FlamingDefibs

Counter-Sniping Tips?

I usually follow the bandit lifestyle, but it's very specific and I also like to do good deeds while still maintaining some combat action. Counter-sniping is one of them.

So you always hear stories about snipers sitting at the hill overlooking Elektro and the smokestacks at Cherno, serving lead dinner to the newly spawned.

Well, I don't know too much about counter-sniping, but I can imagine the sniper's habits. They would obviously prefer servers without tracers or nameplates, as well as high-populated ones during daytime. They find it easier to relocate you if you are near a landmark.

Any tips from an experienced ArmA 2 vet/smart person in general?

Edited by FlamingDefibs

Get yourself an L85 if you can or at least rangefinders before you attempt any actual counter-sniping. Now if you're just going to hunt down snipers with an AK or something, just remember to take your time and get the headshot otherwise they'll likely alt-f4 at the first hit. Also, loot what you can then hide their damned body.

• Like 1

Acquire L85A2 AWS. Chances are those you are hunting have one already, might as well even the odds.

Yea okay here you know the hill in Elektro? Theres a hill directly West west - north if you go there hide in the bushes with an AWS you can find em. Take out your sniper than pew their body, stay there for a few seconds cause they might be ghillied and under heavy brush if they gota buddy.

Seems obvious but, don't miss and keep low. The second is the hardest one to keep up at since it requires patience; you must remember, your eyes are naturally attracted to rapid movement so the slower you move the less likely you are to be seen. I tend not to stick around one spot when I'm hunting the hunters, make my kill and move on.

• Like 1

Always scan hills and treelines. Dont stop moving in open areas. If you must move through areas lacking cover do not stop and do not run in a straight line. If you will be operating on or in front of a hill near a town or city try to approuch from the back of the hill. It basically comes down to staying out of view or making your self a diificult target

Oh also, get the Shooting Range map for ARMA 2. Get very comfortable with the weapons at ranges that you can't zero to, like 250, 325, 450, etc. Need to learn how much to adjust your aim after zeroing.

I sit in the wilds around Cherno and 50 cal whoever is stupid enough to sit on top of the industrial buildings.

In military engagements with no civilians around, the general procedure is:

- Get to cover

- Put 1000 rounds of ammunition down range in the general direction he's firing from.

- Hit the area he's firing from with a rocket launcher with HE rounds

- Call in a mortar strike

- Call in an attack chopper

- Call in an artillery strike

- Call in an air strike

(in regular ARMA 2, this is why sniper is much less effective - its also why most server admins who like to snipe also turn off the artillery computer on Warfare like the massive pussies they are - their excuse is that MLRS's are too effective against their poorly hidden bases).

However in DayZ, the general procedure is:

- Get to cover

- Poke your head out

- Get shot and die

What you probably should do is:

- Get to cover

- Pop as much smoke as you've got between the sniper and your intended escape route

- Run away, staying in cover

Trying to hunt down a sniper who's already found you, and probably very well hidden and anywhere between 300 and 1000 m away is, simply put, stupid. Exceptionally stupid on servers with 3rd person enabled where the sniper can see around corners/over walls as you approach and switch to a second weapon and take you out short range.

Edited by MykeMichail

I dunno, sniper battles are pretty fun. I countersniped a guy the other day. He killed my team mate. I hid for a bit, figured out were he was. Hit 'E'. leaned out from behind my rock and drilled him. What he was doing standing on a lighthouse I will never know.

Oh also, get the Shooting Range map for ARMA 2. Get very comfortable with the weapons at ranges that you can't zero to, like 250, 325, 450, etc. Need to learn how much to adjust your aim after zeroing.

Do you mean the Shooting Range map by [MIC] Murcielago? I have just installed it but can't find the AS50 or the L85A2. And I have checked all three boxes. Do you know by an chance in which boxes they are?

Regarding sniper hill near Elektro, I know about the hill northeast of the power plant but as I understand they also have another position. Is it the hill northwest of the powerplant or let's north of the barn?

Do you mean the Shooting Range map by [MIC] Murcielago? I have just installed it but can't find the AS50 or the L85A2. And I have checked all three boxes. Do you know by an chance in which boxes they are?

Regarding sniper hill near Elektro, I know about the hill northeast of the power plant but as I understand they also have another position. Is it the hill northwest of the powerplant or let's north of the barn?

AS 50 is in the box of sniper rifles the L85A2 AWS is in the box with the rifles. It's all clearly labelled and in alphabetical order. I've fired both in the mod, though I've not used the ACE version so it's possible it's not in that one.
  • Like 1

Counter sniping huh.. Well.

First and foremost, you'll need a brain. Second you'll need to know how to use your brain. Third would be experience on general sniper locations. With achieving those 3 factors you are half way done to successful counter sniping..

Snipers in the hills above Cherno and Elektro are focused on the firestations and supermarkets in the town, as well as the church and other lootable places. This gives you the advantage to position yourself somewhere outside of the city if possible at a higher altitude place (read: opposite hillsides or facility/factory buildings on the outer border of the town with no high value loot buildings around them so snipers won't care about your position).

An L85 is of crucial importance here. But if you don't have one, you'll have to scan those hills with a sniper that can zoom in twice or with rangefinders. Forget the binoculars since you wanna be at a range approx 600-700m away from the sniper hill and you won't see shit with them. Once you have acquired your target HOLD ON! Scan the perimeter around him up to 50m. He might have a buddy that covers his flank or a spotter. If you see two guys, take down first the one with the sniper. When you see the second guy panic and run for cover, you re-position yourself as closest as you can to him. Then wait.. wait.. wait.. wait.. Believe me, after minutes of waiting he'll come back, trust me. Its in their nature, they are stupid.

Counter sniping isn't hard if you know common sniper camp spots around Cherno, Elektro and the NWAF. As I said, just use your brain.