Gordon Axeman

Training over time (Character skilling)

Should this be implemented?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. ...

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but in another way (unlike the OP said)

STANDALONE SUGGESTION

Edits will be done if new ideas occur.

For now amount of time you' ve survived is just a stat. Nothing more.

I thought about how to use this and now here is a solution. I suggest a training system. For example, the more you run, the higher becomes your endurance (you can run more without exhaustion).

It is introduced in:

1) Running. The more you run, the longer you can run without exhaustion.

2) Shooting. The more you shoot a current weapon, the more skillful your char becomes in shooting it. It gives you an accuracy bonus and makes reloading quicker. Also lowers the recoil. IMHO, sniper rifles should not be buffed. (This is for you to decide)

3) Driving. The more you drive, the smoother is the steering (you don't lose agility along with this).

4) Repairing (optional, i dunno about its necessarity). If you do lots of repair, parts of car will be better installed and buff the car with:

Hull - harder to break body (more body "hp")

Wheels - speed bonus, harder to break down competely (tires do not become harder to pop)

Engine - speed bonus

Fueltank - less fuel consumed

5) Hunting - you get more steaks from gutting

6) Medic - it takes less time to perform medical operations.

These features will be bound to your current char. If you die the skills are rolled back to default.

This is not gonna give you PvP advantages, on the contary, it will boost roleplay. Also the skills are invisible - no levels, no "talent" points. This will fit DayZ perfectly - realistic, easy system, which helps you to survive, and not to deathmatch. The life will be even more valuable.

What do you think?

Edit: Got another idea. I read a topic about spawn variety (military, residential, hunter, etc.) So if it's implemented in-game, maybe various spawns should have different skill sets?

P.S. This is a rough conception, your additions and ideas are welcome.

Please give constructive feedback, comments like "You are a moron, your idea is shit" are not welcome.

Edited by Kpekep2
  • Like 2

Nope.. will only encourage the grinders...

+ a even bigger reason for hackers to just Kill everyone without question.. Now they dont really get anything from duing it, since most of us have camps with the gear we're using anyway

Edited by Minamo

+ a even bigger reason for hackers to just Kill everyone without question.. Now they dont really get anything from duing it, since most of us have camps with the gear we're using anyway

This is a suggestion for standalone. And the development, IMO, should NOT count with hackers. It should give then a good kick and disable all the hole. HACKERS ARE NOT A PART OF THE GAME.

Edit: How can you grind, for example, running? About shooting, yes, it will. If I were a survivor, I would practise shooting every day. About driving and repairing - IRL, you also need practice. And this will also boost roleplay.

Edited by Kpekep2

This is a suggestion for standalone. And the development, IMO, should NOT count with hackers. It should give then a good kick and disable all the hole. HACKERS ARE NOT A PART OF THE GAME.

Would still only grant people the satisfaction of destorying other peoples time put into the game by killing them. Edited by James Ashwood

I like the idea of skills it only makes sense and is realistic, If I went around and actually repaired cars all day it only makes sense that I would get better at it with more experience. I think the reason people don't want classes is because they think it will give people a starting advantage but if everyone started a new character then there's no advantage at all your a brand new guy with no skills at all.

Would still only grant people the satisfaction of destorying other peoples time put into the game by killing them.

Hey guys, I don't know if you know this or even played day z at all, but getting killed and losing all your shit already happens, hacker or not. Rule !. Don't get attached to your gear. If you're a day 34 character you WILL get killed eventually, so why not be a little better at some non game breaking things while you're alive to reward you for making it to fucking day 34?

Plus, whats wrong with grinders? some people love that aspect of games, here's a scenario " Hey guiz i just got back from an empty server that i've been playing on for a week, look at me it takes 4% longer for me to get dehydrated!" the only player that's getting hurt is himself.

Edited by That Guy

Not really fond of that idea. What I like about DayZ you can enjoy it even as a casual player. You can take a break, come back and don't have to fear being left behind.

As far as I have understood you will be able to skill your character in the stand alone but it is not going to be permanent. You can reskill if you want. However, whatever they decide to introduce I just hope it won't go the route of other MMORPGs like WoW where you have to invest a massive amount of time in the game just to receive leather shorts enabling you to fly or something like that.

• Like 1

Not really fond of that idea. What I like about DayZ you can enjoy it even as a casual player. You can take a break, come back and don't have to fear being left behind.

As far as I have understood you will be able to skill your character in the stand alone but it is not going to be permanent. You can reskill if you want. However, whatever they decide to introduce I just hope it won't go the route of other MMORPGs like WoW where you have to invest a massive amount of time in the game just to receive leather shorts enabling you to fly or something like that.

