eddie820

ARMA 2 regulars and people who got it for DayZ

I'm interested to know how many of you have played ARMA before DayZ existed. There seems to still be a huge amount of people that apparently jump in and don't bother to learn any of the controls and keep asking by chat what they would easily learn doing the training and playing singleplayer.

I personally never asked anyone when I was starting out in ARMA, I did all the training and I've spent hours upon hours alone in the armory learning to fly helos and jets.

What i'm trying to get at is, while most ARMA regulars will gladly make an effort to explain stuff to new players as I still do to this day, it seems very few are even making the effort to find out for themselves.

I was planning to get ARMA II but couldn't really think of a justification to drop 30$ on it. DayZ was that justification.

I play ARMA II aswell, but mainly DayZ.

ARMA is good training for learning to shoot, if you go in cold never having played it, most people don't compensate for bullet drop and stuff like that. I still play regular arma as much as I can, not sure if I'll get the new dlc coming this year but we'll see.

I got it just for Day Z. The controls weren't hard to pick up. A lot of people just don't even bother checking control options before jumping into a game.

Been playing since OFP. You think the controls are bad now? Try managing your inventory with nothing but the action menu.

Also, you didn't used to be able to move and reload at the same time.

Been playing since OFP. You think the controls are bad now? Try managing your inventory with nothing but the action menu.

Also' date=' you didn't used to be able to move and reload at the same time.

[/quote']

I started with OFP as well, man that game was awesome.

I played ARMA free a few times, but I could never get a feel for the controls. Once DayZ came out I actually got used to the controls, so now I play ARMA II all the time.

Well i had tried a demo for arma, played for about 2 seconds. When i got dayz the fist thing i did was find a map and bookmark it, and bookmark the manual with the controls for OA and have them on my other monitor. easy...

I've tried to play ARMA outside of Day Z, but it's just too slow. I run 500 meters to the objective, only to end up in a 15 second firefight. Call me a FPS fanboy, but I like my shooter games to be a bit more exciting than that.

Battlefield is fun because you get right into the action within 10 seconds (and that's long for the game, if you squad spawn it's immediate). I don't really play games to run around (see: MMO's) with occasional shooting, excluding Day Z (because it concerns zombies...but even then I'm starting to get bored with it).

I discovered ArmA in 2009 when I saw a trailer for ArmA 2 on some website, I got ArmA 1 and played it until early 2010 when I bought ArmA 2 (waited for some patches due to the bad release), since then I have bought every BIS release day 1.

I've discovered Arma 2 during BF2. It was a posted in some forum about realism. Since then I never went back. Arma 2 has taken over all games in my life. I gotten rid of my console games and moved to PC.

I remember renting OFP for xbox of ps3, not sure about BI, but my experience with the game was bad.

I tried the ARMA demo i just found it too simulator (well because it is) for my taste, i always played Project Reality for BF2 instead, been playing since .5 and still play. So its not like im much more of a different gamer, we still chose to go a realism route, you just prefer the ultra simulator opposed to the half game half simulation of PR.

Speaking of PR i wish people actually played PR:ARMA

Also i dont ask people how to do things, ill just mess with it and if i cant figure it out just go into key bindings, and theres the internet, another reason i like why they got rid of side chat and group chat, you cant just spam in game anymore asking how to do things you have to be with them on direct

I'll admit I only found the series long after Operation Flashpoint but I started playing Arma back in 2007. Since then probably in excess of 1000+ hours spent playing Arma + Arma2 and expansions.

And now suddenly all my friends acknowledge Arma 2 is a game, now that Day Z is out. Hah, nubs... but at least they're playing!

Started with ArmA. Ran convoys across Sahrani, doing all kinds of missions. When ArmAII came out, we ran ops all over Chernarus, Takistan and Zargabad. Zombies of a different sort, shall we say.

I love that Day Z has breathed new life into this franchise, and Chernarus, a most underused land mass. I love every square meter of it, and have trod almost all of it.

I tried to do the training but the context menu was always off screen so I gave up on that and just played. My friends and I learned all the controls together.

Also' date=' you didn't used to be able to move and reload at the same time.

[/quote']

I started with OFP as well, man that game was awesome.

Remember when climbing hills made you prone? Good times... I still use the sideways strafe trick to this day.

I was a long time arma 2 player. Was pretty happy when I found out about the dayz mod as I didn't have to buy anything.. And I can honestly say that the money I've spent on arma 2 and the expansions was VERY well worth it.

There's nothing much else that's really like arma 2 IMO.. Some games have some similar elements (I.e. dragon rising), but it takes some getting used to. You have to change your mindset pretty drastically from the 'normal' shooters to do well in the arma universe. It's really much more of a sim than a game IMO.

I got a trackir specifically for arma 2 (mostly for flying helis) and it grew on me. Now I use the trackir with dayz and it's great. It takes some getting used to but I think it really helps your situational awareness. And if you're lucky enough to find a vehicle it's a huge benefit.. Particularly with the quad. Few things are as exhilarating as getting a quad running and flying through the countryside in dayz :)

Started with flashpoint, RH and Resistance.

Could never complete the Resistance campaign though cos of my dumb assed AI team mates.

You: Take Cover!

Them: Crouches, stands, crouches, stands, runs out into the middle of the street, lies down and starts to spin round in circles.

You: /facepalm.

Didn't buy Dragon rising cos sod codemasters really.

/Finkle.

Default Head bob and track IR. Holy crap that made me puke.

I bought the game just for Day z and learned all the controls by myself that was around 1 -2 month ago so ive put 96 hours into day z so far which is pretty amazing.

I used to play ARMA 2 for the Project Reality mod, then I just stopped playing.

Never played ArmA 2 ever. Only with the DayZ mod.

I might get into ArmA seeing what a stupid console gamer fest all the other war game shooter series have become. I like simulations, especially tank and flight sims.

I started playing since Arma. I'm so glad this mod finally killed that stupid city life mod and make majority of player play something more appropriate to game engine.