Sign in to follow this  
Jony_RocketInMyPocket

Ragdoll physics in Standalone

Rocket mentioned recently that he intends to add ragdoll effects for the standalone. Also, that the standalone will be running on a special version of the RV engine, 'RV 3.5' - as opposed to Arma III's RV 4.0. They will be simpler ragdolls than the ones you will find in the upcoming Arma III.

I haven't seen how Arma III handles ragdolls, so maybe it's pretty realistic. But when Rocket says its going to be less sophisticated ragdoll physics system than the one in Arma III, that is where I get a little worried. Though as crazy as this may sound, I can't help but feel this will take away from the immersion. Like if you were to hit a zombie with a grenade and he shoots out hundreds of feet into the sky, with all his limbs intact, flopping around like a guy in Gary's Mod. I also wouldn't want a system like in L4D2 where cutting zombies limbs off is as intuitive as slicing butter, and the zombies barely acknowledge it. In GTAIV the 'realism' of the euphoria engine I guess was a step in the right direction, but in that too the animations seemed kind of - for lack of a better word - "off", also sluggish and floaty.

It's kind of a quandary I guess, since adding ragdolls arguably adds to the realism of a game, yet usually it also adds unintended cartoon-ish/comical occurrences that I think DayZ's atmosphere might do better without. I'm sure you guys have varying opinions on ragdolls in DayZ as well. Obviously we'll all find out how it turns out by years end.

Edited by Jony_RocketInMyPocket
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to the changes. Anything regarding the standalone is pure speculation at this point, we'll have to just wait and see...

I wouldn't worry too much, i think they simply are trying to keep a more basic approach to the rag doll to prevent network issues since they are planning on expanding server capacity too beyond 150 people with the stand alone. The more advanced the physics system the harder it is to network. Will still be much much better then what we have in the mod. I'm hoping for dismemberment!

They should implement the ragdolls featured in Max Payne 3 (first realistic ragdolls i´ve seen so far)

(but thats way off the budget i suppose)

They should implement the ragdolls featured in Max Payne 3 (first realistic ragdolls i´ve seen so far)

(but thats way off the budget i suppose)

They can't import something from another engine, wtf.
  • Like 1

They can't import something from another engine, wtf.

I think they can. Max payne 3 physics is also euphoria. Euphoria itself is a standalone physics engine that can be used by any developers, just like havok.

• Like 1