, following the main road (stay inside the treeline with the road in your sight at all times) until you reach the next town. You'll run directly into a supermarket where you can find everything else you need to survive, but sometimes the supermarket is a bit glitchy (there will be, literally, nothing inside it.) Look around town until you find a canteen and then head back to the market if it was glitched to check up on it. If it's still glitched, I recommend that you change servers simply because this is a glitch that you cannot fix and can be a real nut punch later. Get offline, do something else for an hour, then get back on. If it's glitched on that server too then fuck it- you've got better things to do.

At this point, it's best that you loot barns and other farm areas for equipment you'll need to make a fire so you can cook meat (in all, you'll need matches, a hunting knife, and a hatchet) from the animals you hunt. Keep moving around but try to stay north while hunting deerstands until you find a good military grade weapon such as the Mk Mod 0. Do not, I repeat, do not use an AK or a Lee Enfield unless you like dying. A Lee Enfield will kill anything you hit, but there's a reason it's called the Dinner Bell. The AK takes three shots to bring down a zombie- you don't want that for what you're about to do. You want an Mk Mod 0 because you get 100 rounds per mag and it takes down zombies in one hit. Go to the nearest castle and loot the fuck out of that place, but be warned: players will often hang out there. I recommend that you be on a low population server unless you're willing to risk your ass.

Hopefully you'll get something useful (a map, a tent, binoculars, etc.) If you don't have a tent, get on over to the NW Airfield and loot the shit out of that place until you have one. Go tot he DayZWiki to see how to get there and not get a bullet to the skull. Find a remote(ish) location and set up your camp. It's best if you find a place near some bushes or other terrain that would make it hard to spot from multiple directions unless you were to walk directly on top of it. There's one place in a field near Balota that would be perfect, but the problem is that there is no marking terrain (it's a huge fucking field) that will help you figure out where your camp is once you set it up. This problem is rectified by finding a GPS.

Above all else, you'll probably need NVGs. However, you'll probably get killed trying to find them. This is why I suggest you make a camp first- you probably won't lose everything. Put away all but the most basic equipment (you'll only need beans, bullets, and band-aids) and begin searching for a helicopter crash site. Try to find a low population server that restarted not too long ago; otherwise you only increase the odds that a (skilled) sniper will take you out. As stated earlier, be able to look out for subtle clues that indicate player presence- zombie spawns and dead bodies. If you ever come across a dead body, get down and head to the nearest treeline. Take your binoculars (or sniper rifle, if you found one) and search everywhere for the tell-tale signs of a sniper. Set your view distance as far as possible and put shadow detail on high. You should watch out for any movement- poor snipers will search for targets via their scope, thus causing their gun barrel and legs to move. A smart one will use freelook and so only their head will move (and just barely at that.)

Above all else, you need to develope a KoS attitude. When you're in the North, the concept of "friendly" goes out the window. Their survival means more to them than yours- you need to adopt the same attitude. You don't have to kill everyone you see, but I strongly recommend that you kill anyone who is coming towards you (even if they don't see you) or is dangerously close to your camp. Don't kill someone who is in the general area of the camp- they'll know you're in the area and may come looking for you, and then may stumble upon it!

Whenever you do kill, hide the bodies. It doesn't matter if it's an animal, a zombie, or a player. As far as you're concerned, only a player will cause the death of anything. Other players will have a similar attitude and you can expect they'll be looking out for bodies as well, so you need to hide them once you have what you need. Be on the lookout for zombies in random places- except for towns, castles, and deerstands, zombies will not spawn in the wilderness. If you see a lone zombie wandering about, then there's a good chance that a player just escaped them. I recommend that you head the opposite direction because you're unlikely to find the person and there's no use in risking getting seen- he'll probably be checking his back every now and then and may catch a glimpse of you. This leads to the most important thing of all: observe your surroundings. Abuse the freelook system- you're going to need it to survive. Maintain situational awareness by checking the area beside and behind you, or you may get a nasty surprise if you log out near your camp.

I recommend that you don't keep more than one or two vehicles (if any), and I still recommend that you keep them away from your camp. Motorcycles get more leniancy because you can hide them near bushes. I also recommend that you keep spare parts- you never know when an invisible wall will take out your wheel. Personally, I don't even bother with vehicles at all. They make wonderful targets (it's hard to miss a fucking wall) and are zombie magnets. You can, however, troll people in Cherno and Elektro by honking your horn while driving slowly through the streets.

