Sign in to follow this  
bad_mojo (DayZ)

Bells and whistles

Cross hairs- weapons with large scopes suddenly become effective in close quarters.

Nametags- Makes being stealthy pointless, and removes all doubt about who is who.

Location names- (name of the region upon logging in) Makes it too easy to identify where exactly you are, the computer is never wrong.

Kill messages- Fire some bullets, wait for kill message, rinse and repeat.

Waypoints- Don't know where 'X' is? Set a waypoint. Got lost? Set a waypoint.

Map markers- (player icon) GPS without a GPS? What's the point of finding a GPS then?

I don't think any of the above fits in with the spirit of DayZ. Of course they can (mostly) be disabled by a server admin. But, when you give people the option of turning something on it's part of the game. Inevitably someone who doesn't like the options is going to be forced to play with them. Perhaps LOTS of people don't like these options, but when the populated servers mostly have the same options, we're left with no choice.

I feel like all these bells and whistles are turning a hardcore milsim mod into a mainstream casual videogame. Am I the only one feeling this way? How do people justify those "easy mode" options?

• Like 1

I pretty much agree. I also find it hard to believe that in a post apocalyptic eastern block country there will be loads of M4's and M16's and MP5's and high powered military grade sniper rifles and suppressed weapons. The AK's make sense though. Furthermore I find it hard to believe that Joe Schmoe survivor is going to be able to effectively make use of a .50 cal sniper rifle upon first gaining access to one. Unless we're all supposed to be highly trained marksmen. I can see a scoped hunting rifle of some kind, and even SOME military grade weapons given that there are military bases present. The weapons available in this game do NOT fit the narrative IMO.

Aside from the weapons, how does the narrative support GPS? If the whole world is infected who's managing the satellites and general infrastructure? How long do the batteries last?

I accept that maybe the frequency of these weapons could be due to scripters. Giving me a misconception as to the intended frequency with which these weapons are available.

I did read that post where Rocket said he wanted to move the weaponry in a more "find at home" direction. I really hope it goes a long way in that direction with these ridiculous weapons being EXTREMELY rare.

One more thing is the frequency and effectiveness of Coke and Pepsi in regards to hydration. IMO remove all those and force players to water pumps and ponds, making these a more contested resource.

/rant

I agree Brickle. I think the weapons are like this right now because Arma2 mainly has military gear, hopefully in the standalone it'll be more civilian type weaponry.

The non-russian weapons are there because in the "story" of DayZ the US and UK came to help with the infection. As can be seen by the British weapons at the helicopter crashes and the US humvee wrecks scattered all around the map. Which might mean that other countries aren't infected, so they're maintaining the GPS satellite network. Even in an apocalypse I'm betting the GPS network would keep going for a long time. I might be wrong about that, but it would seem silly to make it dependent on the surface.

Agreed about the drinks. I would like to see that extended to the food as well. A can of food should be rare, forcing players out into the wild to hunt for meat. And when I say rare, I don't mean impossible to find, I mean like you search a supermarket and find 1 or two cans, not 10+ like it is now. There should be enough to keep you alive, but not enough to refill your blood level.

I pretty much agree. I also find it hard to believe that in a post apocalyptic eastern block country there will be loads of M4's and M16's and MP5's and high powered military grade sniper rifles and suppressed weapons. The AK's make sense though. Furthermore I find it hard to believe that Joe Schmoe survivor is going to be able to effectively make use of a .50 cal sniper rifle upon first gaining access to one. Unless we're all supposed to be highly trained marksmen. I can see a scoped hunting rifle of some kind, and even SOME military grade weapons given that there are military bases present. The weapons available in this game do NOT fit the narrative IMO.

Aside from the weapons, how does the narrative support GPS? If the whole world is infected who's managing the satellites and general infrastructure? How long do the batteries last?

I accept that maybe the frequency of these weapons could be due to scripters. Giving me a misconception as to the intended frequency with which these weapons are available.

I did read that post where Rocket said he wanted to move the weaponry in a more "find at home" direction. I really hope it goes a long way in that direction with these ridiculous weapons being EXTREMELY rare.

One more thing is the frequency and effectiveness of Coke and Pepsi in regards to hydration. IMO remove all those and force players to water pumps and ponds, making these a more contested resource.

/rant

I dunno, see I wander around the lands of Chernarus and you know what I see, burnt out military vehicles, dead soldiers, mass graves, road blocks, military heli's crashed in fields, military camps, and a military airfield. Now I think to myself something epic has happened here, a major military operation so I am in no way surprised to find military grade weapons everywhere it seems to fit perfectly with the narrative of what I see any way.

