Why would an ex-soviet nation have m249's and 240B's?

Have you played the original ArmA 2 campaign? The US were involved in a war in Chernarus' date=' so chances are there were still US Soldiers around when the outbreak started.

[/quote']

Lol, and what about ancient Enfield and Winchester 1866 in such great amount? Does cowboys were involved in a war too? Or before Chernarus became post-soviet republic, was it actualy British Colony or 51st State?

Have you played the original ArmA 2 campaign? The US were involved in a war in Chernarus' date=' so chances are there were still US Soldiers around when the outbreak started.

[/quote']

Im sure a lot of people here only just started playing Arma for the mod...

*cough*

(<- 3 years and counting)

I agree, those should be taken out as well :)

that heli crash?

Yes due to a server restart even though I had been sitting on the ground with it for 30 minutes it just went poof. It would be nice if the DayZ staff could give it back seeing as how long it took us to get it working and that we were very organized in its deployment. I don't think they could though so all the helicopters on my server are gone for good until they add more.

So far after many hours of gameplay I have NOT found a NVG... so they are pretty fricken hard to find!

make NVGs run on hard-to-obtain batteries' date=' thus forcing conservation of when they are used. problem solved.

[/quote']

I like this idea.

It would keep the benefit of NVGs, but limit their power vs the people without them.

Well almost all of the people in my group now have NVGs, and it makes us quite insanely powerful in any PvP scenario, really takes out the challenge of the game.

Logically there really isn't any way NVGs would be viable in a post-apocalyptic survival scenario. It would likely be impossible to find spare parts or charge the batteries they use, not to mention that an ex-soviet nation like Chernarus would be quite unlikely to even have them.

They're simply too much of a deus ex machina at this point and spoil the atmosphere of the game. Unless they can be curtailed like T. Penn suggested I think they should be removed entirely.

not to mention that an ex-soviet nation like Chernarus would be quite unlikely to even have them.

This mod takes place after the Arma II campaign

I started writing the bwelow and realized there is no way yet to stop exploits of a battery's charge level.

Might I suggest a true TEOTWAWKI scenario used by domsday preppers in the USA.

1. SOlar panels found on office/residential buildings.
2. Vehicle Batteries found on vehicles.
3. "D" Batteries for NVGs, such as standard consumer D batteries.

Solar panel+vehicle battery creates "solar power station". Power station saves to player like a deployed tent does.
Power station+ (1 hour of night=false) + consumer battery or NVG equiped player, scroll context menu, charge consumer battery or charge NVG battery.

IRL it would take something like 3.5 hours on a sunny bright summer day to recharge the batteries in military grade NVGs, but that would be horrifically boring.

PVS-7's take simple double A batteries. I am sure if there are M-249's laying around firehouses and flashlights and packs of chemlights a few packs of double A batteries would be easy peasy to find as well.

A good idea might be to take away the endless airfield camping that occurs. Make people do more looting, pillaging and searching for good gear instead of just simply airfield camping all day. Make it more random to find good gear instead of just camping one spot repetitively over and over and over again.

A good idea might be to take away the endless airfield camping that occurs. Make people do more looting' date=' pillaging and searching for good gear instead of just simply airfield camping all day. Make it more random to find good gear instead of just camping one spot repetitively over and over and over again.

[/quote']

More military bases like the one at Balota would be nice (or are they there already, not marked on map?). Might spread people out a bit. Also some kind of system that reduces spawn rates in heavily looted areas, so there's less benefit from camping an airfield for hours and looting it over and over.

To be fair NVG's aren't EVERYWHERE or as much as people make it seem and yeah the advantages of NVG players VS non-NVG players is huge but as suggested it can be countered with light and movement! most people I kill drop their lights and run into the dark and lay dawn...... this is silly, just keep running for your life you may get away(if you're lucky) ;)

They already took my TWS away :( don't take my NVG's too

The person who uses NVGs most effectively in undoubtedly the unseen lone-wolfer, who can spot a newbie or unsuspecting player from miles off, whilst remaining still and completely undetected.

Groups of survivors and cooperative players actually gain the least from these systems, and they are practically a disadvantage unless everyone in the group has them (have you ever tried to use NVGs in the light of a flare?).

NVGs offer a massive boon to the lone murderer and far less to the group or party. For this reason I believe they should be removed immediately.

The person who uses NVGs most effectively in undoubtedly the unseen lone-wolfer' date=' who can spot a newbie or unsuspecting player from miles off, whilst remaining still and completely undetected.