The thing is that you have gained a skill, hm, in running. You dc'ed, returned and it's ok.

Of course, it requires some time, but DayZ is realistic. The more you train, the better is the result.

Just like a XP level in mmorpg. It's permanent. People that invest lots of time up into the game will thrive anyway, so this can't ruin anything.

Would still only grant people the satisfaction of destorying other peoples time put into the game by killing them.

It grants satisfaction for now too. People kill even the fresh-spawned, so what are you talking about? A kill will always be a satisfaction, until devs will grant communication.

Edited by Kpekep2

These systems don't just encourage grinding they encourage taking gamey actions to better assist with grinding. Thus players that *Play* the game but don't have additional time to grind repetative gamey actions or don't get enjoyment out of these non game related actions are punished. There is really no way around this thus I am not for any type of learn as you go system.

Example: medical skills

Shoot friend and then heal friend, over and over.....

Running

Find fence run against fence while afk...

Repairing-

Repair car body, damage car body repair car body....

This isn't playing the game IMO its doing stupid shit to take advantage of a system. If upgradeable skills are included IMO the only way you should get skill points is by the amount of time you've been alive, this is open to exploitation by people leaving their character IG while AFK but there can be idle timers that check if you moved locations, and if people put on auto run and go afk they are taking a big enough risk that I would find it acceptable.

• Like 1

passive skills sound fine to me, but they had better wipe on every death, unlike items you can't loot skill from yourself xD

being able to afk to gain them by doing nothing is stupid, if someone wants to waste hours shooting then healing a friend, let them. When he gets killed and loses anything he gained it'll just be wasted time on both their parts.

That way people that are actually doing things will get some extra benefits from their actions during their life, and if they die, well they're dead .

passive skills sound fine to me, but they had better wipe on every death, unlike items you can't loot skill from yourself xD

being able to afk to gain them by doing nothing is stupid, if someone wants to waste hours shooting then healing a friend, let them. When he gets killed and loses anything he gained it'll just be wasted time on both their parts.

That way people that are actually doing things will get some extra benefits from their actions during their life, and if they die, well they're dead .

You are right. I don't think people will waste hours to grind skills. But it makes death more valuable, as you lose all your skills with the killed char, and boosts roleplay a bit. I thought about doctor skills but there is no field to use them for now.

I absolutely love this idea.

As for giving people more incentive to kill other players? How so? People already kill on sight and I don't see this idea effecting anybody's decision to kill. It may even deter people from combat a little more, which in turn would make people less likely to kill on sight.

I also think this idea should follow your account and not your player. We all know you shouldn't get attached to your gear, and grinding or playing for hours to get your stats up just to be killed in your first firefight might just make people give up and quit the game.

I also think this idea should follow your account and not your player. We all know you shouldn't get attached to your gear, and grinding or playing for hours to get your stats up just to be killed in your first firefight might just make people give up and quit the game.

Some people lose SVD's, NVG's and so on when they die. And they don't give up. Also, maybe THIS will at last make people not to run through cherno at full speed, but maybe a little more careful.

The other point is that these skills don't worth spending hours to grind.

Hey guys, I don't know if you know this or even played day z at all, but getting killed and losing all your shit already happens, hacker or not. Rule !. Don't get attached to your gear. If you're a day 34 character you WILL get killed eventually, so why not be a little better at some non game breaking things while you're alive to reward you for making it to fucking day 34?

It still increases the satisfaction for trolls, because then you can take something from them that they can't just loot within a few minutes again.

And what exactly would this 'non game breaking thing' be? I just don't see the point in this.

It still increases the satisfaction for trolls, because then you can take something from them that they can't just loot within a few minutes again.

And what exactly would this 'non game breaking thing' be? I just don't see the point in this.

Do you play DayZ? Have you not noticed people shooting on sight? This idea could not possibly make people kill other players any more than they already do.

Trolls will be destroyed, we believe in rocket :)

And for now, do you give a damn about how satisfied the troll is? He will kill you anyway, and that's what I really care about.

The non-breaking thing is the skills. You haven't understood the topic, man.

Im pretty meh towards this. Like some1 said, i disapprove of an idea that allows for someone who doesnt play so much, like me, to have a disadvantage to some1 who is obsessed. I think I shouldnt be penalized just because I dont play that much. If he has an AK and I have an AK, I shouldnt lose because he played 10 hrs more than me. Just saying.

