RaxUK

Why Bandit skins are a terrible idea.

Time for me to bitch about something.

First a foremost: The skin system is so terrible as it is. Every skin change causes a temp stat reset and this is where things get interesting. On respawn with a bandit skin your humanity is at 0 and you skin will change almost randomly until you either get a player kill or wait half hour for the game to load up again.

2: You don't know if somebody is actually a bandit. I had 4k humanity today until a group of 3 people in bandit skins with half decent gear started moving towards me. I took all of them out. For that I got 3 murders against people who were clearly bandits. Now I have a bandit skin which leads me onto my next issue.

3: Shoot on sight. Editied as someone said what I meant but better.

That's why the game is pretty faulty in the Bandit/Survivor department right now. If your being shot at and the person isn't a bandit, you'll get negative points. Then you become a bandit, and to stay alive, you have to shoot back more cause people are going to shoot you, giving you even more.

Bandit skins should either be made optional or be removed until the whole skin system actually woks. They should also not be reliant on somebody's humanity but whether or not they are actually a bandit.

Edited by RaxUK
  • Like 14

I finally got my first kill about 2 days ago. My humanity dropped from 12750 to -67. Within a few hours my humanity would rise out of nowhere. to 123, then 1473, now it's at 3458. I never got the bandit skin. Do I have to kill more than one person?

On a different note, I agree with your statement. With bandit clothes, me as a new player are more toward killing you since your a player killer. There is too much KOS in this game. it's rare that you make friends, unless known in real life, or entering a clan possibly.

Yeah I obtained a bandit towel and died 20min after. When I spawned I was back to normal.

It's a flawed system and pretty much a waste. They should just stick to the system where depending on if you're good, bad, or just normal you get certain attributes. Since being a hero and staying a hero is harder, plus to minimize bandits, give more attributes to the heros. (I forget the work rather than "attributes" for the time being...)

Seems to me folk shoot on sight regardless of bandit skin or not. The last two douchebags that shot me in the back didn't have the bandit skin anyway. At least non bandits have a bit of warning some of the time.

As for stuff not working, just add it to the long list.

• Like 2

A skin change system for humanity will not work in a system that allows you to change clothing.

Perhaps unlocking the ability to equip a humanity based skin by choice should be there, instead of it being automatic.

A simple If humanity is x will allow/disallow some skins.

I favor animations/ sounds to discern humanity, though it is harder to implement.

By providing the bandit and hero skins they have removed the element of surprise which is a lot of how bandits operate. Half the time bandits roll with people for awhile before shooting them in the back. My guess is they implemented the bandit skin just to appease everyone that kept crying about getting jacked. Either way, it dumbed down the game and it did not add flavor at all. There are so many military uniforms and other outfits that could have been implemented to at least give more customization or originality on a character by character basis. This would have enhanced game play for a lot of people. But giving someone the tell tale rag for their head which tells everyone who they are and what they do, is beyond just mildly retarted.

• Like 2

I agree, the skins are broken for the moment and need a fix before it becomes a good re-implementation.

I was warming up my fingers before clicking on this thread, assuming you were going for the

"Bandits wouldn't make themselves known if this happened in the real world." -argument.

And I would've ripped you to pieces for it.

But instead, you give us valid points and for that, I salute you, and you can have my beans.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1

People still shoot on sight because there is still nothing to loose except few bullets. If they're trying to balance bandits and survivors they should give me a reason not to shoot on sight. Because changing my skin doesn't mean anything if everyone is shooting everyone on sight regardless of skin.

So less ammo = more talk!

not necessarily. plus you will never be able to balance the human and bandit issue for good. There is no way to quell this much paranoia I see everyone playing with

So less ammo = more talk!

Except most people have a gun on them so you're never going to run out of bullets? The game gives no reason whatsoever not to shoot on sight. Right now the mechanics fully support FFA DM.

The whole humanity/skin system is broken atm.

So there is no point to say it's crap.

Wait till it is fixed. Then if you still think it is crap ask for a removal.

But now this thread is pointless.

• Like 5

3: Shoot on sight. When there were no bandit skins, the shoot on sight mentality seemed far less common. People, like me, with bandit skins now have to shoot basically everyone they see or be shot.

You see, all you are saying is,that bandit skin make it harder for you, bandit guys.