Groups of survivors and cooperative players actually gain the least from these systems, and they are practically a disadvantage unless everyone in the group has them (have you ever tried to use NVGs in the light of a flare?).

NVGs offer a massive boon to the lone murderer and far less to the group or party. For this reason I believe they should be removed immediately.

[/quote'] I'd argue but my stats kinda just put me in my place :(

Groups of survivors and cooperative players actually gain the least from these systems' date=' and they are practically a disadvantage unless everyone in the group has them (have you ever tried to use NVGs in the light of a flare?).

[/quote']

We had a nice system going the other day with the guy in our group who had NVGs leading us into towns, carrying a chemlight so we could follow behind him. Was very creepy walking though pitch darkness when he switches his flaslight on to point something out to us and we realise we're right in the middle of a town with zombies everywhere. But I still think they make night time too easy.

To be fair NVG's aren't EVERYWHERE or as much as people make it seem and yeah the advantages of NVG players VS non-NVG players is huge but as suggested it can be countered with light and movement! most people I kill drop their lights and run into the dark and lay dawn...... this is silly' date=' just keep running for your life you may get away(if you're lucky) ;)

They already took my TWS away :( don't take my NVG's too

[/quote']

I think I speak for most of us:

Screw you.

If your idea of fun is one shotting people blind to your existence with a .50 round with thermal sights, you're not a gamer, you're a sicko.

No I've played ArmA 2 since it came out, but that doesn't really mean anything because it's just a game. Who cares? You are not special because you have played ArmA 2 longer than anyone else. Calm down. Sorry I didn't bother reading the story that sets up the apocalyptic situation. I'm not going to waste my time listing every gun that shouldn't be in the game if it's supposed to be realistic, but if it makes you feel smart go ahead =P

It might balance out if there were night vision optics instead of actual NVG's though. I agree with that suggestion.

I think I speak for most of us:

Screw you.

If your idea of fun is one shotting people blind to your existence with a .50 round with thermal sights' date=' you're not a gamer, you're a sicko.

[/quote']

Well funny thing is I don't have the TWS any more so you don't really have to worry about that :) also most of my kills were at night with an M4 CCO/M14 with no NVGS. This is a survival game bro as Rocket said himself play however you want, so I play hunt the human and hope they have shiny things :) deal with it nerd

PS. TWS was getting kinda boring anyway, it's sorta like easy mode for the EU servers when you have it. Tried to use it on the US servers but that was like super easy mode ;) what server do you play on bacon55?? maybe i'll.......see you around :D xx

If the NVGs were removed I think the moon should make an appearance. I don't know if you can do this but maybe have a half moon or a crescent moon so there is still some light but still not enough to see more than a few metres in front.

I find it a bit annoying not being able to see even the ground you're standing on without lighting yourself up like a Christmas tree.

Can't you already not use NVGs with optics? If the TWS was the only night sighted gun and it's gone now I question if they'd need an outright removal. Maybe some kind of limiting mechanic, but if it still works like I remember it working for standard ARMA not a removal.

Maybe some kind of limiting mechanic' date=' but if it still works like I remember it working for standard ARMA not a removal.

[/quote']

At the very, very least they need a limiting mechanic. I'd be in favour of outright removal though.

remove nvgs (if it were for me, i'd take away all sniper rifles too as they're just used for assassinating players), boost the range of the chemlights a bit so that they can be used for more than tagging yourself in a group, but not so much that you don't need flares anymore. maybe make them scarcer, fix the flashlight and there you go.

I think that NVGs should be very rare, very useful items. As I don't have access to the server the same way the people who made the mod do, I don't know the exact spawn rate, but I can tell you that after hours on end of searching the only ones I found were the ones I took off of the corpse of someone I shot.

(On a side note, removing the M107 TWS was definitely a good idea in my opinion.)

It's very difficult to use optics with them (forget trying to track a moving target at range) and the glare from a muzzle flash is blinding, even when not aiming down the sight. Plus, if people realize you have them, you're likely to become quite the target to those with a bandit streak.

Although, adding night vision optics would maybe even things up for those who don't have NVGs. Make them uncommon, but not nearly as much so as NVGs are. It would give people at night something to even the playing field a bit, but you would have to constantly stop and look around with them for them to really be effective as NVGs are.

There's lots of different ways to address any grievances people may have with NVGs short of outright removing them (adding batteries, etc), and I think that dialogue on that topic would be very interesting to see.