Overall, just use your common sense. If you get killed it's probably because you were negligent, but that's okay- you learn every time you die. The biggest lesson you can learn is to not get attached to your items. No matter how cautious you are, you will eventually die and your camp will eventually be discovered. That's why, when I log out, I make sure I have my most valuable items on me (since no one can steal from your backpack if you're not in the game) if I can carry them. I also recommend that you go prone in the treeline near some bushes before you log out. You never know if someone will be waiting by your campsite.

I hope that all of this helped!

Edited by Edward b
  • Like 1

Double post :(

Edited by Edward b

Having a team won't really help you if you can't even play the game by yourself; you would just be a burden to the others. Play solo for a bit until you really understand how to gear up without encountering players, or you can even learn how to hatchet some unlucky soul to death and loot all of their high tier gear :)

You should do that I did to begin with...just run into Cherno/Elektro (big city) and keep running.. learn where all the places are to loot.. hospitals, churches, stores, bars and keep running around looking out for players...you basically want to die a couple times on purpose to learn where player normally camp (hills) so you can avoid..and not to run into places with only one exit during zed marathon... this way you cna learn where to go quickly and effectively looking for good starting loot, once you got basics, head north to deer stands then Stary > NWAF > Probably die soon after...

Try to enjoy the game and dont take it too seriously :)

And dont ever EVER! Get attached to your gear :D

AJ

Just do what every one here on this forum does.

Join a clan and dupe/hack all the items you need.

That way when you inevitably die to a hacker 10seconds after spawning in again you can easily re-equip.

Dont make the mistake of thinking that this is a serious or honest game, it just isnt.

Just do what every one here on this forum does.

Join a clan and dupe/hack all the items you need.

That way when you inevitably die to a hacker 10seconds after spawning in again you can easily re-equip.

Dont make the mistake of thinking that this is a serious or honest game, it just isnt.

Speak for yourself only, ok? You being a cheater does not make everybody one.

• Like 2

"Look, a Bambi with a crowbar is running into an industrial building and is being chased by a horde of zombies. Better help him out by putting a bullet in his head"

See my post above. Most of the people who do that are already on the very low end of the moral scale, so, yeah. Some might say they are doing it for "fun", but their fun is ruining other people's fun, so i'd question their idea of "fun" greatly.

If you want to find some decent gear without getting sniped a lot, check out deerstands. They can hold very decent military gear. They are usually very safe and very easy to loot (only 3 zombies spawn, and they usually walk away from the side with the ladder). Plus the side with the ladder faces towards the forest in most cases.

FrankieONPCin1080p :) but in reply to the main post may I suggest sticking to the forests and looting those random barns you may find. in you despratley need water, drink your own piss

Great topic! You're simply inexperienced. It'll be like that until you learn how and where you can travel incognito, or even better, how you can have relative tactical control over the area you're travelling trough. You need to learn how to move from building to building, from cover to cover, and how to always check for danger before sticking your head out in the open. I get lazy at this sometimes too, but the reward for such lazyness is death.

DayZ was the most fun when I really didn't know what I was doing and most items still had value. Looting a town made me feel like king of the zombies. Enjoy that feeling. Soon you will realize at 80% of the items in this game are useless. ;)

I will say, the last patch or two made it dramatically easier to lose a zombie, since line of sight seems to be used a lot more accurately.

For example, you get some aggro and you're near the forest, try to find a thicket of pine trees. Charge right into them, and try to find some kind of other cover on the other side. Maybe another patch of pine trees. Maybe a shrub. Hell, tall grass works.

Just get some distance between you and the thicket of pine trees you first blew through and go prone. Keep crawling away, peferably towards more cover, and the zombies will stumble through the trees, lose aggro for a moment, and try to figure out where you are. If they don't pick you back up (such as if you were still sprinting full-tilt and very visible), they give up and just keep doing their zombie thing.

Smoke grenades and flares don't seem to do anything anymore though..

You can actually run into a pine tree and stay in there. The Zombie will run into the pine tree as well, but he won't attack you, instead he goes back into his walking animation and strolls about.

Edited by jurrasstoil
  • Like 1