cowan108

Vehicular Armor Idea -{STANDALONE}-

Edit: So I've decided to completely redo the post. I have totally re-thought the system, stick with me here!

Basically, once your in a car, your a target, Even "friendlies" will kill you for one. Don't lie =.= Anyway, wouldn't it be cool if you could mount sheets of metal to your vehicle? Besides the Heli, un-realistic there. Each metal will affect your vehicle differantly, Leave me some feedback! Follow me at:

@ThIrdNut108

Armor Types

Remember: Metal rusts, so armor will decay over long periods of time, even without taking damage.

1. Correlated metal: Least amount of armor, very light weight, low durability.
  2. Bulletproof Glass: Very rare, found only in military spawns, High durability
  3. Sheets of Iron: Medium amount of armor, medium weight. medium durability
  4. Copper Sheets: Medium amount of armor. medium weight, can carry an electrical charge when hooked up to vehicle's battery, medium durability
  5. Aluminum Sheets: Aluminum sheets can't be used for armoring your vehicles directly, they can be used to form spikes, scoops, and anything else you can form it into that would move/kill whatever the hell is in your way. They still do add weight though. High durability. ALSO NEEDS ANVIL FOR SHAPING
  6. Steel Sheets: Large amount of armor, very heavy, also very rare, found in industrial areas, also might be found in construction sites, very, very, very, high durability
  7. Stainless Steel Sheets: Same thing as steel but does not rust

Tools Needed For Applying/Shaping Armor

Anvil: An anvil will be needed to shape the Aluminum sheets into the desired shape. (Scoop, cow-plow, spike, etc.)

Drill: Most be obtained to apply lower end armor to your vehicle. Also requires batteries to run.

Spot Welder: The welding gun is required to apply the higher end armor. Requires gas. (propane tanks?)

Edited by Cowan108
  • Like 14

I believe rocket already said something along the lines of more vehicle customization when it comes to standalone. We may end up seeing a 'portion', or at least a set standard, as to what can be done with vehicles. Please don't quote me on whether it will actually happen or not; I just remember hearing him talk about adding more features to vehicles then what is currently in the system.

If you watch IGNs newest stream being an interview with Rocket, basically he was already asked this sort of a question and he said that there will be some customization for vehicles.

I think the other two posters are missing the point of this thread.

good suggestion & I'm glad to see it on the forums. Looks like a very interesting idea so far and I think it adds to the discussion.

If I were a developer i'd book mark this post and enjoy the helpful idea. Again, nice job. You've got my beans.

I think the other two posters are missing the point of this thread.

good suggestion & I'm glad to see it on the forums. Looks like a very interesting idea so far and I think it adds to the discussion.

If I were a developer i'd book mark this post and enjoy the helpful idea. Again, nice job. You've got my beans.

Nope, that's what he said in the interview.

Thank you guys for the amazing feed back, it means a lot! :thumbsup:

Something like this :)

im throwing my beans at the screen but nothing is happening! :D

Motorcycle jackets would be enough to protect us from zombies.

all the bullet proof vests, I think its not the right game for it...

also it would be interesting how will you run from zombies with all the metal plates B)

Edited by DooM4MR

Doom, where the hell did you see bulletproof vests and motorcycles in my suggestion? Im talking about 4 wheeled vehicles, besides the ATV

loollol sorry I somehow decided that it was about body armor :blush:

I was talking about motorcycle jackets like this: http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00VMramBwzkdcP/Motorcycle-Racing-Jacket.jpg

About the vehicles armor, its a good idea I remember the huge zombie-proof truck they had in some movie (28 days later or something if i am right) and that could be interesting if we could build one in game.

we will be able to create mobile "base" using Ural or V3S.

this can be easily done in Arma, there is attachTo command, you can even attach plane to truck with it (lol I think i'll try this in the Editor :lol:)

• Like 1

I like the idea but I think adding guns would be pointless, maybe vehicles with guns attached already but not a bus with a M240 hanging form each window.Keep it fair...

