mattlightfoot

GDC Online Awards

Why promote DayZ mod when DayZ standalone is coming?

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Plus why waste time fixing a buggy mod when the standalone is what is going to carry on the Day Z name?

Edited by Bigtaff
  • Like 1

I have plans on Voteing for Dayz.

I could care less if its buggy or not.Learn to adapt to your enviroment.

This is one of the Few gamess/Mods I very much like and enjoy.

GO DAYZ TEAM And Thank you guys for putting in all your hard work.Devlopment is very problem matic.Fix one problem and you get 5-6 more.lol

Anyone else notice that all the guys hating in this thread, have a very low post count and no display pic ? Could it be that these guys all fell victim to my ban hammer ? :P

I have no display & low count and I never get hit with ban hammers cause I hate cheaters with a passion just like alot here do.

I just don't feel my vote will help at all but ok, here ya go I will vote and just play along with it. Good Luck!

I will work on voting for you, unfortunately I had graphical glitches when approaching the voting booth so I could not see it.

Please update the mod so I am able to see it, until then I will hide in the woods nearby trying to avoid looking in that direction.

• Like 3

Damn man, so much ignorance based hate. If only most of you knew 5% of what you think you knew, you would stfu.

1) There are tools to fight hackers, blame the admins of the servers that are too lazy

2) Some of the latest info to be found about the mod and stand alone have came from these interviews that you bitch about. Do you want him to come here and address you personally and say the same shit he has already said in interviews?

3) There are soooooo many self righteous, QQin people on here, he cant possibly respond to all of you.

4) The glitches suck, I have them, I work around them, I knew when I bought Arma 2 that I was getting into an unfinished mod with a small team of devs, that may or may not just give up on it/move on at any time. If you were expecting anything else, you should have done your research, or stop seeing "Alpha/Beta" tags as "Demo for the real game" as so many console developers have built into the minds of the current generation of gamers by allowing everyone with an internet connection to "beta test."

5) As said many times before, if you dont like it man, move on. Come back later, maybe itll be fixed. Wait for stand alone, do something besides get so bent out of shape over a mod. There are good games out right now and a few on the horizon. Just go play them, watch a movie, hit Netflix, go outside, seriously.

I am an avid believer that no matter how good a product is, customer support post purchase is everything. But in this case, you would probably get support from BIS if you needed it, due to the fact that you purchased your game. But this mod, built in the spare time by some enthusiasts who were lucky enough to land a deal to make a full game, wasnt paid for. They actually owe you nothing. And if it really gets in your panties that bad, then vote with your wallet and refuse to buy the stand alone. I promise, the community at large wont miss your belly aching.

Signed "A person with enough sense to fuckin get it"

Back to the topic-

I know of a few people who have voted for you now, and a few that wont (without crying), good luck. Theres not exactly a ton of competition imo.

Edited by SilenceSoLoud
  • Like 4

I understand your frustration, but your language seems to suggest we haven't tried.... Any frustration you show at problems with the mod, multiply that by ten and you will be at how frustrating it is for Dean and the rest of the development team when we can't fix things. Now some problems we inherit from Arma 2, some are caused by ourselves, we have released hotfixes to try and fix the graphical glitches, they work for some but they don't for others.

As for word from Rocket, I don't know where you get the impression he isn't talking, there are loads of interview with him at GamesCom. He is with IGN at the moment and will at PAX from tomorrow onwards.

In fact if you would fix the tents and vehicles, I would be happy - and you can't say it is that hard, because I heard private hives have fixed it and also shown how to fix it. I used to be a player of DayZ, now I just wait for some tent and vehicle fix for my next login.

As for word from Rocket, I don't know where you get the impression he isn't talking, there are loads of interview with him at GamesCom. He is with IGN at the moment and will at PAX from tomorrow onwards.

Hey Matt! Thanks for your time. Considerations:

Now I understand that you guys do not understand (it is very common, you have a very different point of view from us players). For us fans this is a long radio silence: there is no announcement (in the announcements forum) about the next version (remember when it used to have "pending hot fix [version]" and then a description of what it will contain and a ETA? Well, mostly those were all wrong, but it was communication. (I know you announced in the middle of a thread about a possible 6th September release date - but that is not very effective, people want clear communication, not hunting them in middle of random posts)

Besides, Rocket's interviews are all the same info over and over again. The community is crazy to hear about just 3 things:

1) When will the graphical glitches be fixed for all (please understand I don't even have this question, I don't have glitches anymore)

2) When can we save tents? (My clan has mostly abandoned the game until this is patched)

3) When can we save vehicles? (My clan has mostly abandoned the game until this is patched)

Answer those 3 questions in the announcements forum, in a clear thread about it (and fulfill your promise), and you will get a lot of good will from the community.

