Sign in to follow this  
Soupee

Why do they always have to shoot? (My first PK)

Well, I found a Bizon at a chopper crash shortly before dark. I was in the general vacinity of the NW airfield, not many folks on the server as it started to get dark. I decided since I had a surpressed weapon I'd make a go at it in the dark. Got in and searched the first few hangars with little to no loot. Had a kill a zombie with the Bizon. I was near the back 3/4 of one of the hangars when I heard another shooter nearby and off to the right. So I hunkered down in the corner hoping he didn't see/hear me and would just pass by...

Well, of course he knows I'm there. He approaches... I switched from Bizon to DMR ( before deciding that I wanted to be able to see both sides of the opening of the hangar) then to my M16A2. He gets close to the opening and I can see what looks like the front end of a DMR but he stops. He drops back some and chucks a flare into the hangar. No communication from him or from me... I'm tired of announcing my presence as friendly just to have someone smear me and I'm not letting my guard down long enough to type or press voice button. He poked around while he was prone... I let him take the first shot (I'm not a PK and never will be... if I wanted to play Counter Strike I would). He hit me for a couple thousand damage, maybe a less... Then I lit him up with a few bursts and it was all over for him. It's a damn shame too... he had quite a bit of decent stuff including a ghillie suit and a ton of STANAG SD magazines. So that was my first player kill.

It was pretty freaking intense... and honestly probably the most "emotion" a video game has ever got out of me. I felt bad... still do, not that I defended myself, but that so few people don't shoot on sight. That said he didn't DC or alt-f4, so I guess that was honorable. He had water but I didn't see any food on him. Had a few cooked meats he would have been more than welcome to should he have not been a shoot on sight fella.

So [TSN] Newt, why'd you have to shoot? :(

- Soupee (aka - still upright and taking nourishment)

Also... thanks for screwing up my humanity. I was doing pretty good having bandaged and bloodbagged a few less fortunate guys along the way and approaching hero status. Hell, I even shot the zombies off a bleeding bandit the other day... He did stop long enough to take the M107 out of my pack, so lesson learned there I think.

Edited by Soupee
  • Like 4

The risk of you shooting first, if you have the choice wouldn't you start the fight on your own and have a chance of coming out alive rather than taking a bullet in the back?

Humanity means nothing by the way.

I think I am answering your question. If I'm not I apologize. When I first started out I hated killing other players, I still do actually, and never did. Of course I would pay the consequences and get killed because of trusting what seemed like friendly people. Eventually I was fed up with it and decided I couldn't take it anymore, and killed most players on sight. Anyways, my answer is players have just become conditioned to shoot when they see other players, because in their experience if they don't the other player will shoot first.

That's my take on it.

The risk of you shooting first, if you have the choice wouldn't you start the fight on your own and have a chance of coming out alive rather than taking a bullet in the back?

Humanity means nothing by the way.

How com I saw a guy running around in a turbin the other day? Or did they disable that again? I don't keep up on the patch stuff like I should... I just like to play.

Maybe he shot you because you were too lazy to say you were friendly, lmao.

He has me pinned in the back of the hangar and he's on the outside... he is going to initiate the hostile contact, not me. Maybe he was throwing a flare as a sign of his enduring friendship... seems to me he had time to do that he could have typed. I wasn't going anywhere until he left on account of getting my ass handed to me the moment I walk out of the hangar. That coupled with a rough couple of days of being PKed after announcing my friendly status.

I think I am answering your question. If I'm not I apologize. When I first started out I hated killing other players, I still do actually, and never did. Of course I would pay the consequences and get killed because of trusting what seemed like friendly people. Eventually I was fed up with it and decided I couldn't take it anymore, and killed most players on sight. Anyways, my answer is players have just become conditioned to shoot when they see other players, because in their experience if they don't the other player will shoot first.

That's my take on it.

I told my brother awhile back that DayZ was Counter Strike with a more difficult and drawn out buying process. That's over simplifying it, but it's really too bad. I think it would be nice to have say... a 75% chance that your encounters with other players won't end in one or both of you dying. At this point it is what it is... I've played quite a bit in the past several week and have only killed one other player, I guess that's not too bad.

Enjoyed the read. I know that guilty feeling, I had that once.. Long time ago now mind you.. *stares off into the distance*

I think allot of it is due to players not bothering to learn some basic arma controls, like holster weapon, salute, stuff like that. so you end up with everyone having weapons constantly ready to fire. kinda wish there was a button for loading a live round since that makes a very clear sound and signal of your intentions.... course ill bet most of the cod players would complain about spawning, finding a gun, and not being able to fire it because they were to lazy to read the controls.

course ill bet most of the cod players would complain about spawning, finding a gun, and not being able to fire it because they were to lazy to read the controls.

You betcha.

@OP: It's the fear of getting killed. I also regret when I kill another player, especially if I receive a murder for that but what can you do? There are many players out there yelling friendly and then shooting you in the back. This is survival, you do what you have to do.

The only time you should feel guilty killing someone is when you do this..

Befriending them. Then killing them

Edited by Jtyler1995

not that hard to press caps locks.

ya really should have jus said friendly

Its difficult to do that sometimes. I recently had an encounter with a player. I seen him well before he seen me. I layed down in the grass and he ran past. I just layed there and watched him pass. He must have alt looked over his should because suddenly he turns around and starts shooting at me, every shot misses and he just stops and stands still. I didn't want to shoot him, but I didn't want to advertise that I was alive and give him the chance to unload another clip in my direction. I wasn't sure if he was firing warning shots or if he was trying to kill me and wasn't sure if he had hit/killed me. I had intended on calling friendly if he seen me, but as soon as he did he started started shooting. He was probably startled by seeing me lieing in the grass so close, but still he should have scanned his area before running through not after and once he seen me he should have taken cover for a firing position or to talk to me and indicate that he was friendly or not.

I mean, I could have killed him before he even seen me. Then after he unloaded a clip at me I could have dropped him again. In order for there to be a process, both sides have to follow ettiquette. That's just not happening right now.

Edited by sostronk

I've done the watching/waiting then call out friendly only for them to then shoot me. Honestly it is either avoid or, if cornered like I was, defend. There are so few willing to bloodbag or bandage you it is sad... they'd rather kill you when all you have is a hatchet to see if you are hiding something I guess.