On second thought, yeah, a high amount of M16's and some M240's and M249's could be justified by the apparent U.S. military presence. Also with the British weaponry I suppose. I maintain that high power sniper rifles would not be nearly as numerous and with such variety though. Honestly, what's the ratio of infantry to snipers in the military... it can't be better than 100:1 even can it? I really don't know for sure. I also maintain that not just anybody could be particularly effective with military grade sniper rifles without proper training. I have no "training" myself (aside from just shooting paper targets occasionally) but I can be quite effective with a .03-06 within 200 yards, but I don't expect I could shoot a .50 cal very well at some of the distances achieved in this game.

BTW can you tell I'm fed up with being sniped all the time?

If the story is supposed to be an isolated outbreak, ok, the GPS could still work. I don't like that story though, I want the whole world to be fucked. That's just me though.

I think the ratio is pretty good actually. I've found exactly 1 m107 and 0 as50s from actual loot spawns. But, I can't count the amount of ak and m4 variants I've seen. It's all the hacking, duping & infinite ammo glitches that make them seem common.

Cross hairs- weapons with large scopes suddenly become effective in close quarters.

Nametags- Makes being stealthy pointless, and removes all doubt about who is who.

Location names- (name of the region upon logging in) Makes it too easy to identify where exactly you are, the computer is never wrong.

Kill messages- Fire some bullets, wait for kill message, rinse and repeat.

Waypoints- Don't know where 'X' is? Set a waypoint. Got lost? Set a waypoint.

Map markers- (player icon) GPS without a GPS? What's the point of finding a GPS then?

I don't think any of the above fits in with the spirit of DayZ. Of course they can (mostly) be disabled by a server admin. But, when you give people the option of turning something on it's part of the game. Inevitably someone who doesn't like the options is going to be forced to play with them. Perhaps LOTS of people don't like these options, but when the populated servers mostly have the same options, we're left with no choice.

I feel like all these bells and whistles are turning a hardcore milsim mod into a mainstream casual videogame. Am I the only one feeling this way? How do people justify those "easy mode" options?

As you stated, most the stuff you mentioned can be changed by the server admin.

I suggest you stop playing on recruit and regular servers and come jump on our veteran servers.

Edited by Col. Kurtz

As you stated, most the stuff you mentioned can be changed by the server admin.

I suggest you stop playing on recruit and regular servers and come jump on our veteran servers.

My post wasn't about my own personal gaming experience. I have no problems finding servers that I can enjoy.

I raised the question because the majority seem to prefer all these options to be on. Most of the populated servers are regular or recruit. It doesn't take that long to get the hang of this game, so it's obvious that a lot of people want DayZ to be a more casual game than I do. I'm curious why they want such a different game. Rocket has always painted such a hardcore picture for DayZ, I didn't expect the majority of players to want HUD crosshairs, for example.

Edited by bad_mojo

I love it how the first post on all of these "Hurr durr, not realistic, Hurr durr," threads are always a meme.

Just find a server with the shit disabled, and don't bitch about it.

I think the ratio is pretty good actually. I've found exactly 1 m107 and 0 as50s from actual loot spawns. But, I can't count the amount of ak and m4 variants I've seen. It's all the hacking, duping & infinite ammo glitches that make them seem common.

I have found exactly two AS50's at legit loot spawns, and no M107's. I have had dozens more M107's and AS50's off of dead survivors.

I love how people automatically default to the "it's in the game, deal with it" attitude when you ask about stuff like this. Like I'm personally attacking their style of play.

This is a forum for an alpha mod, we should be discussing the game and the ways it should or shouldn't be changed. If you enjoy all those options, WHY do you enjoy them? Perhaps your responses will help me enjoy them more? Perhaps I'm missing out on some interesting aspects of those features I always shy away from.

I have found exactly two AS50's at legit loot spawns, and no M107's. I have had dozens more M107's and AS50's off of dead survivors.

Including tents I'd estimate I've seen over a hundred of both. Fucking hacks and dupes.

So WHY you play on newb/recriut servers then OP????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST PLAY ON EXPERT SERVER THEN!!! god damnit ppl these days wtf srsly man are you that dumb?

Edited by Magicool
  • Like 1

My post wasn't about my own personal gaming experience. I have no problems finding servers that I can enjoy.

I raised the question because the majority seem to prefer all these options to be on. Most of the populated servers are regular or recruit. It doesn't take that long to get the hang of this game, so it's obvious that a lot of people want DayZ to be a more casual game than I do. I'm curious why they want such a different game. Rocket has always painted such a hardcore picture for DayZ, I didn't expect the majority of players to want HUD crosshairs, for example.

They want that kind of game simply because they don't desire a hard core shooter. The majority that want the weird crap aren't your old school PC shooter guys. It's mostly the newer generations that want the weird names dots and what have you.