• Like 1

1) There are tools to fight hackers, blame the admins of the servers that are too lazy

LOL

No.

You obviously haven't got a clue, so let me explain: I can stare at logs until my eyes bleed, I'm still only going to be able to get solid proof on about half the hackers in my server on any given night (not even counting the ones running engine hacks, which are at the moment, totally undetectable). I run custom anti-hack scripts, I stream the logs, I watch them like a goddamned hawk, I run ARMA II RCON on my other monitor, I have script filters uploaded to my server, and every night, there's still at least 5 assholes spawning boxes, vehicles, or Teleporting and PKing. This community is built on SA's who invested both time and money in this game, and subsequently had their hands tied by the devs. So if you want to talk shit about SA's, get your facts straight.

Edited by sp86
  • Like 4

I have no picture and a low forum post count. I play DayZ almost four hours a day. It is like crack. Yes, hackers and video glithes are a pain in the (THIS SPACE INTENTIONALY LEFT BLANK). The DayZ concept is great! I voted for it.Looking forward to the standalone.

Hey Matt! Thanks for your time. Considerations:

Now I understand that you guys do not understand (it is very common, you have a very different point of view from us players). For us fans this is a long radio silence: there is no announcement (in the announcements forum) about the next version (remember when it used to have "pending hot fix [version]" and then a description of what it will contain and a ETA? Well, mostly those were all wrong, but it was communication. (I know you announced in the middle of a thread about a possible 6th September release date - but that is not very effective, people want clear communication, not hunting them in middle of random posts)

Besides, Rocket's interviews are all the same info over and over again. The community is crazy to hear about just 3 things:

1) When will the graphical glitches be fixed for all (please understand I don't even have this question, I don't have glitches anymore)

2) When can we save tents? (My clan has mostly abandoned the game until this is patched)

3) When can we save vehicles? (My clan has mostly abandoned the game until this is patched)

Answer those 3 questions in the announcements forum, in a clear thread about it (and fulfill your promise), and you will get a lot of good will from the community.

It mustn't be with eta but a work load or a work process would be nice or it would be great if there is a post, with hello, we working hard on A, B, C,. But there massive problems on C and some hard problems on B.

for the next days/week we planed this d, e,f,

that would take 10 mins all 3 days or a week, cant be a problem ..

.. if rocket doesn't have this time so what are the community-manger doing?

i think something will move/change if the players in last 24h will move under 100.000 in the next 2-3 weeks.

thats a great point to all the "dont flame it only a alpha" writer

Oh so now its a game? Not an "alpha mod".

• Like 1

LOL

No.

You obviously haven't got a clue, so let me explain: I can stare at logs until my eyes bleed, I'm still only going to be able to get solid proof on about half the hackers in my server on any given night (not even counting the ones running engine hacks, which are at the moment, totally undetectable). I run custom anti-hack scripts, I stream the logs, I watch them like a goddamned hawk, I run ARMA II RCON on my other monitor, I have script filters uploaded to my server, and every night, there's still at least 5 assholes spawning boxes, vehicles, or Teleporting and PKing. This community is built on SA's who invested both time and money in this game, and subsequently had their hands tied by the devs. So if you want to talk shit about SA's, get your facts straight.

I ran a rather successful server. Yes we had some situations before i got it buckled down, but after the new log parsing came and filters, it was much much easier. Nothing will stop it in its entirety, that goes for any game, where there is a will there is a way. I know this mod needs way more protection, but they are mod creators, not the people who built Arma 2, who had no real reason to spend huge dev times on anti cheat because Arma is generally a co op game where insta spawn may or may not be desired.

Anyway, I imagine some servers get targeted harder than others, but Ive seen quite a few run successfully. The biggest issue is having to ban post hack with little to no prevention, but at least you can stop repeat offenders. (and this counts for script kiddies, I realize engine hacks are just hopeless, but most of these people are too inept to be using those.)

