Sign in to follow this  
Trizzo

Dayz longevity? What to focus on for the future?

Yes DayZ stand alone is coming, yes that will spice it up and be a completely new experience but if the fundamental mechanics are the same (and without any indication of what new mechanics might be) I’m not sure for how much longer the wider dayz community can keep interested. It appears that dissatisfaction with the DayZ experience is at an all-time high.

Please dont suggest fix the artifacts/bugs/hacking. Yes they are annoying but they are not fundemtal design flaws of gameplay. The question is...what do you need to make dayz a fresh and exicting experiece and one that you keep coming back for?

-Top tier loot that isn't high powered weapons. One of the problems with dayz looting is that most of the high tier finds are weapons or force multipliers, like night vision /rangefinders. The best finds in Dayz are almost univesally things that kill people! Little wonder tons of severs just ressemble COD. If the end goal of DayZ is high powered weapons/gear the only outcome that can arise is a blood bath. Loot that purely helps people, that has utility and reusability needs to be a core part of the loot system. And not just loot that heals people. Vehicles are one thing but outside of a clan or you finding a random car nobody has anything else acheviable to aim for besdies guns.

-A mechanism that allows players to find players or facilitating interactions instead of random wandering. The random wandering is an essential part that i don't want to go away, scavaging is the core part of gameplay. Two options for the following: and I am aware that the first has been discussed at great length.

# Bases. There is talk about Red Faction style bases but there are concerns about their "progam-ability", or general skeptisimim or dissmissal. For me I think this is the number one priority that would give direction to the game. Centers for trade, doctors, clans, relaxation. I think this is the most important ascpect of the future for DayZ. I would like to hear why you might disagree.

#Radios? UAV? Triangulation? Used for finding people that you're not on vent with. I don't think anybody wants carepackages/uav in that sense...but something...

-Missons? Before dissmissing this by saying this isnt skyrim think of this. Missons or goals give people looking for PVP conflict a place to find it. A lot of people I know kill because of boredom and justify it by saying "ahh you never can tell their intention". Something prized to comepte over, that isn't just a pile of loot, could draw bored players away from spawns/towns. Raiding a Z heavey center STALKER style where you needed to bring a toolbox, a satchel charge and X tools would be exicting. Throw into the mix the fact its a compeition over a rare item the inclination to KOS would be quite high. Randomly generated quests, hotspots that pop up for people to go raid, items that appear on the map for 15 mintues. Something to give people who are bored the incentive and a place to fight.

And then...?

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

i really cbb reading that

but if you dont know, theres a stand alone game coming out that will have new shit

we'll see the new stuff he has then

i really cbb reading that

but if you dont know, theres a stand alone game coming out that will have new shit

we'll see the new stuff he has then

Well just for you i highlighted my points and edited out my personally story...if you'd read the post you'd see i do know.

People are pretty much only annoyed/dissatisfied/disappointed with the bugs, glitches and hackers.

If one were to somehow eradicate all three things [and any other factors that are relevant to the stated said products], there would be little to no annoyance with the mod. [Do not mention murderers and those who shoot on sight; that is merely a thing that Rocket WILL NOT take out, as it is part of the game, and the players shape its destiny.]

Standalone with stop a tremendous amount of hackers [not all, of course, but most].

Standalone will be rid of the artifacts, glitches and bugs. Well, the ones that are a problem in the mod. There WILL

be different bugs in Standalone that should be eliminated shortly after release and/or testing by us, the players.

Now, if you take out all of those problems, you have more than a game. It's an experience like none other.

You have something that the world has never seen before. You have something that merely by one gameplay video draws in thousands of players. That, is something. You all know this.

I'm glad Rocket and his team are focusing more on Standalone than this mod.

Would you prefer him to perfect the mod, or perfect something that a large majority of you will be playing more than former said product?

Yes DayZ stand alone is coming, yes that will spice it up and be a completely new experience but if the fundamental mechanics are the same (and without any indication of what new mechanics might be) I’m not sure for how much longer the wider dayz community can keep interested. It appears that dissatisfaction with the DayZ experience is at an all-time high.

Please dont suggest fix the artifacts/bugs/hacking. Yes they are annoying but are no not fundemtal design flaws of gameplay. The question is...what do you need to make dayz a fresh and exicting experiece and one that you keep coming back for?

-Top tier loot that isn't high powered weapons. One of the problems with dayz looting is that most of the high tier finds are weapons or force multipliers, like night vision /rangefinders. The best finds in Dayz are almost univesally things that kill people! Little wonder tons of severs just ressemble COD. If the end goal of DayZ is high powered weapons/gear the only outcome is a blood bath. Loot that purely helps people, that has utility and reusability needs to be a core part of the loot system. And not just loot that heals people. Vehicles are one thing but outside of a clan or you finding a random car nobody has anything else acheviable to aim for besdies guns.

I like this. I like this a lot. In fact, you've given me a brilliant idea.

Thought id chip in on this as im bored :P

I want to see a propper melee system. Perhaps the ability to block other melee attacks tied in. Mount n blade style would be awesome.

More melee weapons and around 20% less gun spawns.

Rabid animals patrolling the countryside. Bears, wolves, perhaps a zoo added that some some fierce predators could have escaped from.

• Like 1

Thought id chip in on this as im bored :P

I want to see a propper melee system. Perhaps the ability to block other melee attacks tied in. Mount n blade style would be awesome.

More melee weapons and around 20% less gun spawns.

Rabid animals patrolling the countryside. Bears, wolves, perhaps a zoo added that some some fierce predators could have escaped from.

This would bring a lot of fun to the game. I would love to melee battle players with knifes and etc.

I like this. I like this a lot. In fact, you've given me a brilliant idea.

Keeping it close to the chest :P?

• Like 1