• Like 1

I see what you mean Jackal, maybe a HMMV (M2) should be a single spawn like the heli at the moment?

EDIT: ADDED DURABILITIES

So I've been thinking hard lately on what there should be in the DayZ Standalone. And me and a few friends conjugated up this idea of armoring/arming vehicles. Heres the list of different materials you should be able to mount on sections of the vehicle (left side, right side, front, back, top). All materials will have different types of armor amounts, and a different weight. Each slowing down your vehicle differently

Remember: Metal rusts, so armor will decay over long periods of time, even without taking damage.

1. Correlated metal: Least amount of armor, very light weight, low durability.
  2. Bulletproof Glass: Very rare, found only in military spawns, very high durability
  3. Sheets of Iron: Medium amount of armor, medium weight. medium durability
  4. Copper Sheets: Medium amount of armor. medium weight, can carry an electrical charge when hooked up to vehicle's battery, medium durability
  5. Aluminum Sheets: Aluminum sheets can't be used for armoring your vehicles directly, they can be used to form spikes, scoops, and anything else you can form it into that would move/kill whatever the hell is in your way. They still do add weight though. High durability
  6. Steel Sheets: Large amount of armor, very heavy, also very rare, found in industrial areas, also might be found in construction sites, very, very, very, high durability
  7. Stainless Steel Sheets: Same thing as steel but does not rust

​Alright, my next point is to make it possible to mount found LMGs on the windows of the bus. Either by holding the gun and putting the bi-pods on the windows, or by finding a welding torch and welding the bi-pods to the window frames. There are many ways to approach this. Also, installing the Bulletproof Glass would take more than 1 depending on the window you intend on making bulletproof. (side windows take 1, back and front windshield take 2) That's all I can think of, let me know if you have anything else to add!

Nice, do it!!

• Like 1

i posted this already bro i already wrote the idea of bullet proof glass and sheet metal

Good idea. But would the armour be carry-able from different servers or only for that specific server.

I JUST FUCKING HAD THIS IDEA THIS WEEK AND FORMED A SYSTEM IN MY HEAD FUUUUUUUU~

yes I would love this. If anyone ever played hard truck apocalypse, they'd know what I would love to see in this game a bit more of, of course in the dayz playstyle, not in the Hard Truck Apocalypse style.

Before bitches bitch, armored cars will take a lot of time to get to that level, they will be balanced from a time needed to reach that level point of view, and let's be honest, once you reach that point when you have all the gear you really want, there's nothing left to do but vehicles, and once you get enough of those you get bored and quit, you need this next step in evolution as a survivor, besides being able to erect structures to some degree, or reinforce others.

I would also like to add the options that say in workshops that are in mountain areas to be able to find better suspension/tires suited for that terrain, near military establishments find bullet proof glass, etc

PS. being able to lock doors so that unwanted ppl may not get in would be good/have to break a window/shoot a gun at the locker area to break the door's lock, etc, would be very good as well.

PPS.

lLCyq.jpg

BEEP BEEP.

Edited by kryvian
  • Like 2

I like the idea but I think adding guns would be pointless, maybe vehicles with guns attached already but not a bus with a M240 hanging form each window.Keep it fair...

let's be honest, the bus is the most slow, hard to maneuver and easy to pick on/ destroy vehicle in the game. a gun on every window seems p fair right now.

let's be honest, the bus is the most slow, hard to maneuver and easy to pick on/ destroy vehicle in the game. a gun on every window seems p fair right now.

That's why it's so common, and found near industrial zones. It's easy to find and fix. Not everything should be side grade in a tier based progression system.

That's why it's so common, and found near industrial zones. It's easy to find and fix. Not everything should be side grade in a tier based progression system.

imho if you can drag around a bus (that is big, slow and easy to spot/blow up) for long enough to armor it/put guns on it, I do believe it was worth the effort. I mean these parts were supposed to be real rare, server sided and you will no longer have the option to pick from 6 ways of duping as it is now.