50% of the testers are not voting do to the lack of communication and response from the developers. It makes you look weak and uncapable of completing this mod.

well, sorry to say this, but i kinda feel bad for voting for dayz, why? because theres too many hackers, the concept is awesome, but it has nothing and just some hopeful metas made by the creators that are lagging behind by other games that were being made before

I didn't vote for it because i think other games might deserve it more. No doubt about it, the game is fun and incredible but what most of us can see is the idea behind it. I'm sure that the standalone will be amazing and i i will buy the most expensive edition the day it will be out but in this state the game isn't quite as good as it could have been and some other developers who worked hard to actually perfect their games should deserve this more in my honest opinion. I understand that the hacker thing is not really your fault but we haven't seen much new in months. And Rocket seems to have abandoned us after the game got famous.

Damn man, so much ignorance based hate. If only most of you knew 5% of what you think you knew, you would stfu.

2) Some of the latest info to be found about the mod and stand alone have came from these interviews that you bitch about. Do you want him to come here and address you personally and say the same shit he has already said in interviews?

3) There are soooooo many self righteous, QQin people on here, he cant possibly respond to all of you.

4) The glitches suck, I have them, I work around them, I knew when I bought Arma 2 that I was getting into an unfinished mod with a small team of devs, that may or may not just give up on it/move on at any time. If you were expecting anything else, you should have done your research, or stop seeing "Alpha/Beta" tags as "Demo for the real game" as so many console developers have built into the minds of the current generation of gamers by allowing everyone with an internet connection to "beta test."

5) As said many times before, if you dont like it man, move on. Come back later, maybe itll be fixed. Wait for stand alone, do something besides get so bent out of shape over a mod. There are good games out right now and a few on the horizon. Just go play them, watch a movie, hit Netflix, go outside, seriously.

I am an avid believer that no matter how good a product is, customer support post purchase is everything. But in this case, you would probably get support from BIS if you needed it, due to the fact that you purchased your game. But this mod, built in the spare time by some enthusiasts who were lucky enough to land a deal to make a full game, wasnt paid for. They actually owe you nothing. And if it really gets in your panties that bad, then vote with your wallet and refuse to buy the stand alone. I promise, the community at large wont miss your belly aching.

Back to the topic-

I know of a few people who have voted for you now, and a few that wont (without crying), good luck. Theres not exactly a ton of competition imo.

if you think this broken mod deserves the award more than Journey there's something wrong with you.
  • Like 1

if you think this broken mod deserves the award more than Journey there's something wrong with you.

I haven't played Journey, and I'm sure all the praise it has gotten has been well deserved. But this right here is more than just a broken mod - it is a game changer. I never thought a zombie game like this would have ever been possible for at least until another console generation, or two. As a kid while playing Resident Evil 2, I remember imagining what the perfect zombie game would look like, and DayZ is surprisingly close to my childhood vision. It also (almost singlehandedly) proves that PC gaming is not only NOT dead, but is alive and flourishing. So with all that said, if you still think that DayZ doesn't deserve the award, then there is something wrong with you.

If you think DayZ is cool but now it does not deserve the prize (whatever is your reason), consider voting for Journey. It is a hell of a game (too bad there is no pc version...) :/

My reasons for not voting DayZ are 3:

1 - it is an alpha (let the real game get ready and then you can see if it is worth the vote);

2 - the recurring bugs (tends/vehicles); and

3 - weeks without communication in the forum (I think this is just disrespectful with the fans)

Edited by sergio

Right I'm going to go off topic slightly hopefully the mods won't ban me for it ;)

Right please look at the thread I must have just read about 6-8 things we should do immediately before anything else according to the author, we aren't able to tackle everything. We can't make the standalone game, fix all of the bugs, add more content, communicate everything we do and fight hackers all at the same time. There aren't enough hours in the day.

Someone said that before we were "famous" we fixed graphical glitches in a week, that is because it wasn't the same problem. This is a much much more difficult problem to fix. We are working hard on trying to fix the problem which as solved it for some but the solution for those that are still experiencing the problems still eludes us.

We need to prioritise what we do and time manage, all of the team are putting in insane amounts of hours so we can do more, but that still isn't everything. We have target release dates for patches which tend to be exceeded, we then get people complaining that it is late. The mod is more inclined to have problems than standalone games, so there will be unforeseen problems.

Now as for tents we believe we have a fix to be included in the update but this is pending testing.

I will dive onto the IRC now if anyone has any more questions http://goo.gl/3mBVf

• Like 3

If you think DayZ is worthy of this award please vote for us

only after you fix the tent and vehicle save bugs and remove this f***** artifacts...

Matt, just fix this 3 bugs please, and we will leave you alone, so you can continue building the Game.

Edited by DooM4MR

The thing is, we are working on them as well as building the game. We think we have a solution for tents/vehicles, artifacting we are still working on.

• Like 3