Im pretty meh towards this. Like some1 said, i disapprove of an idea that allows for someone who doesnt play so much, like me, to have a disadvantage to some1 who is obsessed. I think I shouldnt be penalized just because I dont play that much. If he has an AK and I have an AK, I shouldnt lose because he played 10 hrs more than me. Just saying.

That's why you play on regular servers while the men play on veteran servers. Problem solved.

Death should suck, and skills or anything that can not be taken by another player should not be tied to your account becaues that would negate perma death, all it would do is reset your location...

Some people lose SVD's, NVG's and so on when they die. And they don't give up. Also, maybe THIS will at last make people not to run through cherno at full speed, but maybe a little more careful.

The other point is that these skills don't worth spending hours to grind.

WTF is the point of content if there is no value in it, we're advocating for having things included just to have them? That makes no sense, if there is no point or so little value that people don't care if they have them then why even have that content in the game??

IMO Skills should be important, if your not "skilled" with a gun can you reload it in seconds or take it apart and clean it?? If you don't know how to drive a stick shift car are you making a quick escape with the car? Can any average joe jump in a chopper and fly it?

Skills and what your skilled in should have some measurable effects, the balance is that you get to pick what ones you have and there would be some way to improve/learn them while playing the game.

There is a huge difference in saying someone should not have an advantage because they play more and saying in a heads up fight there should be no difference. If you did not have tangible benefits from playing longer/more what would be the point this would simply be another pure FPS shooter like COD/Battlefield, where gameplay is jump in jump out and nothing really persists.

So long as skills do not effect the amount of health or damage dealt then they have no effect on player conflict, if your better at aiming or can set up an ambush then you win at PVP, I to want this preserved because its part what I think is so appealinga and refreshing about DayZ. I think skills can be implemented in such a way as to have little to no effect on direct combat, but can have huge effects on surviving and indirect combat like reloading, weapon maintenence, piloting vehicles, etc.

WTF is the point of content if there is no value in it, we're advocating for having things included just to have them? That makes no sense, if there is no point or so little value that people don't care if they have them then why even have that content in the...

I wanted to say that those skills are much better to earn during gameplay, not to farm them. Of course, practice should take place, but it shouldn't turn into farming. We have to find an optimal line between great importance and uselessness for the skills.

I wanted to say that those skills are much better to earn during gameplay, not to farm them. Of course, practice should take place, but it shouldn't turn into farming. We have to find an optimal line between great importance and uselessness for the skills.

If people can min/max or take advantage of a system they will, if you don't want them to be able to do so it must be in the basic design of the feature/content otherwise its what people will do. The number of people doing it will slowly increase "becaues everyone else does it" and no one wants to be left behind or realize that sometimes you do operate at a disadvantage. So then everyone just farms everything, and you have WOW and the Devs add more farming features because its easy and keeps people occupied.

You could impose limits on skill growth for a given time period but then people will just afk for a bit between farming sessions, and it would punish people for activley playing for extended periods. I also disagree that having "crappier" skills will have any effect on farming, those that would farm will farm, those that don't want skills or want to play DM in cherno won't do anything to gain skills.

These systems don't just encourage grinding they encourage taking gamey actions to better assist with grinding. Thus players that *Play* the game but don't have additional time to grind repetative gamey actions or don't get enjoyment out of these non game related actions are punished. There is really no way around this thus I am not for any type of learn as you go system.

Example: medical skills

Shoot friend and then heal friend, over and over.....

Running

Find fence run against fence while afk...

Repairing-

Repair car body, damage car body repair car body....

This isn't playing the game IMO its doing stupid shit to take advantage of a system. If upgradeable skills are included IMO the only way you should get skill points is by the amount of time you've been alive, this is open to exploitation by people leaving their character IG while AFK but there can be idle timers that check if you moved locations, and if people put on auto run and go afk they are taking a big enough risk that I would find it acceptable.

Don't we do this IRL, except we don't run afk.

I think it's a great idea if it gets wiped when you permadeth.

Hopefully they introduce lockpicks and awareness and things like that. I hate MMORPG's and RPG's but MMO and some skillsets that keep the game entertaining when not always PVPing is good IMO.

I agree that skills should reset with death and I am for a skill system, and if you got SP's for shooting fine but is shooting your friend so you can practice bandaging him authentic to the actions someone would take? I think not, thus a learn as you go system needs to be very heavily regulated with checks to stop farming, and all of that takes resources and those resources could be used for other actions like more Z's or a wind system, etc. Because of this I prefer a simpler system that is not so open to exploitation. If you can fix the exploitation somehow great, I can't think of enough ways to combat it myself.