Why can't we have password protection?

There's obviously easy answers for this but admins NEED more control.

When I set up a server I originally wanted it password protected so I could invite like minded players from the DayZ forums in and have a good community going. It would mean the whole server could be well moderated and dramatically cut down the risk of a hacker getting in. It wouldn't be just a friendly zone as I would still want bandits because it's an important mechanic, but I could at least get a load of players willing to trust each other a little more. When this mod first came out everyone would communicate, trade and help each other out but it's just become shoot on site.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the hell out of DayZ but the only upside to owning a server is that you and your friends can have a designated server to play on.

Couldn't the hive still keep track of what's going on despite having password protection?

For all the servers with trusted people, you would have an equal amount of empty ones just serving as loot farms for owners. Or camps would be set up and then opened to public. I think if people could lock servers 85% of them would be locked and dayz would struggle to have as big player base.

• Like 2

as Intensity says really...

There would be passworded servers that just have for example..... the coastline littered with tents with loads of loot which they would jump on to arm themselves then go onto other servers fully equipped all the time.

Call it paranoia, but it would happen.

• Like 1

if you wanna control hacking of a server you rent best thing to do is make it a Non Rocket hive server that way since its your own server you can run it how u wish without having to follow rockets rules. which are ridiculous....

• Like 1

Having like minded players would mean players like me, willing to play the game legitimately.

I definitely agree that a lot of the servers would be locked but there would be the same if not more that would remain public. But I see what you mean.

It's frustrating because loot farming and safe playing isn't what I was going to do with my server. I would have invited bandits, lone wolves, and team players. But getting to know the players on the server would mean being able to establish common ground with some of them so I could do the things that you could no longer do any more. It would also give players a chance to thrive a little more and fully experience the game. I guess maybe if they played more carefully most players would get further :lol:

But it looks like the "old" days of being able to communicate with strangers without getting your beans taken is slowly fading way. The youtube series called Days Ahead is a perfect example of how it used to be. They start off in two big groups and when numbers dwindle they begin communicating and helping strangers and travelling together.

*sigh*

You can have locked servers, and fairly so they will not be linked to the hive - as it would allow players to loot the game (hive) and then go to un-passworded servers with all their loot and kill those who cannot afford their own locked server which they can loot themselves.

Unfortunately the suggestion of giving out the password has potential issues also - either it would be keep too close (and know everyone) or too open and you have hackers all over again. It also doesn't solve the problem that you may not give it to anyone and just loot it yourself (not saying you would, but its a possibility and certainly what other players would do).

I still communicate with strangers! A lot of people respond and I have learnt ways to making sure I am safe before opening communication - pretty satisfying killing someone who decides to go hostile (we had someone try and steal our vehicle the other night when trying to help him!)... lots more scallies in the world of Dayz now :¬)

I guess this game is just one big trust issue :lol:

What me and my friends were planning to do was let players enter a mailing list and we email them the password. And every two weeks to a month we would change it. As admin we would have been able to moderate who is using it. Of course inviting players would all have been based on trust but eventually the players who we weren't able to trust with our password would be taken off the mailing list and we would have found someone else.

Hopefully, this changes in the stand alone and my dream of having a nice ol' private server will come true!

Edited by Guest

I don't think the question is so much as "Why can't we have password protection?" and more "Why are we not allowed to have password protection?" Truthfully, you can password protect your server. And considering the stand-alone being developed now and the booming increase in the number of servers running the mod, the lack of developers and moderators that have time to track down "admin abuse" cases. You can password protect your server and likely get away with it for a long time. Worse case is they blacklist your server, then you go to a private hive and wait for the stand-alone to be released.

Personally I don't password protect my server, but I just don't care anymore. My server is going down after this billing cycle. Fun run, good times, but I played this mod alpha the way I think it was meant to be played, to get a feeling of what a game could be. Now there is a stand alone in the works, and the mod is just too buggy for me. Not so much on the DayZ side, but on the ARMA 2 side. I've owned ARMA and ARMA 2 long before DayZ came out, and I stopped playing them for the same reason. Too many bugs. I think continuing to run a server and playing this mod is only going to burn me out on the game all together.

I think why speaks for itself.

Doing so would mean you control who can and cannot play. Say, only clan members? So the entire server would be safe, how is that fair to other players/servers?

What me and my friends were planning to do was let players enter a mailing list and we email them the password. And every two weeks to a month we would change it. As admin we would have been able to moderate who is using it. Of course inviting players would all have been based on trust but eventually the players who we weren't able to trust with our password would be taken off the mailing list and we would have found someone else.

I gtg out so short reply: You could still do this - you just wont be able to do it on the Hive, and I think that is fair enough? Not sure how it would work but you will effectively have two characters, one on the private server and the other on the hive? If that is the case its probably quite cool like this anyway.