s2n510

i need to upgrade my computer so i can play dayz HELP

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU

AMD Athlon II X4 640 30 °C

Propus 45nm Technology

RAM

4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

FOXCONN 2AB1 (CPU 1) 30 °C

Graphics

HP 2011 (1600x900@60Hz)

ATI Radeon HD 4200

my video card is currently built in

im gonna start off by upgrading my graphics card first, budget around $200

or should i buy a new motherboard and a card aswell. please let me know

Gtx 560Ti should sort you our or a AMD equviliant :)

AJ

Don't forget that Arma requires a high CPU and GPU performance.

I don't know the current prizes but i'd buy a GTX 670. But then you need equal CPU power to avoid performance bottlenecks. Upgrading isn't allways usefull, it's better to build a new system after some years. This ensures that all components are the same generation and are on the same performance level. But yes, it needs money.

HD 6950/6970 or gtx 560/570 ?

There must be error in your ram speed statement, sound very low for ddr3? 666mhz = 1600mhz?

If not I would seek for faster ram too, may require new motherboard.. after googling looks like your max ram speed is hair over 1000mhz.. with present mobo.

Other than that you are fine.

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 1

The best video cards in your price range are the Radeon 7850 and GeForce GTX 560 Ti. The Radeon is a better card overall, although the Nvidia card is a little faster in Battlefield 3. I'd pick the 7850.

Your CPU will be a solid gamer for a while to come - no need to upgrade that at all. When it does start to show its age, you should be able to overclock to around 3.6 GHz or so, assuming your motherboard can handle a base clock of 240 MHz (it might not. It doesn't support 125W processors, so it might not handle an overclock very well).

Your RAM is fine for DayZ because the Arma engine won't use more than 2 gigs of RAM anyway. If you ever do start to maxing your RAM usage out, you could double it for less than $40.

• Like 1

if i get a gtx 560/ or 570 will i need a power supply aswell?

ALSO will Radeon 7850 or the gtx 560 let me play the game smooth or should i push my budget to 300?

if i get a gtx 560/ or 570 will i need a power supply aswell?

I'm telling you - the Radeon 7850 is a faster card. Do what you want though. Both of those video cards require a ~550 Watt power supply. Any decent power supply of that size will have a strong enough +12V rail.

ALSO will Radeon 7850 or the gtx 560 let me play the game smooth or should i push my budget to 300?

They're both awesome cards. No need to spend more money. And I'm not sure there is a computer alive that can play DayZ smoothly all the time. It's a buggy mod built on a buggy game engine. And I'm pretty sure there are times when the server you play on will limit your framerate, and no amount of video card power in the world will change that.

• Like 1

Sorry - the Radeon recommends a 500W power supply and the GeForce recommends a 550W power supply. That lines up perfectly with Anandtech's review, which says the Nvidia card uses about 40 more Watts under load.

They're both awesome cards. No need to spend more money. And I'm not sure there is a computer alive that can play DayZ smoothly all the time. It's a buggy mod built on a buggy game engine. And I'm pretty sure there are times when the server you play on will limit your framerate, and no amount of video card power in the world will change that.

as long as i am able to play the game lol i dont want it to just run on low settings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600286767%20600298542&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon%20HD%207850&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-VideoCards-_-NA-_-NA

which one would u recomend?

I like the Gigabyte model on top. It has a factory 115 MHz overclock and quiet cooling fans. Make sure you don't run the game on low settings after you upgrade - I have a 7870 and the game runs faster on high settings than low - it's because the stupid game engine runs everything through the CPU on low settings.

I like the Gigabyte model on top. It has a factory 115 MHz overclock and quiet cooling fans. Make sure you don't run the game on low settings after you upgrade - I have a 7870 and the game runs faster on high settings than low - it's because the stupid game engine runs everything through the CPU on low settings.

i was also looking at the 7870, its not too much of a price difference probably like $50 more,you think i should jus go with that?

I like mine! The 7870 has more stream processors and higher clock speeds compared to the 7850. I suppose you could just look at this chart and decide if the extra frames are worth $50 to you. It looks to me like the 7870 doesn't really pull ahead until you start gaming at 2560x1600 resolution.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=549

There are shady review sites out there. Anandtech is the site I trust more than any other for hardware reviews.

• Like 1

Check from your PSU what are the current rating for +12V lines, those are the most important.

I bet you have no problem running those cards with 550w psu. Im running 6950 with 500w psu easy (36A@12V).

Consumption from mains is around 400W at full load(cpu,gpu), and it wont be under full load when gaming.

I like mine! The 7870 has more stream processors and higher clock speeds compared to the 7850. I suppose you could just look at this chart and decide if the extra frames are worth $50 to you. It looks to me like the 7870 doesn't really pull ahead until you start gaming at 2560x1600 resolution.

http://www.anandtech...duct/548?vs=549

There are shady review sites out there. Anandtech is the site I trust more than any other for hardware reviews.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/3209686767.html

what would you say of this one?

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU

AMD Athlon II X4 640 30 °C

Propus 45nm Technology

RAM

4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

FOXCONN 2AB1 (CPU 1) 30 °C

Graphics

HP 2011 (1600x900@60Hz)

ATI Radeon HD 4200

my video card is currently built in

im gonna start off by upgrading my graphics card first, budget around $200

or should i buy a new motherboard and a card aswell. please let me know

Here is my specs:

Operating System

Windows XP Sp3 32-bit

CPU

Intel® Core 2 Duo CPU (dualcore)

E4500 @ 2.20Ghz

RAM

3,37GB (DDR 3 I think)

Motherboard

Asus somethin..3 years old

Graphics

HD5700 (1920x1080@60Hz)

ATI Radeon

And I have between 10-30 fps...So Im 100% that u

dont need a better motherboard or cpu...just

get a good graphicscard like mine. :)

Also read this about optimizing DayZ & Arma

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WdZYSLzMuZx95znSdVVCjI7DCOmc4DwY9tDYyxj6Gmc/edit?pli=1