But did you actually think a moment, what this change ment to friendly survivors?

With addition of hero / bandit skin the honest folks have atleast a shred of chance to evaluate the chance of getting killed when meeting somebody. Before they just did not have a clue and unlike bandits, who were killing and will kill no matter what, the friendly survivor many times resorted to kill on sight as a precaution.

I am not saying ingame skin change is realistic. But as many has pointed out, this is still game and even though it has a bit of realism (compared to COD or BF3 for sure), it can not and never be completely realistic.

Have to agree that the mechanics of getting hero / bandit skin is a bit flawed though. Sometimes I lose humanity for killing a dude who attacked me first or if player runs directly at me swinging an axe, I can not shoot him or I lose humanity. Also stats are resetting, backpacks are lost, all due to skin changes.

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 4

Perhaps if there was a way to holster all weapons? As it is right now, if someone looks at you they are also aiming at you...does not make for a nice meetup for sure.

I do think if ammo was more scarce folks would be less inclined to just fire it off without thinking.

• Like 1

meeh... you dont get - humanity for killing bandits, so your (OP) complete post is bs.

Bandit kills -> # of bandit kills increases, nothing happens to your humanity

Survivor kills -> # of murders increases, you gain - humanity.

OP is a troll.

• Like 2

meeh... you dont get - humanity for killing bandits, so your (OP) complete post is bs.

Bandit kills -> # of bandit kills increases, nothing happens to your humanity

Survivor kills -> # of murders increases, you gain - humanity.

OP is a troll.

Poster is ignorant and cannot read.

OP Shot a person in bandit skin but said person was not an actual bandit.

HOWEVER> Not everyone in a bandit skin, is a bandit in that life. Which results in murder, not a bandit kill.

Example. I was a bandit at -3000. I died to another bandit. I respawn with 0 Humanity. I still have a bandit skin. If someone killed me now it would be a murder, not a bandit kill.

Edited by Xzal
  • Like 2

ITT bandits whining about KOS mentality? wtf? you mad because survivors now have a chance to fight back? not used to it huh?

btw: there is a lot less KOS since the bandit skin, but now the people that get killed are the ones that deserve it.

• Like 5

Bullcrap. Everyone have been shooting on sight before and is shooting on sight now. Regardless of the skin. Reason for that is that there are bandits without the skin as well as friendlies in the bandit skin so you still don't know who's who. I think the whole skin system is flawed and will never be a reason to stop shooting on sight. And I also think that this game needs something that will make me think "Do I really want to kill that guy?".

I'm pretty sure the entire forum was in agreement that KoS increased after the original bandit skins were removed, right up until the new system was started this forum and Reddit were flooded with "Everyone Kills on Sight!" and "DayZ is just PvP chaos!" so i'm not sure other than your own anecdotal evidence where you're getting your information from?

Shooting 3 guys (even if they are bandits) doesn't make you more humane, so why would you expect humanity to rise? It's a reflection on your character not a linear score system where you shoot bad guys to make it go up...

Bandits wearing bandit clothes will be shot at more than before, but the flip side is the hero skin is shot at less by fresh spawns and other friendlies but countered by becoming a bigger target for other bandits looking to kill goody-two-shoes...

• Like 2

signed. i had multiple encounters with survivor skins in the last days, no firefights.

before it was chaos.

and as tetsuo said, nobody forces you to kill a bandit. if you dont want to become a bandit yourself, dont shot him. but you know you cant trust him, so avoid him.

signed. i had multiple encounters with survivor skins in the last days, no firefights.

before it was chaos.

and as tetsuo said, nobody forces you to kill a bandit. if you dont want to become a bandit yourself, dont shot him. but you know you cant trust him, so avoid him.

Nobody forces you to kill anyone. But that's the most profitable thing you can do when you see someone (if you're not looking for friends.)

I find this thread quite amusing actually. Being around for some months now, I remember very clearly the complete chaos that these forums were in when the bandit skins (the full ones) were removed and before being re-added. "omg this is PVP fanfest" "KOS, KOS everywhere!" "Please bring bandit skins back, it's the only way to make it fair!" and so on and so forth. Now, you have bandit skins, and from my personal experience it has lowered the KOS mentality, so for me it's a win, even though the system -is- flawed and should get reworked for the standalone.

Cheers,

G

• Like 1