Sign in to follow this  
patty1303@live.com.au

SD Weapon Question

I'm not sure on your smoke situation, but there is less muzzle flash.

Im just taking a guess, but when a bullet is fired, a lot of heat is generated. Silenced or not, the smoke has to escape from somewhere...

Military rounds are what's know as "smokeless", a single shot won't really produce any visible smoke but a weapon firing at a high rate on auto will put out a small trail.

• Like 1

There will be less muzzle flash and less 'smoke' because silence rounds aren't made from anything special, they just have less propellant, so they move with less force and therefore don't rip a silencer apart. The silencer is what really does the work, the SD rounds are to ensure the silencer can work. Whether this has appropriate visuals in game, I don't know. Infected treat all silenced rounds as if fired from a silenced weapon but it's hard to aim SD rounds with a normal weapon because of a different ballistic arc. This is all more information than you asked for so: TL;DR, it should be less.

And for schrapple, yeah, it's not smoke it's actually steam and some other gases not actually smoke as from the traditional burning of old school gunpowder..

• Like 1

You know the little puff of smoke after you fire?

Yeah I know that, but I don't know whether or not a suppressor affects such a thing.

I think it does, though.

It should be changed in standalone so it makes stealth even better

If the smoke is what gives your stealthy approach away, you're doing it wrong. Either by being in front of your target if there's multiple or by not killing them in the first shot if only one.

There will be less muzzle flash and less 'smoke' because silence rounds aren't made from anything special, they just have less propellant, so they move with less force and therefore don't rip a silencer apart. The silencer is what really does the work, the SD rounds are to ensure the silencer can work. Whether this has appropriate visuals in game, I don't know. Infected treat all silenced rounds as if fired from a silenced weapon but it's hard to aim SD rounds with a normal weapon because of a different ballistic arc. This is all more information than you asked for so: TL;DR, it should be less.

And for schrapple, yeah, it's not smoke it's actually steam and some other gases not actually smoke as from the traditional burning of old school gunpowder..

Smokeless powder is the name given to a number of propellants used in firearms and artillery which produce negligible smoke when fired, unlike the older gunpowder (black powder) which they replaced. The basis of the term smokeless is that the combustion products are mainly gaseous, compared to around 55% solid products (mostly potassium carbonate, potassium sulfate, and potassium sulfide) for black powder.[1] Despite its name, smokeless powder is not completely smoke-free

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokeless_powder

I rest my case.

Smokeless powder is the name given to a number of propellants used in firearms and artillery which produce negligible smoke when fired, unlike the older gunpowder (black powder) which they replaced. The basis of the term smokeless is that the combustion products are mainly gaseous, compared to around 55% solid products (mostly potassium carbonate, potassium sulfate, and potassium sulfide) for black powder.[1] Despite its name, smokeless powder is not completely smoke-free

http://en.wikipedia....mokeless_powder

I rest my case.

Oh, wasn't an arguement or anything, just joining in and agreeing. :P

You know that SD rounds make no sense in arma since they still make the snap...

They don't make a snap when they lodge themselves in your brain...because that snap you hear is the round hitting something solid.

They don't make a snap when they lodge themselves in your brain...because that snap you hear is the round hitting something solid.

No it's not. It's the sonic boom the bullet makes when passing close to you. Because you know, it's faster than sound. And silenced ammo is supposed to be subsonic.